Thread: Failed to connect to a windows service

Snafubar Guest

Failed to connect to a windows service

Thisis what I get when I start Vista. I also can't connect to the internet.
    This is a list of error I have got when trying to start services.
    DNS Client error:10107 A system call that should never fail has failed.
    Netlogon error:10093 Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or
    WSAStartup failed.
    Network location awareness service: specific error code 1073741502
    Windows event log error:1747
    Com+System application error:1068 The dependency service or group failed to
    start.
    Internet connection service error:1068
    Also the DHCP service is in a constant state of starting. It never finishes.

This is driving me crazy. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and
    reinstalling the old ones. I did the sfc/scannow in the cmd as admin and
    nothing was found wrong.
    I made sure the permissions were right. This is just nuts. Any help is
    greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Arnold Guest

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

You have bigger problems, and what you have done to try to correct the
    problems doesn't look like it's going to correct them.

You may need to look into doing a system restore or booting off the O/S
    install dvd if you have one and doing a R-pair.

jodyvan Guest
    Did you happen to figure anything out? I am having similar problem. I
    installed a hotfix which has been removed but there are multiple
    services not starting like you. When I try to start them I get the same
    errors.

When I run the scannow it repaired some issues but was unable to fix a
    couple. This just happened randomly and not even right after the hotfix
    was installed. I'm not sure what caused this but it sure is crazy. Any
    insight would be appreciated.

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

Solution: 1
    Click on Start-Run>type "services.msc", the click on OK. When the Services window loads, navigate to the "System Event Notification Service">the double click on it to open it.. Make sure the "Startup Type" says "Automatic". If it doesn't, use the drop down menu to change it.

If it already says: "Automatic", then click on the "Recovery" tab at the top, and change the ""First Failure" line to "Restart the Service", then click on "apply", then OK, etc.
    Solution: 2
    Troubleshoot network adapter problems
    If you can't connect to a network, there might be a problem with your network adapter. Here are some common reasons for network adapter problems and related solutions.
    If you are having problems connecting to a Windows Meeting Space meeting, search Windows Help and Support for "Troubleshoot Windows Meeting Space."
    The network adapter is disabled.
    To enable the adapter:
    1. Click to open Network Connections.
    2. Right-click the network adapter icon, and then click Enable. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    The network adapter needs to be reset.
    To reset the adapter:
    2. Right-click the network adapter icon, and then click Disable. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Right-click the adapter icon again, and then click Enable. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    The adapter is now reset. Try connecting to the network again, or run Network Diagnostics to verify that your network adapter is now working correctly.
    Click to open Network Diagnostics.
    The network adapter driver is missing, isn't working, or is out of date.
    The network adapter needs to be replaced.
    If you've tried resetting the network adapter and updating the drivers, and Network Diagnostics indicates that there is still a problem with your network adapter, try replacing the adapter. Buy a new network adapter and install it in your computer by following the manufacturer's instructions, or have a service technician replace the adapter for you.
    Solution 3:
    Troubleshoot network connection problems
    Troubleshooting connection problems can be a challenge because there are so many possible causes. First, try these steps:
    • Click to open Network Diagnostics.
    • Make sure that all wires are connected (for example, make sure your modem is connected to a working phone jack or cable connection, either directly or through a router).
    • If you're trying to connect to another computer, make sure that computer is on and that you have enabled file and printer sharing on your network. For more information, see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows.
    • If your computer has a wireless network adapter, Windows will automatically detect wireless networks that are nearby. To see a list of wireless networks that Windows has detected, click the Start button , and then click Connect to. If Windows does not detect a network that you think is in range of your computer, open Help and Support and search for "Troubleshoot problems finding wireless networks."
    • If the problem began after you installed new software, check your connection settings to see if they have been changed.
    2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Check your router. Because of the new networking features in Windows Vista, some older network routers are not fully compatible with Windows Vista and can cause problems. You can test your router to see whether it is fully compatible with Windows Vista by running the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool. Or, for a list of routers that are compatible with Windows Vista, go to the Windows Logo'd Products List website.
    If these steps don't solve the problem, look for a specific problem in the following list.
    I can't connect to other computers on my home network, or I can't share files and printers with them.
    I can't connect to my home network.
    I get disconnected from my network periodically.
    The other computers on my network don’t appear on the Network Map.
    My network connection is too slow.
    I can't connect to my workplace network from home (or another location).
    When I try to connect with a VPN connection, I receive a message that says "The local computer does not support encryption" and has the error code 741.
    I can't find advanced information about network and Internet connections.
    I don’t know how to set up an incoming connection.
    I can't share the root of a drive.
    I keep receiving messages about a duplicate IP address on the network.