Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set file association through control panel not working in Vista

Set file association through control panel not working in Vista

I want some help to deal with settings up a file association for a game in Windows Vista. The game that I am downloading is Big City Adventure: San Francisco by BigFish. When I try to download the same it gives me a error saying that there is no associated program available in Vista to perform this action. What does that means. Also the message says that I need to create a file association via Control Panel. How to do that. It is a game and it works just downloading it. You just need to install it anyway. The extension that I had seen was .rgp which looks very different. While other games that I had downloaded were .exe. They work simply by downloading. I got this problem after upgrading to Vista from Windows XP.

It is a file association error. When you launch a file, it looks for appropriate program to locate the files. I was bit miffed before due to this thing. I had many .ppt files in my computer. Suddenly one day when I double clicked on that, it gave me error that there is no associated program available to open the document. I tried open with option but in the same there was no PowerPoint listed. But I can open the same by running PowerPoint first and then click on File > Open. For games I had not heard about .rgp extension. Try to find the .exe version which will install the game automatically.

re: Set file association through control panel not working in Vista

Setting up file association is not a complicated job. You just need to modify the settings through Control Panel. Look for Default programs in that and then click on Associate. The game extension you had mentiond .rgb is a RealArcade format. You have to find a associated program related to the same. If there is no program available in your pc which allows you to download or buy RealArcade game then the error will be continuous. There are some third party software available that can help you to set program file association. One of them is Creative Element Power Tools. This software can help to modify the file association making it a easier job. )

set association control panel

I got that error while opening a attachment I received in my email. I had checked on control panel to set a file association for that, but cannot locate any settings. Is there any other way to fix that.

It is find Default Program inside Control Panel. You can use this. First of mention here what is the file in your attachment. Is it a image, video, document, archive, etc. It is necessary to determine the extension so that you can manually set the associated program. Second thing you can try another way. Download the attachment on your desktop. Then right click on the file and click on Open With. Windows will show the related program. Choose one and then below you can see a small tick box, which will enable the program by default. Tick on the same and then click on OK.

That is not a right answer I think. Somehow I found the solutions incomplete here. When you are getting that message that simply means there is no associated program installed in your computer. When there is a associated program installed in your computer you do not need to work on file association. So the first thing you have to check, that there is no software installed related to that. Windows is capable of identifying the associated program based on the last file extension. So there is nothing to worry much. For example if you have Microsoft Office installed in your computer then all .doc or .xls files will be handled by Vista to open in Word or Office. There is no need to look for file association manually. Sometime compatibility also affects. Like a number of time after upgrading there are some program which does not work in newer systems. They create compatibility issue creating issue for different file programs.

The error clearly says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
    action. create an association in set association control panel", that there is no program installed. So it is not going to work. There is no way you can open that extension. Now the chances are looking for the right program which can handle the extension. And I had notice a number of time this kind of errors only appear after upgrade or running Windows Update.

My system is almost going to die soon. I had faced a number of virus popups on my screen. First it stopped reading office documents. Now the .exe setups are not working. I was trying to run a new antivirus setup in Vista. When double click on the .exe file it gave me the same error. It looks time to format the computer completely.

File association to some extent is affected by virus infection and upgrades. Some missing files cause the issue. But running a full Windows Update can fix the issue. Try this out, run Update and let Windows file all important files as per needed. Once done reboot your system. Now try run those .exe files again. It can also be due to corrupt installer. There are third party installer available that you can download and use.

Mostly we can do nothing much in that. My system failed to read .doc file from emails. I restored the computer things started working back again. So you need to ensure that there are no major changes in the computer done recently. That is mostly done by Windows Update. Somehow making a manual settings by settings file association to each file can work to limited files only. For the .rgp file you have to download the entire program back again.

Run a antivirus scanner for sometime. Do that in safe mode. Virus can be a reason behind that. File association are mostly handled by Vista itself. There are less chances that some third party software's can make it improper. Some recent changes might have cause the same thing. It is possible to fix the thing back again by editing Windows Registry. For that you have to check each of them one by one and finding the right value to edit.

I have a new hp computer and when I want to print something of interest it says I do not have set associations control panel. What to do??

I get the same error message when trying to open pdf files attached to emails. I have Vista on my computer. It never used to have a problem. I figure I ran some update and it got screwed up. I have tried saving and opening elsewhere, resetting my internet options, reloading adobe reader and setting that as my default program to open pdf's....I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of interesting questions but where are the answers. How do I find out which program supports the file type? If so many of us are getting "THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS ACTION" why is there no simple explanation as to how to get round it

Basically a file is supported by a software or application. In most cases the application and the file type are both by the same company. You can consider the example of Adobe here, adobe provided pdf file extension with adobe reader. Though there are other software that read pdf files. The thing is that the encoding required to read a pdf file is available in adobe reader etc... but not in ms word etc...That is why you have to select an appropriate program to run a specific file type.

?Thank you very much. How though do I find out which is the appropriate programme to select

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast