Thread: lost user password in vista

lost user password in vista

I am using this HP laptop with Windows Vista since past two months. I was out for a week and now when i returned i am not able to recall the user password as i changed it just before leaving the home. I am no more able to login to my system because of wrong user password. Somebody please help. How can i unlock my system.

Re: lost user password in vista

Hi, i too having a very strange problem. You atleast forgot the password but in my case i just opened the box, get out my brand new laptop with Vista, did all required settings and configuration, gave an easy administrator password, logged off and when trying to login back it is saying "wrong password".

That is annoying, its been more than 4 hours i am trying to unlock the same but stuck with reading "Wrong Password". I haven't yet made any password recovery disk. What can I do? Please provide some working solution. Many thanks.

If you have just one Administrator account and forgot the password for the same, then you can simply change it from Safe Mode. Restart the computer, keep tapping F8 key after the bios screen and select Safe Mode from the boot menu screen. Also this will enable the built-in Administrator account for the one session. The default password may be a blank.

As a suggestion, you should always keep atleast 2 to 3 Administrator account so that you can use the other Admin account for changing passwords in case you lost.

Thank you very much for your help buddy, i really appreciate it but going into safe mode dint helped me in anyway. But anyway, i managed to fix the problem by going into bios, change the cd to the start drive and then do a recovery and reinstall of the 1st Windows section. The process was bit lengthy but i am not able to login to my system comfortably. And yeah, i followed your suggestion and created 2 more Admin accounts for future references. Thanks by the way.

Same here, Safe Mode dint do the trick. I tried the very old trick which i use to follow in XP. I simply performed a system restore to a point when i changed the password and my account is back. I remember the older password and was able to unlock the system using the same.