Thread: Indexing is not running

Indexing is not running

Hi, this is Windows Vista. Today whiel doing some troubleshooting i found that there are about 2GB indexing files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search on my system. So far i might have tried indexing over 200,000 files in 'Indexing Options' - 'Modify'. Also there are few corrupt files as well whom i found removing better from indexed folder, and rebuilt it from 'Advanced' menu. After doing this my ****\Microsoft\Search folder was completely empty.

Later i tried to add index locations in 'Indexing Options'. But when i launch 'Indexing Options', i found there is not a single folder and a pop up appears saying 'Indexing is not running'. I would have fixed it but dont know why the 'Modify' and 'Advanced' buttons are grayed out and became unclickable. Due to this i am not able to add location anymore.

While troubleshooting this i found that 'c:\windows \system32\SearchIndexer.exe' has stopped working completely. Now i dont have any idea what to do. Can anyone here please tell me how to How can I restart index service?

Re: Indexing is not running

Here is a update guys. I just found a service called 'Windows Search' that launches 'C:\Windows \system32\SearchIndexer.exe /Embedding'. But whenever i try to start the same, it gives me an error message saying:

"Windows could not start the Windows Search on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -2147218141."

Now when i open Windows Explorer and try to search any specific keyword, it comes up with an error bar saying "'Your searches might be slow because the index is not running. Click to turn on the index...'.

Now what?

hello, is there any reply to this posts? I also have the same problem with may system. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tentay10 View Post
    hello, is there any reply to this posts? I also have the same problem with may system. thanks!
    Can you please specify your problems in more details? Have you even tried opening the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. You can follow the method suggested here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...troubleshooter