Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

  1. #1
    Martin Guest

    Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    (on a local network)

    Can anybody help me?

  2. #2
    P. Di Stolfo Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Hello,

    I think this is impossible for Home editions of Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929543/en-us

    Greetings,
    P. Di Stolfo
    --
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:5A1A8FA9-6845-41D1-88F3-162C33831893@microsoft.com...
    >I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    > (on a local network)
    >
    > Can anybody help me?



  3. #3
    Carey Frisch [MVP] Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Joining a domain with a computer running Windows Vista
    Home Premium is unsupported. You would need to
    upgrade to Vista Ultimate in order to join a domain.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Martin" wrote:

    I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    (on a local network)

    Can anybody help me?

  4. #4
    Synapse Syndrome Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5A1A8FA9-6845-41D1-88F3-162C33831893@microsoft.com...
    >I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    > (on a local network)
    >


    You need Business, Enterprise or Ultimate to connect to domains. The home
    editions have reduced networking functionality.

    ss.



  5. #5
    Meinolf Weber (Myweb) Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Hello Martin,

    You need Businnes or Ultimate Version.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber (Myweb)
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
    no rights.

    > I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a
    > domain (on a local network)
    >
    > Can anybody help me?
    >




  6. #6
    Martin Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    I was told about a patch to connect it. The same happened years ago with XP
    home edition.
    If you know or hear about it, please let me know.

    Regards
    Martin

    "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I think this is impossible for Home editions of Vista:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929543/en-us
    >
    > Greetings,
    > P. Di Stolfo
    > --
    > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
    > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:5A1A8FA9-6845-41D1-88F3-162C33831893@microsoft.com...
    > >I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    > > (on a local network)
    > >
    > > Can anybody help me?

    >


  7. #7
    Carey Frisch [MVP] Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    There is no "patch". Upgrading to Vista Ultimate is
    the only solution.

    Upgrade to another edition of Windows Vista
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...93bb81033.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Martin" wrote:

    I was told about a patch to connect it. The same happened years ago with XP
    home edition.
    If you know or hear about it, please let me know.

    Regards
    Martin

  8. #8
    Richard G. Harper Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    There is no "patch" to fix this, and there never was for Windows XP Home
    Edition either. There was a fix that allowed Windows Media Center Edition
    to join a domain but that worked only because Windows MCE is based on
    Windows XP Professional, which can join a domain.

    --
    Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
    * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


    "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5A1A8FA9-6845-41D1-88F3-162C33831893@microsoft.com...
    >I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    > (on a local network)
    >
    > Can anybody help me?



  9. #9
    indivmed2008 Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Carey--
    I'm a Microsoft Professional myself and have a question--I have Vista Home
    Premium Edition on a laptop (Gateway) and noticed that there are several
    files and directories related to 'enterprise domain systems'--configuration
    files like 'dcpromo', schema.ini, and manifest files related to group policy
    configuration. Furthermore, if I reinstall my OS, over time, I find that I
    begin seeing a "roaming" profile folder under users, cannot configure local
    security policies (they are greyed out), and that several folders, even with
    administrator privileges, cannot be accessed due to security errors--when I
    attempt to edit the security tab, even some of these are greyed out so that I
    cannot open them. I even have a sysprep folder under system32 which allows
    me to run it under OOBE or audit conditions--which seems odd because I would
    assume that OPK, Windows PE, sysprep would be left to the 'final' out of the
    box experience for the first time an end user starts his computer with the
    sysprep folder no longer being visible or being availalble for use. I ran
    the microsoft's rootkit revealer and it went crazy--are all of these
    "domain-related" files and "sysprep conditions" normal files available on the
    vista home premium edition, even if that OS can't be used to join a domain
    (much less becoming an NT server or a domain controller--I mean, dcpromo and
    adprep?!?)...any help would be much appreciated as this is bothering me and
    if there is a problem, I need to know so I can figure out how to fix it!!!!
    Rick


    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Joining a domain with a computer running Windows Vista
    > Home Premium is unsupported. You would need to
    > upgrade to Vista Ultimate in order to join a domain.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "Martin" wrote:
    >
    > I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a domain
    > (on a local network)
    >
    > Can anybody help me?
    >


  10. #10
    Rick Rogers Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Hi,

    Yes, that is normal. The default install of each version is basically the
    same in terms of user accounts and folder structure, it's just that the Home
    versions lack the support necessary to join a domain.

    As to the folders you cannot access, are you certain they are not simply the
    junction points? These points, such as the "My...." folders are actually not
    folders at all, but are simply there for backwards compatibility with older
    software that expects those folders to be there. They serve as redirects to
    the Vista versions of them. You cannot access the security tab, as there is
    no such thing on these points.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

    "indivmed2008" <indivmed2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:A6F58DED-CBC0-4E13-B58B-27C32397DAD1@microsoft.com...
    > Carey--
    > I'm a Microsoft Professional myself and have a question--I have Vista Home
    > Premium Edition on a laptop (Gateway) and noticed that there are several
    > files and directories related to 'enterprise domain
    > systems'--configuration
    > files like 'dcpromo', schema.ini, and manifest files related to group
    > policy
    > configuration. Furthermore, if I reinstall my OS, over time, I find that
    > I
    > begin seeing a "roaming" profile folder under users, cannot configure
    > local
    > security policies (they are greyed out), and that several folders, even
    > with
    > administrator privileges, cannot be accessed due to security errors--when
    > I
    > attempt to edit the security tab, even some of these are greyed out so
    > that I
    > cannot open them. I even have a sysprep folder under system32 which
    > allows
    > me to run it under OOBE or audit conditions--which seems odd because I
    > would
    > assume that OPK, Windows PE, sysprep would be left to the 'final' out of
    > the
    > box experience for the first time an end user starts his computer with the
    > sysprep folder no longer being visible or being availalble for use. I ran
    > the microsoft's rootkit revealer and it went crazy--are all of these
    > "domain-related" files and "sysprep conditions" normal files available on
    > the
    > vista home premium edition, even if that OS can't be used to join a domain
    > (much less becoming an NT server or a domain controller--I mean, dcpromo
    > and
    > adprep?!?)...any help would be much appreciated as this is bothering me
    > and
    > if there is a problem, I need to know so I can figure out how to fix
    > it!!!!
    > Rick
    >
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Joining a domain with a computer running Windows Vista
    >> Home Premium is unsupported. You would need to
    >> upgrade to Vista Ultimate in order to join a domain.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> "Martin" wrote:
    >>
    >> I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a
    >> domain
    >> (on a local network)
    >>
    >> Can anybody help me?
    >>



  11. #11
    indivmed2008 Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Hi--

    Thank you so much for the response--I actually came across an article on
    'junction points' in vista after I posted which clearly delineated how
    userenv.dll creates them once sysprep finalizes (OOBE phase). I'm sure
    Microsoft has good reason for the change, but for us network admins, this
    will be a lot to keep straight--I can only imagine the extent to which LH
    Server will offer us even more surprises since Server 03. I made the mistake
    thinking that the Vista OS would be an improvement to XP, and was not
    expecting junction points, hard links, soft links, etc.!

    Thanks again...


    "Rick Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes, that is normal. The default install of each version is basically the
    > same in terms of user accounts and folder structure, it's just that the Home
    > versions lack the support necessary to join a domain.
    >
    > As to the folders you cannot access, are you certain they are not simply the
    > junction points? These points, such as the "My...." folders are actually not
    > folders at all, but are simply there for backwards compatibility with older
    > software that expects those folders to be there. They serve as redirects to
    > the Vista versions of them. You cannot access the security tab, as there is
    > no such thing on these points.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
    >
    > "indivmed2008" <indivmed2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:A6F58DED-CBC0-4E13-B58B-27C32397DAD1@microsoft.com...
    > > Carey--
    > > I'm a Microsoft Professional myself and have a question--I have Vista Home
    > > Premium Edition on a laptop (Gateway) and noticed that there are several
    > > files and directories related to 'enterprise domain
    > > systems'--configuration
    > > files like 'dcpromo', schema.ini, and manifest files related to group
    > > policy
    > > configuration. Furthermore, if I reinstall my OS, over time, I find that
    > > I
    > > begin seeing a "roaming" profile folder under users, cannot configure
    > > local
    > > security policies (they are greyed out), and that several folders, even
    > > with
    > > administrator privileges, cannot be accessed due to security errors--when
    > > I
    > > attempt to edit the security tab, even some of these are greyed out so
    > > that I
    > > cannot open them. I even have a sysprep folder under system32 which
    > > allows
    > > me to run it under OOBE or audit conditions--which seems odd because I
    > > would
    > > assume that OPK, Windows PE, sysprep would be left to the 'final' out of
    > > the
    > > box experience for the first time an end user starts his computer with the
    > > sysprep folder no longer being visible or being availalble for use. I ran
    > > the microsoft's rootkit revealer and it went crazy--are all of these
    > > "domain-related" files and "sysprep conditions" normal files available on
    > > the
    > > vista home premium edition, even if that OS can't be used to join a domain
    > > (much less becoming an NT server or a domain controller--I mean, dcpromo
    > > and
    > > adprep?!?)...any help would be much appreciated as this is bothering me
    > > and
    > > if there is a problem, I need to know so I can figure out how to fix
    > > it!!!!
    > > Rick
    > >
    > >
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Joining a domain with a computer running Windows Vista
    > >> Home Premium is unsupported. You would need to
    > >> upgrade to Vista Ultimate in order to join a domain.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Carey Frisch
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >>
    > >> "Martin" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a
    > >> domain
    > >> (on a local network)
    > >>
    > >> Can anybody help me?
    > >>

    >
    >


  12. #12
    Rick Rogers Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    Hi,

    Really, it is an improvement, particularly in the area of securty. Funny
    though, the very things that you indicate as additional "headaches" are
    those that are there for the backwards compatibility that so many insist on.
    If it weren't for that, much of the junction points and links would not be
    necessary at all.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

    "indivmed2008" <indivmed2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:9464D622-60A3-4442-B9DB-8A5A5348ACD0@microsoft.com...
    > Hi--
    >
    > Thank you so much for the response--I actually came across an article on
    > 'junction points' in vista after I posted which clearly delineated how
    > userenv.dll creates them once sysprep finalizes (OOBE phase). I'm sure
    > Microsoft has good reason for the change, but for us network admins, this
    > will be a lot to keep straight--I can only imagine the extent to which LH
    > Server will offer us even more surprises since Server 03. I made the
    > mistake
    > thinking that the Vista OS would be an improvement to XP, and was not
    > expecting junction points, hard links, soft links, etc.!
    >
    > Thanks again...
    >
    >
    > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Yes, that is normal. The default install of each version is basically the
    >> same in terms of user accounts and folder structure, it's just that the
    >> Home
    >> versions lack the support necessary to join a domain.
    >>
    >> As to the folders you cannot access, are you certain they are not simply
    >> the
    >> junction points? These points, such as the "My...." folders are actually
    >> not
    >> folders at all, but are simply there for backwards compatibility with
    >> older
    >> software that expects those folders to be there. They serve as redirects
    >> to
    >> the Vista versions of them. You cannot access the security tab, as there
    >> is
    >> no such thing on these points.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
    >>
    >> "indivmed2008" <indivmed2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:A6F58DED-CBC0-4E13-B58B-27C32397DAD1@microsoft.com...
    >> > Carey--
    >> > I'm a Microsoft Professional myself and have a question--I have Vista
    >> > Home
    >> > Premium Edition on a laptop (Gateway) and noticed that there are
    >> > several
    >> > files and directories related to 'enterprise domain
    >> > systems'--configuration
    >> > files like 'dcpromo', schema.ini, and manifest files related to group
    >> > policy
    >> > configuration. Furthermore, if I reinstall my OS, over time, I find
    >> > that
    >> > I
    >> > begin seeing a "roaming" profile folder under users, cannot configure
    >> > local
    >> > security policies (they are greyed out), and that several folders, even
    >> > with
    >> > administrator privileges, cannot be accessed due to security
    >> > errors--when
    >> > I
    >> > attempt to edit the security tab, even some of these are greyed out so
    >> > that I
    >> > cannot open them. I even have a sysprep folder under system32 which
    >> > allows
    >> > me to run it under OOBE or audit conditions--which seems odd because I
    >> > would
    >> > assume that OPK, Windows PE, sysprep would be left to the 'final' out
    >> > of
    >> > the
    >> > box experience for the first time an end user starts his computer with
    >> > the
    >> > sysprep folder no longer being visible or being availalble for use. I
    >> > ran
    >> > the microsoft's rootkit revealer and it went crazy--are all of these
    >> > "domain-related" files and "sysprep conditions" normal files available
    >> > on
    >> > the
    >> > vista home premium edition, even if that OS can't be used to join a
    >> > domain
    >> > (much less becoming an NT server or a domain controller--I mean,
    >> > dcpromo
    >> > and
    >> > adprep?!?)...any help would be much appreciated as this is bothering me
    >> > and
    >> > if there is a problem, I need to know so I can figure out how to fix
    >> > it!!!!
    >> > Rick
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Joining a domain with a computer running Windows Vista
    >> >> Home Premium is unsupported. You would need to
    >> >> upgrade to Vista Ultimate in order to join a domain.
    >> >>
    >> >> --
    >> >> Carey Frisch
    >> >> Microsoft MVP
    >> >> Windows Shell/User
    >> >>
    >> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> >>
    >> >> "Martin" wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> I am not able to connect a new notebook with vista home edition to a
    >> >> domain
    >> >> (on a local network)
    >> >>
    >> >> Can anybody help me?
    >> >>

    >>
    >>



  13. #13
    Chris Game Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:00:03 -0500, Rick Rogers wrote:

    > Really, it is an improvement, particularly in the area of securty.
    > Funny though, the very things that you indicate as additional
    > "headaches" are those that are there for the backwards
    > compatibility that so many insist on. If it weren't for that,
    > much of the junction points and links would not be necessary at
    > all.


    Surely the main issue is that older program installers expect to
    find these folders, and to be able to write to them.

    --
    Chris Game

    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it,
    and I don't know why I'll do it again." -- Bart Simpson

  14. #14
    Chris Game Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:15:00 -0800, indivmed2008 wrote:

    > Thank you so much for the response--I actually came across an
    > article on 'junction points' in vista after I posted which
    > clearly delineated how userenv.dll creates them once sysprep
    > finalizes (OOBE phase).


    Can you reference this please?

    --
    Chris Game

    A core dump is your computer's way of saying "Here's what's on my
    mind, what's on yours?"

  15. #15
    Chris Game Guest

    Re: Connect vista Home Edition to a Domain

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:57:34 -0500, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > Joining a domain with a computer running Windows Vista Home
    > Premium is unsupported. You would need to upgrade to Vista
    > Ultimate in order to join a domain.


    He's not bothered about support, just wants to know how to do it!

    --
    Chris Game

    "...it is important to realize that any lock can be picked with
    a big enough hammer." -- Sun System & Network Admin manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to join Windows XP Home Edition to a domain
    By Lord in forum Networking & Security
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 11:54 PM
  2. Connecting Vista Home Edition to 2003 Domain Controller Server
    By MikeY007 in forum Windows Vista Network
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 03:48 AM
  3. Downgrade Vista Home Premium to XP Home Edition
    By adrin in forum Vista Setup and Install
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
  4. Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain
    By Perkins in forum Windows Vista Network
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •