Thread: Windows Fax and Scan: Preview or scan images as separate files

Windows Fax and Scan: Preview or scan images as separate files

I am not able to find how to enable the "Preview or scan images as separate files" for a existing or new scan profile. When I check it then it is completely greyed out and what ever options I select, I am not able to make that box available for checking or tick marking. I am running on Windows Vista with a HP Officejet 6310 all-in-one Scanner on my computer with the updated drivers already installed and I am trying to scan different documents so that each of this document is scanned in as an individual pdf file.

I think that you should read the help files more precisely. The option that you are looking for only exists for someone who has cropped their image and are trying to save individual pictures as separate files. I also think that WFS is not able to create PDF files. All the functions that you need should be supplied by your scannr and not the WFS.

Re: Windows Fax and Scan: Preview or scan images as separate files

Amen. I am having the same problem with my scanner (grayed out option) and I understood Ilene's post with no problem. I'm still searching for a solution though! I've seen Russ's obnoxious reply over and over again - which is annoying to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by MaricaKay View Post
    Amen. I am having the same problem with my scanner (grayed out option) and I understood Ilene's post with no problem. I'm still searching for a solution though! I've seen Russ's obnoxious reply over and over again - which is annoying to say the least.
    Could you please tell us what is the make or model of the scanner that you are using? If a driver is not available or if you've updated the driver and still can't select the scanner, find out if your scanner uses TWAIN technology. TWAIN is an application programming interface (API) that is used to import images from scanners and digital cameras to your computer.

My scanner is an HP Officejet J4580 all-in-one. I was using it on my Mac but hooked it up to my PC laptop (Toshiba L555) the other day. It automatically downloaded everything except the driver so I found that myself and downloaded it. I THINK I was able to select more than one photo to scan on my Mac but it's been a while since I've used it on that computer so I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MaricaKay View Post
    My scanner is an HP Officejet J4580 all-in-one. I was using it on my Mac but hooked it up to my PC laptop (Toshiba L555) the other day. It automatically downloaded everything except the driver so I found that myself and downloaded it. I THINK I was able to select more than one photo to scan on my Mac but it's been a while since I've used it on that computer so I might be wrong.
    What is the operating system you have installed in your toshiba laptop? Download the latest version of the software for the printer FROM HERE and try installing it. You could also try running the HP Print diagnostic utility. Which you will get from the website or click on the following link:-
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...n&dlc=en&cc=us

hello-
    I know that this is an older post but it still applies to my current situation. I did a search for this problem which brought me to this site. According to Windows Help and Support in Windows 7 under "Scan a document or photo with Windows Fax and Scan" under "Notes", it says the following: "Some scanners can save individual documents or photos placed on the scanner bed as separate files. If your scanner has that capability, you can select the Preview or scan images as separate files check box. If your scanner doesn't have the capability, this option will be unavailable." So I guess your scanner and mine do not have this capability and that is probably why the check box is greyed out.

Goal: scan several documents so that each document is scanned in as an individual ... file. (which can be converted to pdf later on OR you could create a pdf directly from a scanner using Adobe Acrobat)
    Scanner: HP Deskjet F4180 all-in-one with the latest drivers.
    Thanks!

Hi Vistafied,

You mean to say that even after installing the scanning software for HP Deskjet F4180 the Preview or scan images as separate files checkbox is greyed out? Can you just try to go in your START menu and go in the HP folder. Select HP control center and under the FILE menu, select SCAN from there.