Thread: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

I installed a fresh Windows Vista installation on my desktop last month. SO far i never had any problem, it is working well. But since last three days i am trying to PC backup which every time gets failed with the following error message:

"The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)"

Actually backup starts properly after just after few minutes it ends up with that error message. Now idea what could be causing this. Any help will be appreciated

Re: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

Have you tried Error Checking the drive? Right click a drive icon in Windows Explorer, Properties, tools tab. (needs a restart)

Hello tynana. I had this problem with my Vista Home Premium as well. After trying several things finally second attempt to Repair Install Vista from the (Medion) Recovery Disc worked fine. Since then i never had any problem with backup on this system so far. So i think you should give it a try.

Let me tell you that while repairing the same i deleted the newer nVidia graphics drivers from from the FileRepository in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore which has crashed my system several times.

Had same problem. Found this on Microsoft site and it worked for me.

File Backup

The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

This problem is due to one or more profiles under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList with missing ProfileImagePath.

To check whether you have missing profiles:

1. Open regedit, navigate to the above registry key. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList). Expand the list

2. Click on each of the profiles listed. The first 3 profiles should have ProfileImagePath value of

%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\SystemProfile,

%SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService, and

%SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService

respectively.

3. Starting from the 4th profile, the ProfileImagePath should contain path to the user profiles on your machine, such as C:\users\Christine

4. If one or more of the profile has no profile image, then you have missing profiles.

To work around this, delete the profile in question (Caution: The registry contains critical settings that are necessary for your system to function properly. Take extra caution while making changes)

1. First, export the ProfileList key for safekeeping. (Right click on the key, choose “Export”, and save it to the desktop.)

2. Right click on the profile in question, choose delete.

3. Try backup again.

Are you are going to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    in regedit.
    As you say you are going to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

When you click on each one it will show you the code the ProfileImagePath one the first three are as listed or very similar. The forth one onwards should show a clear user name (that you have set up) on the ProfileImagePath line. When you find the one without a user name or the ProfileImagePath line missing. This is the entry you need to delete.

No don’t delete this. It is correct.
    Each user account has its own separate entry within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
    And you only need to pay attention to the line within each profile named ProfileImagePath
    So if the missing profile ID information is not in the forth entry check the fifth, sixth etc. until you find it.
    I am assuming of course you have more than one user id set up. If not or all of them have the id name you set up, then it looks like your problem is caused by something else and a search on Microsoft technical support may find a different solution than the one I posted.

Im haveing the same error while I try to backup my file & I found I dont have this 3 files in the ProfileList of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

How i should proceed to create it or what I should do?

I checked in regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    and as you said I found in the forth a ProfileImagePath with my name but not any other without a user name. Only took my atention that in all the Profiles the first line said:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Should I try to delete this entry in all the Profiles or is normal to find it?

Thanks again, but unfortunately seems like the problem is caused by something else, since I have only one user account. Before install Windows 7 I used to have 2 more, but I dont find any missing profile ID information.
    I was hopeful that may this could be the solution because I have tried must of the post on Microsoft technical support. Also I bougth and ran the software RegisterBooster that was useless too.
    Thanks again and I will continue searching.

Hi Miguel,

Try this link its on Microsoft support it is for windows 7 error code 0x80070002 for backup problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281/en-us

If you are looking for a solution to a problem on Microsoft site make sure you go to www.support.microsoft.com. As I have found in the past that you get different and more helpful results than searching in www.microsoft.com.

PeterC

I'm running Vista SP2 and just now had the same exact problem. In the past when I was unable to backup using the Windows program, a simple reboot would cure it, not this time. I Googled the error message and found myself here.

In my situation when I did a regedit, the first profile was the culprit. When I clicked on the profile in the left pane, the right pane displayed a 'default' I believe with the Value of: .DEFAULT

I exported that and immediately attempted a backup which this time started and seems to be going fine. (I'm still running the backup.)

I have no idea what caused this but am grateful to Google and to those who share their experiences.

Thanks!
    Last edited by davehorne; 21-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.

So what if the profile image paths are correct and from time to time the backup fails? Today when I set the system to complete the backup it works but all backups that are setup to be completed automatically -- it stops and uses this error code.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartmain View Post
    So what if the profile image paths are correct and from time to time the backup fails? Today when I set the system to complete the backup it works but all backups that are setup to be completed automatically -- it stops and uses this error code.
    This kind of problem occurs when the Windows Vista restore wizard cannot access the backup files because of denied access or because of missing or corrupted files. So to resolve this issue, follow the steps at this website and see if that solves the issue or not, that is given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951002/en-us