Thread: Mouse freezes intermittently

Mouse freezes intermittently

I recently installed Windows Vista on my desktop which worked fine so far, for a month now. But since a week it has started giving me some problems. No matter which program I am using, let it be web browser Firefox or IE, Paint Shop, any Office application or anything, my mouse get freeze intermittently for about 4 to 10 seconds. This happens 2 to 3 times in 5 minutes. I don’t know what has went wrong. I tried updating drivers for my entire system but that doesn’t seems to be working at all.

I even found some solutions on this forum and followed them but none of them worked for me. Somebody told me that the cause of this issue could be Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 which I have installed. I even tried removing the same but that dint helped too. Can somebody please tell me where the problem is? This is getting very annoying.

Thank you.

There could be several reasons for the same. Did you check the Task Manager just before after the freeze? If not check it when next time your mouse freezes to see which process is taking up the huge system resources. Possibly there could be some another application as well which is eating up entire CPU resources which results into mouse freeze. If you fix the same, your mouse should also get fixed.

By the what kind of mouse are you using? Is it cordless or wired mouse? Also on Vista are you using Aero Mouse pointers? If yes, let me tell you that the recent Nvidia drivers have some problems with Aero Mouse pointers and will cause the intermittent mouse cursor issue. SO simply try changing them to some another mouse pointer Hope it helps.

Re: Mouse freezes intermittently

Frank:

I have used a corded mouse and had zero problems.

What is the solution for a MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. I've concluded that has to be the issue.

Hey guys even i am facing exactly the same problem. My mouse pointer stucks for several minutes automatically. But in my case when i hit any key on th keyboard it gets to normal. Strange. I tried searching web for helps and found few but none of them worked for me as well.

As per troubleshooting i tried all external USB devices, no success. Tried re-installing Windows Vista but that dint made any change, still the mouse freezes. Microsoft has nothing to offer on its site either. Hope some one from here can provide some permanent fix for the same.

I found that if I unplug ALL my USB devices, wait 30 seconds and plug them all back in, the freezing problem seems to disappear. I'm using a Microsoft 3000 USB Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by rrichard39 View Post
    I found that if I unplug ALL my USB devices, wait 30 seconds and plug them all back in, the freezing problem seems to disappear. I'm using a Microsoft 3000 USB Mouse.
    First of all, have you tired replacing the battery on your Microsoft 3000 USB Mouse? And if that doesn't fix it, try removing the USB dongle; plug it in different USB port. Otherwise it might be a dead USB dongle, they tend to die alot for some reason. Other than that if it is under warranty then ask for a replcament from microsoft.

I have been having the same problem myself.

Mouse pointer just locks, sometimes it says usb device not recognized.

I have tried the following:

Reinstalled logitec drivers
    Changed USB ports multiple times
    Deleted Logitec drivers, using only MS drivers
    System restore
    Cleaned usb terminals female/male on mouse & pc
    Bought a new mouse (my PC does not have psp port for mouse, only usb)

When this problem is occuring my PCU is not running at more then 30 percent, ram is under 60 percent. I have heard so many crazy solutions like disabling the option to turn off usb to save power, updating drivers multiple times, get a new mouse, etc....

There has to be a USB driver issue causing this!!!

Is there anybody out there intelligent enough to help solve this problem?

System specs :
    4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
    1tb HD
    Asus mobo
    Logitec G5 mouse
    Windows vista business 64bit
    AMD Quad Black Edition @ 3.5ghz

You are absolutely 100% wasting your time.

You are NOT going to find a magic solution.

My office was unfortunate enough to have ordered about 20 MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 v2 with the wireless keyboard 6000 v3 combo. They are JUNK.

Each mouse has the same intermident freeze problem. Some of the keyboards have the same problem.

You have two options:

1) Return if under warranty; or
    2) Take a hammer and enjoy beating the sh$t out of it.

I also have a Microsoft 7000 wireless series. The mouse in that series is defective. Some have been successful of getting the mouse to charge by putting a layer of paper around the battery, etc. If you google it you will see that it is a widespread issue.

IMO, Microsoft hardware is unreliable and poorly made. I have never had any issues with Logitech. I personally will NEVER purchase any hardware that is made by Microsoft! JUNK JUNK JUNK!