Thread: Cannot find Local Security Policy in Vista Home Premium

Cannot find Local Security Policy in Vista Home Premium

I am not able to locate Local Security Policy in Windows Vista. I had checked inside Administrative tool but nothing is listed there. I had tried to find solution on web, but ample of solution are based on finding that inside Administrative tools only. Is there other way to get that. Or my edition of Vista does not has that thing installed. I have some setup Logon as a Batch Job which I cannot do without that. Thanks.

You can do that with the help of registry editor. I had seen this issue with number of Vista users where they are not able to locate Local Security Policy. The below steps will help you to assign Log on as a batch job. For that first you need to make some changes in Windows registry editor. Type regedit in Windows Run box. Then go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]. Here you will find a key PromptOnSecureDesktop. Set the value of this key to 0 and restart your pc one. Now for the Log on work in Start Menu Search box type secpol.msc. You will find the management console. Now here you have to find Users Right Assignment which is located under Local Policies. Just right click on that and then choose Log on as batch job. After that open Properties. Here you can add Users who you want to assign. You can also use groups. You have to add users from object types.

re: Cannot find Local Security Policy in Vista Home Premium

There is a small tool that can help you to perform this thing. For that you have to download ntrights.exe. It is a simple command line tool which comes in Windows Server Resource kit. You can download that if you want depending the version you are have. Just run the tool as administrator and do want you want. This needs less modifications.

I tried both the things but nothing worked for me. First I made that changes to registry editor. I had did everything one by one but nothing worked out much. I had set PromptOnSecureDesktop key value to 0 on registry editor. But after that whatever I did not working worked out. Second I also downloaded NTrights.exe. In that where I can find settings for Log on as a Batch Job. Please reply.

NTrights is a command line utility. It does not has any gui based interface so you need to locate the commands to set logon as batch. For that the the command sample is ntrights -u LOCAL\username +r SeBatchLogonRight. It only works if you are logged in as administrator. On limited account there will be errors. There is a elaborated guide below that can help you to find each and every steps on using NTrights. This is quiet nice options you can go for.

How to Set Logon User Rights with the Ntrights.exe Utility

Another thing that I am trying to do here is modify the lan manager authentication level security. I want to map a network drive on file server. Any help on that will be appreciated.

re: Cannot find Local Security Policy in Vista Home Premium

You can do that by gpedit.msc. This will launch group policy editor which is quiet a nice option to make cahnges in the policy settings. For that you have to locate Log on as batch jop settings. It is mostly located under User Rights Assignment which under Local Policies. And to reach Local Policies click on Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings. If you are still confused I will recommend you to read the a number of articles based on using Gpedit.msc. There are ample of guide and tutorials available on web.

I believe I hit on a solution to the LSP issues for Vista Home Premium Users. Using MS's Security Policy Settings spreadsheet for Vista, I was able to determine which Registry Key corresponded to the Local Security Policy setting I needed to change. I then looked up that key using REGEDIT, reset it manually and it worked like a charm.

In my case I was looking to reset the LAN Manager authentication level in order to enable username/password for shared folder access between WinXP, Vista and Win7 machines. I set up a WinXPPro (SP3 w/ all .net updates installed) with 2 4TB spanned drives for video file sharing in my home network. But my Vista Home Premium 64 (SP1) and other three Win7 Pro (SP1) machines kept popping up asking for a username/password before they would open the XP machine from the network, or whenever I attempted to mad a drive. I activated the guest account and added a password, but it kept coming back bad password.

Surfing this AM, I saw suggestion to set the LAN Manager authentication level to "Send LM and NTLM Responses" to enable post-XP to network w/ XP. That fixed the Win7Pro machines instantly, but since Vista Home Premium doesn't have a Local Security Policy function in Admin Tools or the Control Panel, I was stuck till I found the MS listing for the Registry keys that match the LSP functions.

The only challenge left was figuring out what numerical value corresponded to the setting I wanted (there are 6 possible settings shown for LAN Manager authentication level in Win7 Pro's LSP). The MS spreadsheet doesn't detail the options for each setting. So I looked up the value for the corresponding key in my Win7 machine's registry (0) and reset my Vista key to match. Presto! All my machines can use the guest account to hit all my networked drives again.

Sorry, I pasted in the wrong link for the MS Security Policy Settings document in my previous post. It should have linked to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=25250