Thread: Internet Explorer has stopped working

Internet Explorer has stopped working

Whenever I work on Internet Explorer for sometime, I got this error saying Internet Explorer has stopped working and it crashes. I have to restart the browser back again to work properly. First I thought this was related to some website. But that was not the actual scene. It even happen while checking emails. What should I do to make this thing work fine.

I am providing you a number of help option that can guide you to fix this issue. But if this does not work then better switch to a different web browser. First lets start with resetting the browser settings. For that go on Control Panel > Internet Option > Advance > Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Click on Reset. Launch the browser and check back. If the same issue appear back again remove any add-on that you had installed recently. Do the same for Toolbars also. The second thing you have to do is either update Internet Explorer to new version or re-install the same. By the way I am using Firefox

There is no way other than re-installing Internet Explorer. If you are on a older version then simply upgrade that to the latest one. Internet Explorer is a bit buggy due to old updates an incompatible add-ons. When you are using it, do not open multiple tabs instantly on it. It reduces the performance and make the browser more buggy. Try to run a repair setup mostly which you can do from Control Panel I think. There can be certain dll files which are causing this issue. Using SFC you can fix those files. Also check that while surfing your internet connection is not dropping which is causing this issue. Get the latest update or re-install it.

Re: Internet Explorer has stopped working

Depending on the operating system you have, you need to make changes. I found this KB article that can guide you a number of ways to fix the IE issue. Just click on the link and read the same.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

I had faced the same thing but luckily I found the solution for it. It was due to Omnipage installed in my system. I am using a scanner and installed Omnipage. I had associated a file with IE which makes it buggy. When uninstalled Omnipage everything start working fine. Also resetting Internet Explorer settings helps a lot. For some reasons this issue appear due to add-ons or toolbars that are not compatible. Also where we add some software they create a file association with IE which can hamper the browser performance. Do not load your browser with unwanted things.

That worked for me. I had skipped using Internet Explorer for that error. I am on Firefox. But just for testing that stuff I though to check out the error. Compared to IE, Firefox is quiet better to some extent. I had checked a option to reset the browser settings and it worked well. Do not forget to disable all addons of your browser making it much lighter in the performance. And if still nothing worked out use Firefox.

Nope - That doesn't work

I disabled all the add-ons, reset the options and don't have Omnipage SE. I've also heard that Yahoo IM and Skype plugins can cause this - both un-installed.
    One person suggested that Office can cause this problem if it needs repairing. I did that - still have a copy of IE7 which generates the error every time I try to close it.
    I guess Roscoe had the right idea 'Time to install Firefox boys.'

My problem is a little different and have searched all over the internet for solutions!

I'm running Vista with Internet Explorer 7 (originally, anyway).

I usually use Firefox but must use IE for access to some of my college sites. Certain college sites work on FF, but then even FF started bugging out on me. So i quickly downloaded Opera as a 3rd backup.

Opera has not had any problems connecting to date, but in the meantime: IE will not connect AT ALL, and FF will connect sometimes. (Whether FF will connect or not seems completely random.)

The error message i get with IE (after waiting a very long time for a page to try loading) is:
    •Internet connectivity has been lost.
    •The website is temporarily unavailable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    •There might be a typing error in the address.
    •If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
    etc etc etc

After MONTHS of not being able to get IE7 operating, I made the mistake of taking someone's advise of uninstalling IE7 and installing IE8-Beta for Vista.

After doing so, i am still facing the very same problem & error message.

I've tried so many different suggestions prior to uninstalling IE7, and now i just don't know what to do.

I'd like to remove IE8 and try re-installing IE7 (*if* i can find the download for Vista 34! Does anyone know if there is a download for IE7 for Vista 34??) -However: how can i uninstall IE8 when it does not appear in the Add/Remove programs list?

I am completely flustered. Final exams are here, and i'm terrified that i will lose connectivity with Opera as well & lose all connectivity while trying to get through this next week!

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems here -and if so: any solutions?

(Please have mercy on me: i do well with basic computer skills, but am definitely not up to date with much of the computer terminology -nor am i savy enough to follow instructions for making changes to system registry, etc.)

I did what you said and now I.E. is working properly. However I don't think I want to deal with Firefox any more.

Thank you so much. I did exactly what you advised and the problem is now resolved.

Vista, if you get a pop-up message each time you log out of the Internet Explorer", that states "Internet Explorer has stopped working",follow these steps: (I've pretty much tried every other solution, but was not successful), but this did work for me....Yipeeeee!

Go to Internet Explorer
    Click on Tools - on the right side
    Click on Internet Explorer at the bottom of
    Go to the General Tab
    Check the box that says, Delete the browsing history on exit
    Click Delete
    Click Apply
    Click Ok
    Go to the Advanced Box in the Internet options
    Click on Reset
    Check the box that says, Delete personal settings
    Go out of intenet explorer
    Sign back into internet explorer

You Should be good to go!
    Last edited by msqv1; 03-02-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Perhaps this new beta product from microsoft will help with this and many other problems. http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/?fi=50195

That is a weird issue I face always with Internet Explorer. I am not able to figure out the reason. Many time I found the browser freezes and fade to white. It crashes and then on reboot it works properly. I am using a tool called JoinMe for screensharing. This just displays my screen to other visitors. Last week I had opened the same in Internet Explorer to see someone's screen. I was using Internet Explorer at that time. The screen did not load at all. The same worked well in Firefox. I think Internet Explorer supports the least functionality on web. There might be proper updates for that.

You must upgrade to new version in that case. Whenever you face such issue just run Windows update or use the error reporter tool. Internet Explorer also faces issue if you had number of addons installed in the web browser. You will need to disable or eliminate some of them. The browser freezes may be because of some add-ons that are corrupted or freezes in between. Check also that there are no useless toolbar installed in your browser.