Thread: Windows Vista RTM Backup Error 0x80070002

Windows Vista RTM Backup Error 0x80070002

I had scheduled backup on Windows Vista RTM. The backup copies some important files on rewritable DVD. It is a automated process. I am getting error and the backup fails to complete. The error code is 0x80070002. The message in the error indication that the system cannot find the specified file. I do not know anything about this. What should I do to fix the problem. Thanks.

Can you tell me which backup software you are using. Is it Windows internal backup tool or you are using some third party software. I think you must check in the logs first and locate the detail on error. You will be able to find the associated files which are causing the issue. Also just for testing purpose, try a different working DVD. There can be problem with the DVD also.

Here is a helpful link that can provide you a bit more information on this issue. I am using Windows Vista here. I am facing the same thing. I was looking for solution on web and located the below link. It tells clearly that the problem appears if the specified folder that you want is not available in the location. That is the reason the backup fails. I re-configured the backup and it started working. I am using the internal backup software of Vista.

Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7

If you can edit Windows registry then I can offer you a small help. For that type regedit in Start > Run box and hit enter. You can see registry editor. In that look for -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software//Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList. You can see a .bak file in that. You can try removing the key and then reconfigure the backup. Take a backup before doing that. Just go to File > Export and save the key somewhere.

ME TOO! The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)

I am having this problem also. Either way when I use "Back up files" or "back up computer" it give me the error. I have never used backup but last week a Microsoft "tech" created and deleted the kind of identity or new user profile thingy that the last person spoke of. I have no idea what a registry is or how to fix one. The case number the Tech was working on is still open and is: 1034377541. Vista Ultimate on a new Dell. Between Dell and Microsoft in one month I have had over 100 hours of tech support issues and still can not do half of what I could do on my 4 year old notebook running XP. Can you help me with the backup part?

Thank You,

re: Windows Vista RTM Backup Error 0x80070002

I will be a bit risky to modify the system registry. The backup error appears due to many reason. The most common is change in the backup location. And above all you are trying to backup your files on a DVD drive. You must get a new one and then check the backup on it. It is better if you switch to a usb or other external storage. It will give you a much stable backup process.

Vista Backup not working. Do nt know what registry profile is.

I do not know what a registry profile is. The tech seemed to create annother user then deletet the user. Do not know if Vista backup would have worked before that either. How do I look for an "erroneous registry profile"?

I am dealing with similar issue on two hp systems. They both have Windows Vista OS. I have some set of photos on both system. I had configured the backup in such a way that they are moved from one system to another. The backup starts on its own which is mid day. I got that error and I did not noticed it. After few days I came to know that the backup has stopped working. There is no way to fix the old backup process. But you can create a new one. It works.

Backup Error 0x80070002

I have the same problem. One successful backup, then at the next attempt the backup fails with the error code "Backup Error 0x80070002". I have Vista Home Premium. I have purged the registry of all references to a deleted user, and I have tried to create the asr.log file according to the directions previously given but no file appears (c:\asr.log). Any help appreciated.

It is a common error. I do not think there is much to worry about that. You have to ensure properly that the backup is done on proper location. That means the DVD that you had mentioned is still working. There can be hardware problem with the optical device. You cannot do much in that. Another alternative that you can try out is using a 3rd party backup software. There are plenty of available. You can simply use a third party software which will help you to configure backup properly and it will also work quiet well.

I am using Acronis. It is a nice backup software. It also allows you to take complete system backup by creating a image file and storing it on some place. The KB article link that is provided above has some valid reasons behind the failure.