Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupted DVD driver

Corrupted DVD driver

My DVD driver on my Aser Vista laptop has got corrupted so I can't see my DVD drive. I've tried going in to Safe mode then uninstalling the driver and then allowing Vista to load the driver up on reboot. But it's still corrupted. I can't find the right drivers- it's an HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N ATA device. Not sure of the manufacturer but may be Hitachi.

Also I've tried System Restore and that just states that it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Re: Corrupted DVD driver

First of all just try out this. Click Start and type 'System' in the search field. Click the 'System Information' link. Now click on the + in front of Components, and navigate to your CD-ROM or DVD Rom, select it and on the right pane make sure it is the right device if you have optical devices. If all ok, check at the bottom. You will the details of its name and location of it's driver.

Now go to the folder the driver Vista said the driver is located in, right click on the file, properties, rename... simply put a X in front of the name. By doing so you tell your system not to search for old corrupted version at boot. Once done, restart the system, wait for few minutes to let windows find the new driver and install its driver automatically. Possibly it may ask for Vista installation disk.

RE: Corrupted DVD driver

Ring Acer, as it is under warranty. With Acer, you won't have the CD to install just the DVD driver. It will be a complete reinstall, not a partial install.

One of the quirks of Acer computers.

Try this below. Check you Upper and Lower filters. Applies to Vista also http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3B320553

Also you should try updating firmware as well as Drivers for your LG DVD drive.

Removing the value in the Upper and Lower filter worked.

It was a Freecom driver that removed the DVD access.

Thanks for people's help.

Hello mick. Even i am facing the same problem. Did that solution worked for you? Can you please tell me how to change the value in the upper and lower filter?

Thanks.

ERWAN, you dont actually need to delete them. You just need to delete them so that when you reboot your system for the next time, windows will recreate them automatically.

You find them under the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Hi,
    I had the same problem, tried the upper and lower filter... it helped, but unfortunately I deleted the filters, not only the values... did I something wrong? does it matter? should I correct something? The DVD driver works now...

Thanks in advance

Wallace and Peter for posting the problem and the fix. Peter the link no longer works but I was able to search and find this. Now my DVD works again. I had up graded to vista on my Acer 5100 and was suprised when it no longer worked

RESOLUTION
    Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
    3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

For information about how to contact computer software vendors, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, Q-Z

Can't open properties like above, but same problem

When I open the path in regedit and want to open: properties to change filters, then I get a error:

Can't open properties.
    Can't open this key because of a error.
    Details: Access denied.

The problem is that there's a error in the opperatingsystem, so they are still in the list of hardware, but all the program's can't find them.

I hope somebody can help me out here.

Sorry for my bad english :)

I just purchased a Toshiba Laptop, running Vista Premium, and after a massive Windows update download, the DVD-CD drive didn't work. Error message 39, corrupt or missing driver. The driver isn't missing, so it must be corrupt. Have followed the above instructions regarding upper and lower filters, except haen't actioned the removal yet, as there doesn't appear to be an upper filter listed... only the lower filter. Also, the information states "you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs." which is a problem, as everything was already loaded and no software came with the laptop. I'm a little chicken to go ahead and remove the lower filter registry entry, seeing as there's no upper entry to delete. What do you think I should do???
    Thanks in advance folks, Anniebird

The next thing I guess is; how do I get my hands on a copy of the software to reinstall the dvd player so it will record... not just play, but the notebook didn't have any cd's with purchase.

This really is a bit much. I purchased this model (Toshiba Satellite L300, model PSLBOA-08H022) because I want to save large graphic files to DVD discs. Buying a new notebook, I thought I'd be free of problems, but after reading all the google stuff on Toshiba Satellites and Vista, I feel I probably should have researched further before buying! Makes me scared to download anymore Vista updates!

I appreciate the input from all of you. Where would us novices be without you.

Hey guys, here is the step by step process to fix Error Code 39. Just go through below provided steps:

1. Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    2. Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

1. UpperFilters
    2. LowerFilters
    3. UpperFilters.bak
    4. LowerFilters.bak

4. If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    5. After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor and restart the system.
    6. Now open My Computer and see if your CD or DVD drives are visible.

Also right click My computer > Manage > Device Manager. See if there is any yellow exclamation and error code Or they have gone.

Read the following from the Microsoft KB on this error 39 and follow the instructions to the letter.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314060

what if yo don't have any upper or lower in your Class?

It might the the drive, not Windows. Anyway, does Samsung have the drivers
    on their website?

My DVD driver on my Samsung Vista laptop has got corrupted so I can't see my DVD drive. I've tried going in to Safe mode then uninstalling the driver and
    then allowing Vista to load the driver up on reboot. But it's still
    corrupted. I can't find the right drivers. Please help me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast