Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set file association through control panel not working in Vista

re: Set file association through control panel not working in Vista

I am trying to use a game on my computer called Combat Arms, the short cut needs a downlod called:nmcogame.dll and when I download it it gives me an error saying,This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the Set Associtations control panel, if you have any information on how can I fix this problem, shoot me an e-mail: ilikechocalate75@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Davis View Post
    I am trying to use a game on my computer called Combat Arms, the short cut needs a downlod called:nmcogame.dll and when I download it it gives me an error saying,This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the Set Associtations control panel, if you have any information on how can I fix this problem, shoot me an e-mail: ilikechocalate75@yahoo.com
    The exe file extension might be broken in your operating system, so you will need to run the exefix_cu.reg file, download it from here. Save it to your desktop and double click it. The problem is often caused by a virus affecting the registry entry related to the file association for .exe files so you may have to remove the offending virus.

I just removed the "Vista Security 2011" virus from my husband's computer. When it left, it took (I'm assuming) some "infected" files with it. The result is I now have to press "Run As Administrator" to open my Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or any other application. None of my desktop Program icons seems to work otherwise. (Txt documents are not affected). I receive the message "This File Does Not Have A Program Associated With It For Performing This Action. Create An Association In The "Set Associations" Control Panel". Now I know how to get to my Association Control Panel but I do not know what to do from there. Obviously I have the proper applications to run the programs or I couldn't open them even under Administrator. It's a very simple problem but annoying. It also does this with the Icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the computer (nxt to volume, ect...) of a FlashDrive (to remove it safely). And also the small icon associated with Windows Security Alerts next to that. (Ps. none of my shortcuts for programs in my start-up bar are working either).

Hi, I have recently installed MS Office 2010 on my laptop, it worked fine for a few days, but then it suddenly broke down and now any time I try to run a MS Office program or open a file of this type, I get either this "Set Associations" or "side-by-side configuration" error. What should I do? Thanks for any help!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Nutka View Post
    Hi, I have recently installed MS Office 2010 on my laptop, it worked fine for a few days, but then it suddenly broke down and now any time I try to run a MS Office program or open a file of this type, I get either this "Set Associations" or "side-by-side configuration" error. What should I do? Thanks for any help!:)
    Can you try to Uninstall and re-install Office by running the Fix it mentioned in the article below. Also ensure that you have the disk and the product key for re-installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Thanks, shame, it didn't worked out... I have tried "fixing" it with the fix button as well. I would probably have to reinstall windows (though I hoped it would not be necessary)

So, I am a little startled by the problem I am having and its origins. See, I, like many here, have been getting the general message of "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." But this isn't regarding a downloaded feature. It's about every program I try to open. The only one working, as my father figured out, is internet explorer (It's the program he trusts, for some reason.), but only from its place in the start menu, not any icon or shortcut. No other program from the start menu works, nor any shortcut or icon. This worries me so because they only stopped working after the last time I used the computer. The last time I used it I was running virus scans and cleaners, etc. (Malwarebytes and CCleaner) Never in the past has either program done any harm to my computer(s), so I am very confused. Please, any help would be wonderful in what to do.

There are couple of threads available on the forum and you can use any of the below mentioned.
    How to create an association in set association control panel
    Vista error on Create Association in the Set Association Control Panel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12