Thread: Vista will not show jpeg thumbnails, Help!!

Vista will not show jpeg thumbnails, Help!!

Hi, i am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I have several images in My Pictures folders including jpegs, bitmat, png. etc. But dont know why only bitmap images show up but not any other images. For example, none of jpeg images show up in any folders, no thumbnails of them, but the bitmat ones show properly. I even checked the Folder options and set them to show up by unchecking the option "show icons instead on thumbnails but yet the same problem.

This problem started recently. Earlier it was working fine. Hence i thought system restore may fix the problem but it dint. I even deleted the iconcache folder so it would be rebuilt, yet no success. Now i have no left to fix it. Hope somebody from here can tell me where is the problem.

Re: Vista will not show jpeg thumbnails, Help!!

As you said your Files wont show up, does it means that the file extension wont show up? If yes, open the folder, click on "tools' scroll down to " folder options" then click on the view tab in folder options and uncheck " hide extensions for known file types". Thats it.

And if it is not the case, then what exactly you mean by "Images wont show up"? If they are not showing up in the folder how can you say there are images in that folder?

Thanks for the help kent. I followed the steps you provided but that doesn fix the problem. Files are there in my folder but their thumbnails are not showing up. I think the problem is somewhere in the registry .

Any other help please?

Ok, just try out these steps and see if it works. Open folder options, under General Tab make sure "show preview and filters" and not the "classic windows" are set properly. You should also try searching for an MS article describing resetting the folder options and resetting the registry keys. I am not able to get that link but it will help you out surely.

Well i had this same problem couple of months ago and fer hard work of a week finally i found the fully working fix. Here is what you need to:
    • Go into Start > Pictures
    • Click the "Organize" Dropdown and click "Folder and Search Options"
    • Under the "General" tab click "Show Previews and Filters"
    • Under the "View" tab, make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is UNCHECKED. I also CHECKED "Display file icon on
    • thumbnails", for non-image files.
    • Click "Apply" then "OK".Hope this helps, cos I was going nuts over this for days and I really didn't want to hack into my registry just to fix what seemed like a simple problem.

Try out the same and let me know if you face any more problem.

Hello again JPEGS!

Hi guys 'n gals,

This lack of thumbnails for JPEGs was driving me bananas, and I tried absolutely everything suggested here and elsewhere, including resetting the BagMRU and Bag values in the registry (see the link below ..... be sure always to set up a restore point before fiddling with the registry!), but not as far as the total back up and reload (I've only just gone through the usual 48 hrs of hell with the update clean install!!), however, to no avail, and in my line of business, I have to see an array of many JPEG thumbnails to select the one or ones I need to work with.

However, I had a wee thought ( a rare event): I had previously selected my favourite bitmap editor, Corel PhotoPaint 4X, as the default JPEG editor to use when opening files from a list by left-clicking on them. I went back in to change that [right-click on any JPEG file, choose 'Open With' from the drop down menu, then from the subsequent drop down, select 'Choose Default Program' (at the bottom of the menu].

All of the programs capable of opening the JPEG image will appear.

I selected 'Widows Photo Gallery' from good old Microsoft, closed the resulting image once it appeared, and, voilá, all of my JPEG icons changed back to thumbnails, providing I selected anywhere from medium to extra-large in the 'Views' drop down. Now when I look at the contents of a graphic folder in and out of the Corel programs, all the JPEGs appear again as bitmaps, and of course will open in Corel Photo Paint.

If one were to left-click on a JPEG file out of the Corel environment, it will of course open in Windows Photo Gallery, a small price to pay for being able to see thumbnails again. However, right-clicking on the file even when not in the Corel environment will also allow me to open it in Corel using the 'Open With' command in the drop down menu and choosing 'Corel PhotoPaint' from the displayed options.

I believe this is a quick and easy fix for all of us who really need to see our JPEG files as thumbnails, especially when we are working with many, many files. I did go through the registry fix dexcribed elsewhere.

(and everything else anyone suggested in the other Vista-related foums) till I was blue in the face and I had thoughts of my current computer becoming an expensive anchor for a small boat ...... the dreaded word 'MAC' even drifted in ... anyone reading this from Vista, take heed!! I therefore have no way of knowing if that registry re-set was actually required in addition to my approach, or if simply resetting the default viewing program to one with the blessings of Microsoft would do the trick.

Hope it works for anywone else in the same pickle. I have just wasted the best part of a day getting this small but niggling problem right, but it's worth it. Happy thumbnailing!

I seem to be having a very similar problem.

I have the view options on the folders set up correctly, i.e. in folder options, always show icons is unticked. However in some of the folders the thumbnail is not appearing, while in other folders the thumbnail appears correctly.

One factor that is probably of relevance is that photoshop elements v6 has just been installed and it appears that any jpegs added to the hardrive after this are not being shown correctly as thumbnails. All that is appearing is the blue clouds icon instead of the thumbnail. Strangely if I change the file association, then the thumbnail will briefly appear for a couple of seconds and then will vanish, only to be replaced by the icon.

Note that this problem does not affect any jpegs that were on the hardrive prior to the photoshop installation. The thumbnails for these are all appearing correctly.

So now I am at a loss with what to do.

Has anyone come across this particular variant of the problem?

Thanks for the links. Nothing seemed to work for me. In the end had to revert the harddrive to its original state and reinstal everything. I think the culprit was an earlier version of photoshop elements that had been uninstalled when elements 6 was installed.

Thanks for the help though.

I'm also using windows vista and i was not getting thumbnail of any file whenvevr i minimized them in the taskbar . The Group Policy Object Editor trick here No thumbnails preview of files in Vista solved my problem . Is it the same problem with you?

There is a simple solution. In Vista, go to
    Start (lower left corner)
    select "Control Panel"
    select "Appearance & Personalization"
    Select "Folder Options"
    Select the "View" tab you'll see Files and Folders open
    Uncheck box "Always show icons, never thumbnails
    Click "Ok"

This in effect does the opposite of what the box says;
    never show icons, always thumbnails

There is an even easier solution to what has been suggested.

1. Go into start select the Pictures folder link from right hand menu.
    2. From the Organise menu, select "Folder & Search Options".
    3. Press the Restore Defaults button on the General Tab.
    4. Go into the View menu and choose the Reset Folders button.
    And also in this same tab, click the Restore Defaults button underneath Advanced Settings window.

Hey Presto, your pics will now appear as an image, providing you have selected Thumbnail or Icon from the View menu.

I think certain applications alter these settings without you realising and you can no longer view the actual image thumbail which helps if you have lots of image files. Certain recent Vista f**kdates seem to have caused my problem.

Hope this helps

I had the same problem with my thumbnails,they would appear as icons,
    I tried everything i could but nothing helped, in the end i discovered
    that the problem was caused by my antivirus ,comodo internet security
    I disabled defense-plus and i had my thumbnails back it was so simple,
    so maybe this will help others to solve their problem, i hope so

I was having the same problem where jpg files were showing as the standard picture icon and the folders didn't seem to be showing that they contained pictures. i checked all the previously mentioned settings and they were all fine and this is when I actually stumbled upon a solution for this problem. I'm not sure how old this thread is but here is the solution.

go into your misbehaving folder containing pictures showing the standard icon.
    on my pc i was only seeing the generic windows jpg icon and noticed that if I used the view size "slider" that when the pictures got to a little smaller than medium the thumbnails came back. I then right clicked in the folder field on an empty space then selected the view>extra large icons in the dialog box. my thumbnails are now fixed.