Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Chkdsk will not run

Vista Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-06-2007
UWHabs
 
Posts: n/a
Chkdsk will not run

I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps popping up
with errors in my
c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and other
programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a chkdsk
run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to run.
I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've run
msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find the
recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since I
only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it can't,
since it's corrupted.

I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems to
be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone know of a
way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of some
other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2007
WBurchnall
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run


Sorry, I can't provide any helpful insights but can tell you I feel your
pain. I think chkdsk is broken sometimes. I went through the same steps
you went through on my pc. Even tried restoring the backup copies of
chkdsk in my windows directories backup folders c:\windows\srx? I forgot
the exact path but something like that.

Still, I run chkdsk, tell it to run on restart, restart...and it
doesn't run. Just boots me into Windows. Even in the DVD's repair my
computer mode's command prompt. Still won't work.


--
WBurchnall
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2007
PaulB
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Chkdsk will not run

Are you scheduling CHKDSK /f from inside Command Prompt after opening it
with Run as Administrator?
--
Paul


"UWHabs" wrote:

> I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps popping up
> with errors in my
> c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
> folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and other
> programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a chkdsk
> run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to run.
> I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've run
> msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find the
> recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since I
> only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it can't,
> since it's corrupted.
>
> I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems to
> be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone know of a
> way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of some
> other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2007
UWHabs
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Chkdsk will not run

Yeah, I've had it scheduled with both the command prompt and through
selecting it from the properties dialog box on my c: drive. Never seems to
want to run (except when using no command line options, but then it just runs
and says, "you have errors on this volume").

"PaulB" wrote:

> Are you scheduling CHKDSK /f from inside Command Prompt after opening it
> with Run as Administrator?
> --
> Paul
>
>
> "UWHabs" wrote:
>
> > I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps popping up
> > with errors in my
> > c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
> > folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and other
> > programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a chkdsk
> > run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to run.
> > I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've run
> > msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find the
> > recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since I
> > only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it can't,
> > since it's corrupted.
> >
> > I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems to
> > be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone know of a
> > way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of some
> > other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2007
brink
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run


UWHabs;331634 Wrote:
> I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps
> popping up
> with errors in my
> c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
> folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and
> other
> programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a
> chkdsk
> run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it
> to run.
> I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've
> run
> msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find
> the
> recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since
> I
> only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it
> can't,
> since it's corrupted.
>
> I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems
> to
> be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone know
> of a
> way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of
> some
> other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any
> help.


Hi UWHabs,

I don't know if you tried this method, but it's work a look and try.
Go to this link for full details:

'_http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tips/67612-checkdisk.html?ltr=C_'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tip...isk.html?ltr=C)

Hope this helps,
Shawn


--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2007
PaulB
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Chkdsk will not run

Are you opening the command prompt with "Run as Administrator"?
--
Paul


"UWHabs" wrote:

> Yeah, I've had it scheduled with both the command prompt and through
> selecting it from the properties dialog box on my c: drive. Never seems to
> want to run (except when using no command line options, but then it just runs
> and says, "you have errors on this volume").
>
> "PaulB" wrote:
>
> > Are you scheduling CHKDSK /f from inside Command Prompt after opening it
> > with Run as Administrator?
> > --
> > Paul
> >
> >
> > "UWHabs" wrote:
> >
> > > I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps popping up
> > > with errors in my
> > > c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
> > > folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and other
> > > programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a chkdsk
> > > run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to run.
> > > I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've run
> > > msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find the
> > > recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since I
> > > only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it can't,
> > > since it's corrupted.
> > >
> > > I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems to
> > > be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone know of a
> > > way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of some
> > > other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2007
WBurchnall
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run


Yes, I am running the command in an administrator command prompt and
with the /f parameter


--
WBurchnall
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2007
Chad Harris
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run

Hi UW--

1) Are you typing the Y as in the instructions to run at next boot?
2) I'd opt for chkdsk /R because R implies (includes) chkdksk/F and in
practice they don't have to be upper case--I just did that to be clear.

CH

"UWHabs" <UWHabs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:068ADF3E-920E-4E7F-943C-D7C4805DEAB2@microsoft.com...
> Yeah, I've had it scheduled with both the command prompt and through
> selecting it from the properties dialog box on my c: drive. Never seems
> to
> want to run (except when using no command line options, but then it just
> runs
> and says, "you have errors on this volume").
>
> "PaulB" wrote:
>
>> Are you scheduling CHKDSK /f from inside Command Prompt after opening it
>> with Run as Administrator?
>> --
>> Paul
>>
>>
>> "UWHabs" wrote:
>>
>> > I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps
>> > popping up
>> > with errors in my
>> > c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
>> > folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and
>> > other
>> > programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a
>> > chkdsk
>> > run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it
>> > to run.
>> > I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've
>> > run
>> > msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find
>> > the
>> > recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since
>> > I
>> > only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it
>> > can't,
>> > since it's corrupted.
>> >
>> > I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems
>> > to
>> > be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone
>> > know of a
>> > way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of
>> > some
>> > other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any
>> > help.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2007
Dutchscout
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run

When the computer starts, it calls autochk.exe to see if a drive is 'dirty'
(has the 'dirty bit' set) or if a scan has been scheduled. There is a
problem sometimes with autochk.exe. Try running autochk.exe in windows from
the command line (as an administrator). You will get an error, but look at
what the error says. If it says something about not running in Win32 mode,
it's probably normal. However, if the error message says "Program too big to
fit in memory," the autochk file might be corrupt, and no matter how many
times you schedule chkdsk to run, it won't if autochk is corrupt. When I
replaced the file, chkdsk worked again.
Here is the post I wrote about this:
"
Ahah!

Okay, I got the no-scan-on-startup problem fixed on my computer. Credit
definately goes to the blogger who posted on this topic. I'll add the link,
but know that the first 3/4 of the article includes some frustrated
profanity. In a nutshell the stupid autochk.exe file is corrupted somehow,
so all you do is replace it. This takes some work in Vista, but it worked
for me. My computer scanned! I believe this was the real problem because my
computer used to scan itself, but wouldn't after a while. There is a very
significant chance the problem came from a microsoft hotfix. I'll leave it
to them to figure out if that's what happened or which hotfix, etc... All I
care about is my computer scans itself without recovery console :) So here
are the steps to fix this problem in Vista... the only problem is you will
need a windows XP Install disk (I'll explain why...)

Go to C:\Windows\System32
Right click on Autochk.exe -> Properties
Click the Security tab, then click Advanced (button)
On the new window 'Advanced Security Settings for Autochk.exe' click the
'Owner' tab
Below the box labeled 'Change owner to:' click 'Edit...'
In the new window, under 'Change owner to:' select yourself (or the
Administrators group), then click OK
Close all property windows for autochk.exe, then go back to (right click)
Properties->Security
Click 'Edit...'
On the window 'Permissions for Autochk.exe' select the Administrators group,
then under 'Allow' click the 'Full Control' checkbox
Click OK and close the property windows
Ok...NOW you can rename autochk.exe to autochk_old.exe (that took a lot of
work!)

Now, I looked at Vista's installation DVD. All of the system files are
tucked nicely into 1 .wim file. This is a windows image file, and I'm not
sure how to pull the files out of it, so I just grabbed a handy XP
installation CD. The autochk.exe file is located at
(DriveLetter):\I386\AUTOCHK.EXE

Copy the AUTOCHK.EXE file from the XP installation disk to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOCHK.EXE and you should be good to go!

I'll recontact Dell with this information, apparently other (non-Dell) users
are having this problem too.

Oh, yeah, the site where I found the solution:
"http://www.suehappycowboy.org/blog/?p=112" Thanks very very much!

dutchscout

PS As a followup, I searched online for 'how to open a wim file' in order to
get the vista 'version' AUTOCHK.EXE from the install.wim file on the install
disk. The process seems a little complicated, but there is a toolkit from
Microsoft for it. I'm probably just going to stick with the XP version until
there is a hotfix for this problem. The Microsoft toolkit for .wim files is
called the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) and is mostly for system
administrators. If you want to, though give it a try and let me know how it
goes! You might want to read this first:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...616/94616.html
"

There are other possibilities as well. Make sure the registry entries for
autochk are correct. There is a MS Knowledge Base article on this (160963)
at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.../160963/EN-US/
it's about using the program chkntfs which schedules disk scans and can
exclude a drive from being checked at startup.
Basically, the program modifies an entry in the registry which runs autochk.
The entry is in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager
and the default value is
BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *
the autocheck autochk * part is the actual value, BootExecute is the name of
the value, and REG_MULTI_SZ is the type of value it is.


Overall, I hope this helps!

dutchscout

"WBurchnall" wrote:

>
> Yes, I am running the command in an administrator command prompt and
> with the /f parameter
>
>
> --
> WBurchnall
>

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13-06-2007
UWHabs
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run

Thanks for the advice, but I read that post and tried it before without
success. Still doesn't work for me. Anyone have a suggestion to try?

Matt

"Dutchscout" wrote:

> When the computer starts, it calls autochk.exe to see if a drive is 'dirty'
> (has the 'dirty bit' set) or if a scan has been scheduled. There is a
> problem sometimes with autochk.exe. Try running autochk.exe in windows from
> the command line (as an administrator). You will get an error, but look at
> what the error says. If it says something about not running in Win32 mode,
> it's probably normal. However, if the error message says "Program too big to
> fit in memory," the autochk file might be corrupt, and no matter how many
> times you schedule chkdsk to run, it won't if autochk is corrupt. When I
> replaced the file, chkdsk worked again.
> Here is the post I wrote about this:
> "
> Ahah!
>
> Okay, I got the no-scan-on-startup problem fixed on my computer. Credit
> definately goes to the blogger who posted on this topic. I'll add the link,
> but know that the first 3/4 of the article includes some frustrated
> profanity. In a nutshell the stupid autochk.exe file is corrupted somehow,
> so all you do is replace it. This takes some work in Vista, but it worked
> for me. My computer scanned! I believe this was the real problem because my
> computer used to scan itself, but wouldn't after a while. There is a very
> significant chance the problem came from a microsoft hotfix. I'll leave it
> to them to figure out if that's what happened or which hotfix, etc... All I
> care about is my computer scans itself without recovery console :) So here
> are the steps to fix this problem in Vista... the only problem is you will
> need a windows XP Install disk (I'll explain why...)
>
> Go to C:\Windows\System32
> Right click on Autochk.exe -> Properties
> Click the Security tab, then click Advanced (button)
> On the new window 'Advanced Security Settings for Autochk.exe' click the
> 'Owner' tab
> Below the box labeled 'Change owner to:' click 'Edit...'
> In the new window, under 'Change owner to:' select yourself (or the
> Administrators group), then click OK
> Close all property windows for autochk.exe, then go back to (right click)
> Properties->Security
> Click 'Edit...'
> On the window 'Permissions for Autochk.exe' select the Administrators group,
> then under 'Allow' click the 'Full Control' checkbox
> Click OK and close the property windows
> Ok...NOW you can rename autochk.exe to autochk_old.exe (that took a lot of
> work!)
>
> Now, I looked at Vista's installation DVD. All of the system files are
> tucked nicely into 1 .wim file. This is a windows image file, and I'm not
> sure how to pull the files out of it, so I just grabbed a handy XP
> installation CD. The autochk.exe file is located at
> (DriveLetter):\I386\AUTOCHK.EXE
>
> Copy the AUTOCHK.EXE file from the XP installation disk to
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOCHK.EXE and you should be good to go!
>
> I'll recontact Dell with this information, apparently other (non-Dell) users
> are having this problem too.
>
> Oh, yeah, the site where I found the solution:
> "http://www.suehappycowboy.org/blog/?p=112" Thanks very very much!
>
> dutchscout
>
> PS As a followup, I searched online for 'how to open a wim file' in order to
> get the vista 'version' AUTOCHK.EXE from the install.wim file on the install
> disk. The process seems a little complicated, but there is a toolkit from
> Microsoft for it. I'm probably just going to stick with the XP version until
> there is a hotfix for this problem. The Microsoft toolkit for .wim files is
> called the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) and is mostly for system
> administrators. If you want to, though give it a try and let me know how it
> goes! You might want to read this first:
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...616/94616.html
> "
>
> There are other possibilities as well. Make sure the registry entries for
> autochk are correct. There is a MS Knowledge Base article on this (160963)
> at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.../160963/EN-US/
> it's about using the program chkntfs which schedules disk scans and can
> exclude a drive from being checked at startup.
> Basically, the program modifies an entry in the registry which runs autochk.
> The entry is in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager
> and the default value is
> BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *
> the autocheck autochk * part is the actual value, BootExecute is the name of
> the value, and REG_MULTI_SZ is the type of value it is.
>
>
> Overall, I hope this helps!
>
> dutchscout
>
> "WBurchnall" wrote:
>
> >
> > Yes, I am running the command in an administrator command prompt and
> > with the /f parameter
> >
> >
> > --
> > WBurchnall
> >

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22-08-2007
uvbogden
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Chkdsk will not run

My computer was unable to do error checking (chkdsk) and errors began to
accumulate. System restore did not go back far enough to restore this
function. System File Check identified a corrupt system file "autochk.exe"
that sfc was unable to repair. Instead of doing a clean install, I was able
to do an Upgrade Install that preserved my programs, devices, settings, etc.
(see John Barnett Windows MVP).

I wanted to replace my corrupt system file with a good one from the Vista
Install DVD without having to do a complete install, but was unable to do
this until now. From multiple sources including contributors on Vista
Communities, Windows IT Pro, How-To Geek, and Vistax64 Forum, I have put
together a tutorial on how to access files from your Vista Install DVD that
you can use to replace corrupt files in your OS. See the link below:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86...dvd-files.html

System File Check will identify corrupt system files that it can't repair
(see CBS.log). You can replace your corrupt files with good copies from the
Vista Install DVD. Many thanks to those who contributed to this solution.


"brink" wrote:

>
> UWHabs;331634 Wrote:
> > I have been having problems for about a week or so where it keeps
> > popping up
> > with errors in my
> > c:\users\loginname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\T28GTS27
> > folder (with the error files as stuff like msnmgr.exe, cmd.exe, and
> > other
> > programs I run). It says to run chkdsk to fix it, and so I schedule a
> > chkdsk
> > run (has to go on restart), but no matter what I try, I cannot get it
> > to run.
> > I've checked that the dirty bit is set, I've booted to safe mode, I've
> > run
> > msconfig to change it to boot into diagnostic mode, I've tried to find
> > the
> > recovery mode when booting with the DVD (I can't seem to find it, since
> > I
> > only have an upgrade DVD). I've tried just deleting the file, but it
> > can't,
> > since it's corrupted.
> >
> > I've searched many places for solutions, but nothing I have tried seems
> > to
> > be able to get chkdsk to run and fix my corrupt files. Does anyone know
> > of a
> > way to be able to force chkdsk to fix my files, or at least know of
> > some
> > other equivalent program which can fix these files? Thanks for any
> > help.

>
> Hi UWHabs,
>
> I don't know if you tried this method, but it's work a look and try.
> Go to this link for full details:
>
> '_http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tips/67612-checkdisk.html?ltr=C_'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tip...isk.html?ltr=C)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> "Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others
>

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22-10-2007
Rick Ferris
 
Posts: n/a
chkdsk will not run

One suggestion I would make is to go external. If you build a special boot CD (perhaps on another PC), you could boot with it and run the chkdsk from there. I use the program called UBCD4WIN (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows). It is actually a special version of your OS (I don't think it will work from an upgrade CD, however). Once booted, it sees your drive partitions as drives, but they have no open files and therefore you can run CHKDSk on one or all of them. Go to www.ubcd4win.com for more information.

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Chkdsk will not run"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHKDSK atebo88 Vista Help 6 30-01-2011 11:39 PM
Windows 7: Random auto-Chkdsk on startup and Chkdsk is also unstable & freezes Dak-Ho Operating Systems 3 12-12-2010 07:12 PM
chkdsk will not run. Jasonholt MediaCenter 4 26-08-2010 06:52 PM
Can't run chkdsk crispbac Operating Systems 4 30-06-2009 05:59 PM
CHKDSK /R or CHKDSK /F permission issues. Viking_Magic Vista Help 5 26-02-2008 06:57 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:57 PM.