Thread: NET START STOP Service Command Line

NET START STOP Service Command Line

I am facing system error while using Net Start and Net Stop command. I had checked a website which offers a clear option to use this thing. It worked well, but still not able to figure out why the error appears. I am getting System Error 5 Access is denied. What does this means. I had manually started the services from Administrative tool that but that does not worked out much. Does this thing is related to user account control. I want to know that is there any kind of policy settings that I have to modify before using this commands. Thanks.

Re: NET START STOP Service Command Line

This issue lies with User Permission. You have to ensure that with user account that you are logged in it must have all privileges to execute those commands. Or else it is not at all worth trying by making number of changes. Read about correct permission. Try to run your cmd as administration by right clicking on it and then click on Run As > Administrator.

I think I did that before. I had used the option Run As > Administrator for CMD. But it does not allow me to access the option. However I tried to locate the permission settings, but it looks a bit complicated to find. What more I can do here to fix this thing out. Thanks.

I have written a simple DOS batch file to copy a few SQL databases, but seem to have permission problems in stopping the service.

I'm using MSDE SQL Server 2005 installed by 3rd-party software. I installed it under my account on one machine. I am an admin on that machine and my domain. Currently using XPSP3, but will soon upgrade to Win 7.

The batch file runs fine under my login. But, when logging in under accounts for two other users, the batch file never stops the SQL Service. If I go to a command prompt and type the first command in the batch (net stop mssql$css), I get "System Error 5 has occurred." (Both users have been made admins on the local box and one is an admin on the domain.)

Using SQL Server Configuration Manager, on the logon tab for that instance under 'Built-In Account,' I have tried all three options - Network Service, Local Service, and Local System. No change.

I'm sure this is relatively simple. Can you give me instructions on what permissions need to be changed and how to change them?

Just use the free tool (ELEVATE) and make sure UAC is off