Thread: Error: Display Driver R300 stopped responding

Error: Display Driver R300 stopped responding

I am using brand new Vista since past few months. It was working good but something went wrong suddenly. Whenever i start my computer i use to get an error message saying something like this:

"Display Driver R300 stopped responding and has recovered".

Can anyone please tell me what is it related to? Is is something serious? What can I do to fix it? Thanks for all your helps.

Disable Dreamscape perhaps, if you have NVidia 8800

Sorry to bring an old thread to life but I have a DELL VOSTRO 200 with the ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256 MB. It's been fine for the first week, last night I installed the latest ATI drivers (BIG MISTAKE), all day today and I'm talking every 10 mins I get the R300 error or the atikmdag error.

The screen flashes black, the resolution changes and after it's done this a few times the system either locks or reboots.

I've spent the last hour or so doing what I can before it locks, it works perfectly in safe mode by the way.

I've tried all the suggestions I've found on google, i.e. windows classic theme, disabling aero (never had it enabled to be fair), system restore, removing items from startup but nothing worked.

I'm at the stage now where I've removed everything ATI using the uninstall utility (still can't get rid of the catalyst install manager though, any help would be appreciated) and I'm now using a standard vga driver.... the system has been solid ever since, obviously it looks a mess but it's working. I think that's proof if any that it's the ATI drivers causing me grief.

Re: Error: Display Driver R300 stopped responding

This is probably because of the driver. Did you tried downloading the most recent driver from ATI's official website and installed them on your system? Still getting the same error?

If yes, then probably there would some program which you might have installed recently. You should try uninstalling the same and see if the problem gets solved. Alternatively you can also try restoring your system to any previous restore point.

Thank you very much for your replies guys. I tried installing the drivers from ATI website but that seems to be working fine. Let me tell you that i am having ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256 MB DVI/VGA output with 1xS-Video output on my system. Surprisingly my Vista is not allowing me to restore my system. I dont know what could be the reason. And yeah, i haven't installed any thing on my system in past 1 month. so this is surely not because of any program.

Do you update your system regularly with Windows Updates? If not, you should do it. Better you should try running Windows update right now. Possibly it may fix the problem by getting the required drivers. If that doesn't fixes the problem then go to Device Manager, uninstall existing ATI driver, restart the PC and let Windows install the drivers itself. See if that fixes the problem.

Re: Error: Display Driver R300 stopped responding

I found the answer for (display driver r300 stopped responding)

Go to this site to download updated drivers

You have to pay $29 but once you pay, click the search on that program. It will search for the drivers and update all your hardware drivers.
    --After finding the drivers, you have to click install to install every update on your computer. I hope that helps.