Thread: Windows DVD Maker will not recognize my DVD burner

Windows DVD Maker will not recognize my DVD burner

Earlier i was using Windows XP on my home desktop, last week i upgraded the same to Windows Vista. Everything is working fine except the DVD Maker. Whenever i try to burn any DVD from Windows DVD makerit will not let me select my dvd burner from the pull down menu because it is blank.

I am there is no problem with My burner because it was working fine with Nero Trial edition when i used it earlier. Any idea where is the problem and how can i get rid of the same? Many thanks.

I am using Vista Ultimate with exactly the same problem. My DVD RW LiteOn Lightscribe works perfectly with NERO but when i want to use it with Windows DVD maker it wont allow me to select my DVD writer. The list remains blank. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Windows DVD Maker will not recognize my DVD burner

I was struggling with this problem earlier this month but fortunately managed to fix the problem after spending lots of hours on web. While searching for the solution only i came to through an article where a guy said that windows updates being the solution so I turned updates back on and did a full update. I installed all recent patches available through Update and guess what, the problem disappeared. Everything is working fine now.

You guys give it a try. Hope this helps!

I too have the same problem but I've at least narrowed it down to importing a non-microsoft codec package that after uninstalling caused me to "lose" my burner on windows DVD maker. reinstalling and disabling codecs in options on windows movie maker sometimes temporarily fixes the problem and I get my burner back and can burn a movie DVD but next time it is gone and this has only worked a couple of times, I don't know much about computers and basically am running around in the dark poking with a big stick.

your's is an interesting post, I too have a usb wireless internet conection, and one way to ensure for sure I lose my burner is indeed to plug it in and go online, I assumed it was making the internet connection that did it, but maybe you are on to something, I find my burner dissappears doing the above or using non windows media apps prior to using win DVD burner so there's obviously a conflict somewhere! the only way to get it back is not just restarting but waiting a day and then it often it shuts down to prevent data execution, I now use DVD video soft to burn DVD's instead, no fancy menus but it works with ALL codecs including 3gp off my phone and flv youtube downloads!

you are a legend mate! I have had my vista laptop for 13 months and even rebooted vista to solve this, thanks heaps I removed my dongle and drive e returned to my dvd burner in seconds! never knock a noob! as one myself I post stuff on forums and too have helped people too the knowit alls can't know everything, fresh eyes often find the answer! I am going to shout this from the cyberspace mountaintops in every forum I post to. thanks!

I am having the exact problem I can use Roxio fine but I cannot use windows dvd maker, it doesnt recognize a burner at all, I did all of the updates any other suggestions?

Finally fixed my problem, I had to download the vista service pack, it was that easy

each time I start up my laptop (after a yet to be determined time, not restart), I have my burner if I open windows DVD maker, and can burn a DVD video, however if I play a video or go online I lose it again so I save projects and burn them at a later date, not the most convenient but only solution other than using DVD videosoft free studio which whilst a barebones DVD authoring and burning prog, supports more file types and does many other things like converting videos into mobile phone formats.

hey i dont know if this will work for you but i had the same problem with a mates computer tried to roll back updates not an option so i went back and tried again and hey presto its there my dvd burner
    so i looked at what i had done previuos to this
    and all i did was remove his pre paid broadband key (usb stick) and came up with the conclusion that there was a conflict dont know how to fix that part but hey all i have to do to make windows dvd maker pick up the dvd burner is remove the usb stick this might not sound as technical as all the others on this forum but it works for me

chris 01 you are a legend -
    I picked the easiest option first and removed my broadband pre-paid USB key and hey presto the burner was back.

chris 01
    I agree, it works! you're a legend! thanks!