Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Superfetch has stopped working

Vista Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-06-2007
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Superfetch has stopped working

I want to find out about an error message I keep getting on my Window Vista
Ultimate computer, with 320gb hard disk with 2gb RAM. I get a message that
"Superfetch has stopped working" and an option to search the internet for a
solution. If I click the details it tells me that the SVCHost.exe has
crashed. Does anyone know what this means or is there a download or
something to fix it? This is a new computer, and I would like to know
whether it is fixable or should I be taking it back to the shop I bought it
from?

Tracey

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


Hi Tracey,

Try this to check the service:
1. Open Start Menu
2. In white line (Start Search) area type *sevices* and press Enter.
3. Scroll down and look for "Superfetch" under the Name column.
4. Make sure it is set for STARTED and AUTOMATIC.
5. If it isn't, then right click on "Superfetch" and click Properties.
6. Click START and then click AUTOMATIC. (By Startup type)
7. Click OK to apply.

Hope this helps,
Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2007
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working

I have looked at this and it is as you suggest. There must be some other
problem. Thanks for your help anyway.

Tracey

"brink" wrote:

>
> Hi Tracey,
>
> Try this to check the service:
> 1. Open Start Menu
> 2. In white line (Start Search) area type *sevices* and press Enter.
> 3. Scroll down and look for "Superfetch" under the Name column.
> 4. Make sure it is set for STARTED and AUTOMATIC.
> 5. If it isn't, then right click on "Superfetch" and click Properties.
> 6. Click START and then click AUTOMATIC. (By Startup type)
> 7. Click OK to apply.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


Tracey;341104 Wrote:
> I have looked at this and it is as you suggest. There must be some other
> problem. Thanks for your help anyway.
>
> Tracey
>
>


Ok Tracey,

You might read through the Event logs on your computer to see if it may
reveal what the problem is. In Administrator Tools or:
1. Open Start Menu
2. In white line (Start Search) area type *eventvwr* and press Enter.
3. Just read through the different logs for around the time it started
to do this and maybe it'll show what it is in the error reports.

Hope this helps,
Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2007
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working

Okay, this time when the error message came up, I wrote down exactly what was
in the details section. Here goes:

Problem event name: Application Crash
Application Name: svchost.exe_SysMain
Application version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b5f5
Fault Module Name: sysmain.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d338
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000033bc5
O.S. version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 5b06
Additional Information 2: 3ab7c7209a3192146aee3c491587ed94
Additional Information 3: 3b96
Additional Information 4: 084b4e015346ee989579c4d77479e5d5

Make of that what you will.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


Ok Tracey,

Go to this link for details and do the sfc /SCANNOW one. It may repair
your system file for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...les.html?ltr=S

Hope it helps,
Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2007
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working

Thanks, Brink. I did that and it said there were no integrity errors. Do
you have any other ideas?

Tracey

"brink" wrote:

>
> Ok Tracey,
>
> Go to this link for details and do the sfc /SCANNOW one. It may repair
> your system file for you.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...les.html?ltr=S
>
> Hope it helps,
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.
>

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


Ok Tracey,

I read a few hundred more pages on this and no one really knows for
sure what is causing it yet. A few theories, but nothing conclusive.

1. One person updated their ATI video drivers and it stopped.

2. Another turned off Indexing services and it stopped.

3. Did you do a upgrade install for Vista from within XP instead of
doing a clean install with the upgrade?
I noticed that this has been the cause of a lot of mysterious problems.


You might try updating your video drivers, it wouldn't hurt anything.

If it is just driving you nuts, you could disable the Superfetch
service until there is a known solution for the problem found. Just
follow the same steps in the earlier post, but do STOP and then
DISABLE.

I'm out of ideas until something else pops up on it.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13-06-2007
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working

Thanks, Shawn. I appreciate your time in trying to help me with this. I
will try all the things you have suggested, but I suppose I go back to my
original question - this computer is only a few weeks old - should I be
returning it? If not, how stable is it? I originally asked the question
because when I get the error message the screen goes blank for a second or
two, and I am really concerned that I am going to lose all my data - this is
a business computer so this would be a massive disaster. From what you are
saying here, this is a Vista bug and in time there will be a fix for it and I
am happy to wait for that if I am sure that I won't lose everything in the
meantime. Any thoughts?

Tracey

"brink" wrote:

>
> Ok Tracey,
>
> I read a few hundred more pages on this and no one really knows for
> sure what is causing it yet. A few theories, but nothing conclusive.
>
> 1. One person updated their ATI video drivers and it stopped.
>
> 2. Another turned off Indexing services and it stopped.
>
> 3. Did you do a upgrade install for Vista from within XP instead of
> doing a clean install with the upgrade?
> I noticed that this has been the cause of a lot of mysterious problems.
>
>
> You might try updating your video drivers, it wouldn't hurt anything.
>
> If it is just driving you nuts, you could disable the Superfetch
> service until there is a known solution for the problem found. Just
> follow the same steps in the earlier post, but do STOP and then
> DISABLE.
>
> I'm out of ideas until something else pops up on it.
>
> Hope this helps some,
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.
>

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13-06-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


Tracey;343252 Wrote:
> Thanks, Shawn. I appreciate your time in trying to help me with this. I
> will try all the things you have suggested, but I suppose I go back to
> my
> original question - this computer is only a few weeks old - should I be
> returning it? If not, how stable is it? I originally asked the question
> because when I get the error message the screen goes blank for a second
> or
> two, and I am really concerned that I am going to lose all my data -
> this is
> a business computer so this would be a massive disaster. From what you
> are
> saying here, this is a Vista bug and in time there will be a fix for it
> and I
> am happy to wait for that if I am sure that I won't lose everything in
> the
> meantime. Any thoughts?
>
> Tracey
>
>


Tracey,

If it's only a few weeks old, then yes I would take it back and demand
another one or that they fix it for you free. Since no one knows what
the true cause of the problem is, it's hard to say if it's a Vista bug
or a incompatible 3rd party program or device on Vista. It shouldn't be
doing that right out of the box. Go get them.

Regards,
Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2007
christine
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Superfetch has stopped working

the exact same thing happens to me and I take brinks advice but it crashes
after i get superfetch to start. Please help!!!!

"Tracey" wrote:

> I want to find out about an error message I keep getting on my Window Vista
> Ultimate computer, with 320gb hard disk with 2gb RAM. I get a message that
> "Superfetch has stopped working" and an option to search the internet for a
> solution. If I click the details it tells me that the SVCHost.exe has
> crashed. Does anyone know what this means or is there a download or
> something to fix it? This is a new computer, and I would like to know
> whether it is fixable or should I be taking it back to the shop I bought it
> from?
>
> Tracey

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2007
peter.bedford
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


i have been trying to fix this problem for long time ,this fix it thanks


--
peter.bedford
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Superfetch has stopped working


christine;417678 Wrote:
> the exact same thing happens to me and I take brinks advice but it
> crashes
> after i get superfetch to start. Please help!!!!
>
> "Tracey" wrote:
>
> > I want to find out about an error message I keep getting on my Window

> Vista
> > Ultimate computer, with 320gb hard disk with 2gb RAM. I get a message

> that
> > "Superfetch has stopped working" and an option to search the internet

> for a
> > solution. If I click the details it tells me that the SVCHost.exe has
> > crashed. Does anyone know what this means or is there a download or
> > something to fix it? This is a new computer, and I would like to know
> > whether it is fixable or should I be taking it back to the shop I

> bought it
> > from?
> >
> > Tracey


Tracey and Christine,

Sorry, it seems I lost track of this post somehow. I would recommend
doing a Repair Install to fix your problem since the SFC command did not
help you. This tutorial will show you how if you have not already
solved your problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Sorry again,
Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Superfetch has stopped working"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot run superfetch in windows 7 KEATON! Windows Software 7 08-11-2012 02:08 PM
How to disable the SuperFetch on Vista? Wamika Windows Software 4 16-09-2010 10:49 AM
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems; some USB devices stopped working Migueel Portable Devices 4 05-04-2010 04:37 PM
What is Superfetch in windows? rupak Operating Systems 5 22-08-2008 01:59 PM
Hl2.exe has stopped working, cod2_mp has stopped working Healthy Vista Help 3 15-10-2007 10:07 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:18 PM.