Thread: Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

It looks like a virus to me. I have certain number of video files stored in my hard drive. I want to get rid of them, but when I delete it, I receive a error that cannot delete the file access denied. I have around 4 accounts in the system. I am a bit confused to find which one is limited. So I checked in Control Panel > User Account. In that I can see my account is Admin. So I have the full rights to delete files. But why I am not able to do the same. I had downloaded this video through a software on my system. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. I tried to check the File Properties where ample of time it is marked as Read Only or locked. But those things were not available. What should I do to delete the files. I hope this issue only lies with the video files that I have, now with others. Thanks.

Re: Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Yes that can be a virus issue. But as you said that you had downloaded this files through a third party software. Did you exist that application completely. Try to do the same in Safe Mode once. It will help you. To access Safe-Mode restart your pc and hit F8 continuously from your keyboard. In Safe Mode there are minimum software's running. Now right click and delete the file. If this does not work then you can do that through cmd also. For that right click on CMD > Run as > Administrator. Provide your login access if asked for. You have to take file ownership first. For that type the command takeown /f path.of.file.with.name. Ex takeown /f C:\Downloads\video.avi. Now hit enter. Now the second command will give the admin full right for deleting the file. The command for that is icacls path.of.file.with.name /grant administrator:F. Hit enter. Now go and try to delete the file.

Sometime this files do not delete easily as some media player in the background is using it. I was stucked with a video file that I want to delete. I use a burner to create the video disc. But the file was located in the software and keep on giving me popup that there is pending file to burn. Whenever I try to delete the file it does not work. But it was deleted in safe mode. If you are facing this issue with other files also them remember that this is a virus issue. Your file permission is modified because of which you are not able to delete it completely. Run a full system antivirus scan and check the file permissions.

I had stucked with a 4GB file for the same issue. When I press delete I get the same popup error on the screen that you do not have permission to delete this file. My task manager was also not working. It was a clear virus issue. I had run check disk option for some help. The command for the same is chkdsk g: /f. This will modify the file permission and set the settings to default. This had helped me a lot. After running the same I was able to delete the file.

There are number of methods available by which you can take the File Ownership. I think your system is on risk and this will keep on spreading to other files also. Ensure that you are logged in as Administrator. You cannot delete files if you are not in Admin account. As to other users the permission is limited. First thing when you are logged in Safe Mode with Admin account you can make any changes in the computer. This is one of the faster way to get file ownership with making any changes in system. Or else there are other ways too. To get the file ownership right click on the File and then click on Properties. Now go Security tab and then click on Advance. Give OK if any message appears. There is a Owner tab click on that and the click on Administrator. Now the Administrator has right to delete the file. In the same way you can click on Add to assign the same permission to other user accounts.

If you are using Windows Vista then you can get that just by right clicking on the file. That works quiet well. There is on need to go in Properties and make changes in the Security Tab. For that just right click on the File and click on Take Ownership. That's all. It will allow you to delete the file. If you are not able to use this option then there is one more thing you can try. Download Unlocker from web. This is a small easy to utility which help you to take file permission of locked file. After installation the Unlock option appear in the right click. You just need to right click and then click on Unlock. That's all it is done.

To some extent if command prompt does not work then there are possibility that the file is set on Read-Only settings. Read-Only does not allow the users to make any changes to the file. Somehow this is one of the easiest thing you can do. If this does not work then get a good antivirus for your system. Scan your computer and ensure that it works fine. There is another complicated for deleting that file. But for that you will have to use LiveCD and then removing it.

I am wondering if there is a better tool that can modify the file permission. I had tried a number of way in my old system which has tons of virus. I do not know how it is actually surviving but a good system for testing. I had tried to take the file owners ship through number of commands but that does not worked well.

EmanuelJars Guest

First go to folder option then view and now uncheck file sharing wizard.Now right click on your file go to properties,now security.Edit all user and check all allow option.Now apply and Ok.Now try to delete it and see.Or simply use LONG PATH Tool.It fixes this kind of problems.Thanks.