Thread: Mahjong Titans Scoring

Mahjong Titans Scoring

Hope somebody from here can tell me how exactly does the Mahjong Titans scoring works exactly. I recently installed Windows Vista and started playing the game but to me it does not seem to operate according to the explanations given in the rules. It does not seem to be consistent either.

Most of the time it offers bonuses whereas sometimes it dont. According to me it is because there is something to do with how much time has elapsed, or how many tiles i move. But even then, it doesn't explain all the randomness
    in the scoring.I tried searching for help on web but doesn't seems to be working.

Can anyone here provide some kind of help? Many Thanks.

RE: Mahjong Titans Scoring

Well i occasionally play this game hence dont have much experience but i can it could be because of elapsed time. yeah, it may make some difference. I hope some of the game manufacturer would be logged in here and tell us complete rules and specifically exactly what scores you get in each category, etc. By the way what do you find such interesting in this game? I am infact thinking to delete the same from my computer, its too boring.

Re: Mahjong Titans Scoring

Allow me to put some more on this topic. Actually the scoring system in Mahjong is centered around the wind tiles and the seasonal and floral tiles. When you play with all these three together, it gives you maximum score; i.e.,
    4 N, 4E, 4S, 4W will give you 500 points. Whereas on the other hand if you play the seasonal and floral tiles together, it will offer you about give you 300 points and also increases later during the game.

I've tried to apply jerkan's hints, but I never get 500 points for anything. What's happening for me is that the longer I play the lower my scores get, and I know I used to play worse in the beginning. It's like I'm getting punished for playing better...

Thanks Jerkan that seems to work!
    In order to get 500 points (I haven't succeeded yet) you need to get all four South Winds, then North winds then East winds etc. As in All 16 tiles in one go.
    Also don't click on hint as it adds to your time, which I didn't realise, thereby reducing your potential score.
    I also found the same thing as daisdy and have only just beaten the score I got the very first time I played.

So to get a high score:
    Clear all numbered tiles, birds, dragons as quickly as possible and then try to clear all four flowers and all fours seasons together, then finally try to set it up so you remove all 16 wind tiles in one go. This should net you a score in the region of 700 (more if you succeed with the 16 winds in one go I think...)

My high score is 1040 and my second high score is 1008.

I haven't figured out how all the scoring goes but agree with the postings - sort of. I'm not sure why the scores go up towards the end of the game. I don't know what makes them increase. I haven't been able to play more than 10 wind tiles at a time. If you have four that match, if you play them first and then other wind tiles you do better than vice versa. It seems that if you get the clinchers out of the way (the single on top and the one single left and the two singles right) that maybe the points go up.

If you play wind tiles early, the bonus can be very small. Later in the game, a streak of 10 can be 300 or so points.

I've been playing the turtle and usually a total of 750 or so.
    Just got 934, my first over 700. Don't know what I did right but I've
    been wanting to quit and this is this best way to go out.
    This game is addicting. Enjoy!

I'm addicted to it too. I believe I started playing it when some guy named Ron (can't remember last name) in 1989/90 came out with early computer versions of game. From what I remember, he was near master status of the real table version in China. I remember seeing pics of him playing from a website. And I think he was one of a few Americans who could play the actual Chinese version. And you would have to expect his Chinese was probably good too because there are certain things that you are supposed to say when you discard a tile. I later worked as an English teacher in China and have played the actual Mahjong game--complete with popup gizmo in middle of table. I thought it was a good thing to be curious about learning how to play a Chinese game. But the locals don't seem to care much. It took some time for me to learn the tiles, but I did okay after watching intensly for a few weeks--so as to understand scoring, and matching (after putting with being in a super smoke filled room-cough). The actual game is completly different from this method. But the early versions were based on playing against the clock. The clock on this version is not like Ron's version. But that is the best I can explain as to scoring. Simply know the tiles well enough to go as fast as you can to clear the board. If I remember his last name (which I can probably find), I'll try to remember to post it here for your amusement.