Thread: iTunes stopped working on Vista

iTunes stopped working on Vista

I am having a major problem with my iTunes program. Until about a week ago iTunes was working fine on my Vista Home Premium. One morning this week I got up and tried to turn it on and suddenly a box would pop up after about 10-20 secs of loading and say "iTunes has stopped Working" Then another box would pop up saying that when a solution becomes available, it will notify me or something to that effect. Since then I have tried everything I possible could think of like reinstalling itunes and changing my msconfig settings. I have been on countless forums as well looking for someone who has my exact same problem and the solutions presented their are not working for my situation. If anyone could help me get iTunes back working on my system, that would be great.

Have you contacted Apple support?

I was facing the exact same problem for around 2 weeks and just today I figured out the reason. It was because I had installed the KLite Mega Codec Pack, it was clashing with iTunes (because Klite also has a QuickTime Alternative).

Steps to follow:
    1. Uninstall iTunes.
    2. Uninstall Klite Mega Codec Pack.
    3. Install iTunes.
    4. Goto Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Uninstall QuickTime
    5. Reinstall KLite Mega Codec Pack or Quicktime Alternative.

Note: iTunes 7 will require Quicktime Alternative 1.81

If your iTunes has stopped working due to a clash with QuickTime Alternative (or KLite Mega Codec Pack) this should solve the problem. It worked for me!

Aditya Samant Guest
    You know, I figured out last night what it was. I started thinking that maybe my library files were corrupted. I opened up my Itunes Music folder and deleted those data files and wahlaa! iTunes opened up like a charm. I had to reimport my music, but that wasn't to bad, took about 2-5 mins with everything including my podcasts. If anyone else has this problem, I would suggest navigating to your itunes folder and cutting out ipod games library, itunes library & itunes music library and pasting them in another folder and see if that fixes your problem.

iTunes Radio function is free.

Sal Tye Guest
    Hey, I'm having the same problem as you, I even tried a clean install of vista with no luck. Have you found a solution yet? If not what hardware are you running? I've got a E1505 with Intel T5600, 1.5 Gb RAM, and an ATI X1300 graphics card. I'm suspicious of that graphics card somehow being the problem.

before a few days my ipod and the related itunes were working properly. then
    suddenly everytime i connected the ipod itunes got frozen. i tried to
    reinstall itunes and now its shows that itunes stopped working for unknown
    reasons.
    how can i sort this out?

I know this may be a stupid try at a fix. I uninstalled/reinstalled. Itunes still didnt work. But, then I opened Quicktime, apparntly quicktime didnt fully install until it is opened. So open quicktime, make sure it works, then try itunes

I got a new nano today and get the message Itunes Has Stopped Working. However it works fine with my old Nano. I've tried reinstalling Itunes and Quicktime, changing the MSConfig file. Any other thoughts?

hi i have problems with installing itunes ...in windows vista, my
    edition is windows vista Home premium , 2006. 32 bit operating system,
    intel core 2 duo, when ever i am tryin to install itunes its shwing " an
    error occured during the installation of assembly 'microsoft.VC80.CRT,
    publickeytoken=1fc8b8b39ale18e3b",type="win 32", version =
    "8.0.50727.762", processorarchitecture="x86". please refer to help and
    supprt for more information.HRESLUT:0x8007054F. please help me regarding
    this problem.

I've tried every single solution given on here none of them worked. is there anything else that could be wrong?

I am having the same problems. "iTunes has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I have a brand new Toshiba with Intel Core 2 Duo with Vista 64 bit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and still have the same problem. I even reinstall an earlier version of iTunes and still recevie the same message. iTunes support has been no help! If anyone fdinds a solution, please let us know. This is so frustrating!

Hi! This happens to me too, but only when i click on a song in the iTunes store to purchase it.
    So basically i can't purchase a song...!
    Any one know?

I think I figured out what is wrong. My movie files, for some reason, are set to open in real player. So I moved my movie file so that when itunes opens, it will not access it. And now itunes opens with no problems. Make sure your movies are set to open in quicktime.

For some reason itunes works fine now that I have changed my movies to open in itunes. But when I turn Genius on, I get the same error. I never use Genius, so I am just keeping it off. So far no problems. I hope this help anyone having the same problems I had.

original problem was that as soon as my itouch was connected to the pc then itunes would start but then would close with a message " itunes has stopped working" os is vista 32

called apple support...told me to reset the itouch by holding down the button on the front of the itouch and at the sametime connect to the usb port on the pc.
    a small graphic of the usb cable connection came up on the itouch. Itunes started and the itunes screen gave me the option to reset to factory default . WARNING.. THIS DELETES ALL YOUR MUSIC FROM THE IPOD and will have to download again fron your itunes library.

the original fault lie with the firmware in nthe itouch getting scrambled

By chance I've noticed that the problem is in the user account settings

if you create a new user account iTunes will work like a dream
    again

I've not delved into the user settings that are pissing tunes
    off but Playing wig trial and error unles some1 beats me to it and I hope
    they do cos this whole scenario has caused me and my iPhone
    with it's coma mode absolute hell: god bless and curse apple
    at the same time. Gorgeous when it works, no support in the uk
    unfortunatley. And thank god for people who aren't afraid to
    experiment and risk f**kin* up their pcs in a good cause
    i.e. Me cos iv tried things you wouldn't believE

I had the same problem and after trying everything (registry scan, windows update, itunes reinstall, quicktime reinstall, new user account, opening in safe mode with nothing but itunes and quicktime running) I looked on event viewer and simply deleted the Faulty dll. Worked like a charm although i had to restore the Ipod once itunes opened again.

FYI Event was as follows so i deleted C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\CoreFP\CoreFP.dll

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 23/01/2010 18:25:39
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Description:
    Faulting application name: iTunes.exe, version: 9.0.2.25, time stamp: 0x4afca401
    Faulting module name: CoreFP.dll, version: 1.5.23.0, time stamp: 0x4accf83e
    Exception code: 0xc000000d
    Fault offset: 0x010a6531
    Faulting process id: 0x16d0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca9c5971376a80
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\CoreFP\CoreFP.dll
    Report Id: b454b070-084c-11df-af22-001a92442d3d

Re: iTunes stopped working on Vista

Is anyone still having problems with iTunes and Win7? Every time I try to download a song iTunes crashes. Apple has been worthless in helping me with this. I have done all the suggested fixes and nada.

Hello

I have the same problem, but so far the solutions offered above have not helped.
    I uninstalled Quicktime and iTunes. But when I go to re-install iTunes, it tells me I cannot because Quicktime hasn't been installed properly. I installed Quicktime. The tried iTunes again, same message appeared. The message that pops up is an "error 7"

I refuse to PAY Apple to help me with a product I purchased from them!

Anyone have suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Marybeth

Are you sure that your itunes application is compatible with the Windows Vista. Because at times, there are compatibility issues of Windows Vista with some applications. Have you tried to check it on other operating system (specially, Windows XP).? Also if you are still having the problems, then I would suggest you to have a look over here. You will find the proper steps to troubleshoot your problems of iTunes.

It worked before without any problems. It was fine one day, the next iTunes wouldn't open...
    Thanks, I'll give your suggestion(s) a try.

When I tried to un-install iTunes (under my computer programs) it said that another application has not finished being installed. please complete that before continuing... ??? I tried to reinstall but lost power (in a storm) so the iTunes never completed installation. Now I cannot install or un-install.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by sharpeegirl; 15-09-2010 at 07:47 PM.

First I will recommend you to boot in safe mode and then remove the old program installed. That can be due to some error issue in your system. Then download a fresh copy of the software and run the setup in normal mode. Remember that your must logged in as a Administrator. There is link below which will take you to the official troubleshooting guide of iTunes. This can give your more help.
    Apple iTunes Troubleshoot