Thread: Windows Vista 64Bit Defender Fail Error - 0x800106ba-0x80092003

Windows Vista 64Bit Defender Fail Error - 0x800106ba-0x80092003

I am using Windows Vista 64Bit. Recently after Windows Update I facing a weird error related to Windows Defender. It is not working at all. The error number is 0x800106ba-0x80092003 which appear on startup. I tried to find some information on this error remember on Microsoft Knowledge base. It was clearly mentioned that I have to remove and reinstall Defender to stop error. But I cannot locate option to remove and re-install stuff back again. There is no method available to perform the action. What should I do to get this error fixed. Thanks.

Do one thing, run Windows Update back again. It looks some new updates related to Windows Defender is either broken or not installed properly because of which you are getting that error. In Windows Update you can find the list of all updates. You can manually choose update related to Defender. That will fix the issue. Do that after rebooting your computer. If possible to try to uninstall all updates and run fresh updates back again. This will fix Windows Defender issue back. You have to set Defender service on automatic. You can do that from Control Panel > Services > Windows Defender > Right click and set the same on automatic. To get a bit more help you can also try McAfee site advisor fix.

I am too dealing with Defender issue. I had seen a number of issue only arise in Windows Vista, while XP works quiet nicely. It looks there are tons of bugs still exist in this operating system. Now as you said to fix the issue via update, it did not helped much. I tried to run System Restore. This is the only option left for me. I had set the defender service on automatic. But if you reset that on manual, the error is will no longer appear on start. Instead of that use a good antivirus program.

re: Windows Vista 64Bit Defender Fail Error - 0x800106ba-0x80092003

Some of the solutions which are mentioned above does not really work for Windows Vista 64bit. After last update in my system, I do not know how Defender started automatically. I am not using this at all. When I got the error 0x800106ba I did changes to Windows Update as mentioned above. But now I am getting a new error which is -- application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. The RPC server is unavailable. Vista is getting more annoying now.

Somehow when new updates are installed in your computer you need a proper reboot so that all changes are properly done. There are certain modification done to Windows registry also. If those are incomplete or invalid the error is common. You can manage the by fixing by Windows registry. There is a small tool called as Regcure which is free on web. You can download and run that. It will fix out the registry errors in your computer. If there is any invalid or missing keys you can simply use this to remove it. After running Regcure, go on Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > right click on Windows Defender > Automatic. You can see it in the system tray. Restart your PC and I hope that will work fine.

I had gone with number of things to fix this thing. But at last I am happy to find that it started working back again. The solution for removing the updates first and then re-installing it back again worked I found the update kb number which is KB931099. Remove this one and then re-install this back again. It will fix the defender issue.

That was nice catch. I had set the defender service on manual to avoid that error. By setting on manual the defender service stopped working. That is just the temporary solution. But has helped me for sometime. I tried that removing KB update and re-installing back again. It is working now. Thanks for that.

I solved my issue by removing Defender from msconfig startup. It is not working so there is no error on starutp. I keep my Windows update and hope in future I can get a proper fix for the same.

1 Go to control Panel and click on Administrative tools.
    2 Click on services and a new windows will appear.
    3 Look up for windows defender and right click on it, click on
    properties and select automatic, it should be on manual, change it to
    automatic and click apply then o.k. and will take you back to the
    services windows.
    4 Windows Defender should be highlighted and on the left hand side of
    the services windows, should be 2 links, click restart.
    5 Close all windows and open Windows Defender, it should work without a
    problem and your popup window at start up will not be display any
    longer

Three years on and it worked again!