Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Vista Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-09-2007
Ignoramus
 
Posts: n/a
Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.

Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
this PC.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2007
Richard G. Harper
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Look for the "Users" folder instead - this is the new location of the
profile, All User and Default User folders.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uAEvc$o7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>
> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
> this PC.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2007
seth
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Microsoft changed the location of several of these common folders.
the documents and settings folder technically is still there, but is
configured as an ntfs junction (essentially a file system redirect)
the user profile settings are under C:\users

the template you are looking for should be under
C:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates\normal.dotm
your search probably revealed nothing if you searched for *.dot since office
2007 file extensions have changed also


"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uAEvc$o7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>
> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
> this PC.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2007
Chad Harris
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Hi Ignoramus--

In Vista "Documents and Settings" isn't really a folder. It's a "junction
point" - like a soft link, in Unix.

The *real* directory where user data is kept in Vista, is called "C:\Users".
If you use "Users" in place of "Documents and Settings" you should be sweet.
Eg, C:\Users\Ignoramus' Profile on Vista\Documents, etc.

The "Documents and Settings" junction point exists to preserve compatibility
for applications which have this path name hard-coded. Well-behaved
applications should not have a hard-coded "Documents and Settings" string;
they should call SHGetSpecialFolder() instead, to find the User directory on
a system. But just a sad fact of life, many apps out there do look for a
"Documents and Settings" directory ....

"Users" is preferable to "Documents and Settings" because many apps have
problems with path names containing spaces. It also soaks up more chars
from the limited 260 char MAX_PATH length for directory names. Finally,
"Users" is more intuitive for folks coming from Unix and other, more normal
operating system environments :-)

The "Documents and Settings" junction point is usually hidden and not
visible in Explorer. If you are seeing it in an obtrusive way, you may have
turned ON the folder option to see hidden files.

Refs on Junction Points in Vista:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/jo...on-Points.aspx

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Window...therDrive.aspx

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MoreOn...rsePoints.aspx

Good luck,

CH


"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uAEvc$o7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>
> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
> this PC.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2007
Ignoramus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

I did look in the Users Folder - both in Public as well as >myname< - but I
cannot find the usual 'Application Data' or Templates directory after that.

Any further clues?



"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
news:ekg8CGp7HHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Look for the "Users" folder instead - this is the new location of the
> profile, All User and Default User folders.


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2007
DP
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder


There's no "Documents" menu choice after you click start? In the right-hand
pane near the top?



"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uAEvc$o7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>
> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
> this PC.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2007
Dave
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

C:\Users\youraccount\AppData
it's hidden by default.


"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:O4SjoJp7HHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I did look in the Users Folder - both in Public as well as >myname< - but I
>cannot find the usual 'Application Data' or Templates directory after that.
>
> Any further clues?
>
>
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> news:ekg8CGp7HHA.5184@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Look for the "Users" folder instead - this is the new location of the
>> profile, All User and Default User folders.

>

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2007
Ignoramus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Chad & Seth,

Thanks for the detailed responses and for taking the time to explain
'junction points' - that was a new one for me!

My problem is that I cannot find a sub-directory called 'Appdata' in my
Users folder (even though my Win Explorer is set to show hidden files). I
need this to migrate my older Winword Autotext entries (from a Office XP
running on Win 2000 Pro) to my new Vista PC. This should be possible as per
MS (see
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true)
but I cannot start doing this if I cannot find AppData!

Thanks




"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
news:uLZgtGp7HHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi Ignoramus--
>
> In Vista "Documents and Settings" isn't really a folder. It's a "junction
> point" - like a soft link, in Unix.
>
> The *real* directory where user data is kept in Vista, is called
> "C:\Users".
> If you use "Users" in place of "Documents and Settings" you should be
> sweet.
> Eg, C:\Users\Ignoramus' Profile on Vista\Documents, etc.
>
> The "Documents and Settings" junction point exists to preserve
> compatibility
> for applications which have this path name hard-coded. Well-behaved
> applications should not have a hard-coded "Documents and Settings" string;
> they should call SHGetSpecialFolder() instead, to find the User directory
> on
> a system. But just a sad fact of life, many apps out there do look for a
> "Documents and Settings" directory ....
>
> "Users" is preferable to "Documents and Settings" because many apps have
> problems with path names containing spaces. It also soaks up more chars
> from the limited 260 char MAX_PATH length for directory names. Finally,
> "Users" is more intuitive for folks coming from Unix and other, more
> normal
> operating system environments :-)
>
> The "Documents and Settings" junction point is usually hidden and not
> visible in Explorer. If you are seeing it in an obtrusive way, you may
> have
> turned ON the folder option to see hidden files.
>
> Refs on Junction Points in Vista:
>
> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>
> http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/jo...on-Points.aspx
>
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Window...therDrive.aspx
>
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MoreOn...rsePoints.aspx
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
>
> "Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:uAEvc$o7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
>> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>>
>> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
>> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
>> this PC.
>>
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2007
John Barnes
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

It is now just called Documents and is in your User folder
Where are you looking for your dot

"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uAEvc$o7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>
> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
> this PC.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2007
Ignoramus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

Yes, there is - but it only contains a folder called 'My Google Gadgets'
which is some crapola that the PC manufacturer loaded to earn a few
Googlebucks. The documents folder you refer to seems to be only there for
documents that I create and not for system docs that were contained in the
'old' Documents and Settings folder in previous incarnations of Windows


"DP" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:uz4twMp7HHA.4436@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> There's no "Documents" menu choice after you click start? In the
> right-hand pane near the top?
>

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-09-2007
Richard G. Harper
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

%APPDATA% is what is called a metatag - it is not an actual directory name,
but rather a placeholder for the actual location of the Application Data
folder since it changes between Windows versions. So if you follow the
advice given a few replies ago you will find the new location of the
Application Data folder.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"Ignoramus" <laguna275@bloody.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Ou53MUp7HHA.1900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Chad & Seth,
>
> Thanks for the detailed responses and for taking the time to explain
> 'junction points' - that was a new one for me!
>
> My problem is that I cannot find a sub-directory called 'Appdata' in my
> Users folder (even though my Win Explorer is set to show hidden files). I
> need this to migrate my older Winword Autotext entries (from a Office XP
> running on Win 2000 Pro) to my new Vista PC. This should be possible as
> per MS (see
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true)
> but I cannot start doing this if I cannot find AppData!


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-11-2007
Kendall
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder

YEAH! I was having the same problem as you. After (literally) 1-1/2 hours
and tears since I work at home and needed templates before I could start, I
FINALLY found them.

<my name>/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Templates

I have no idea where they got "roaming!" Everytime I even tried to search
for Templates, it would say, "access denied." I had just about given
up--just as I was thinking Vista wasn't so bad.

Oh, well. I hope this helped.

"Ignoramus" wrote:

> Help! I cannot seem to find the 'Documents & Settings' folder in my new
> VISTA PC. I have tried searching for it, but to no avail.
>
> Where could it be hiding and for that matter why does a search for
> normal.dot OR normal*.dot reveal nothing? I do have Office 2007 loaded on
> this PC.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Location of 'Documents & Settings' folder"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I tried to set location of My Documents folder, but at present My Documents folder is missing Nuryn Operating Systems 4 26-04-2011 05:25 AM
After trying to set location of My Documents folder, currently My Documents folder is missing Rajani^kanta Operating Systems 3 17-01-2011 11:49 AM
"Documents and Settings" folder location in Windows 7 Agaev Operating Systems 12 31-08-2010 05:01 AM
Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista Mike Vista Help 6 26-01-2010 03:24 AM
Cannot change target folder location for My Documents LincolnIT Windows Server Help 8 13-10-2007 01:04 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:59 AM.