Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot access internet after sleep mode

Cannot access internet after sleep mode

Bonjour. I need help to fix my laptop wifi. I am facing issue with internet connectivity failure. It was working fine, but suddenly one by one different problem started appearing. I am going mention all of them in detail to get maximum help over here. I had tried some other forums too, but there is on clear response available on the same. I have a HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed in it. I am using wifi to connect internet and surf web page. I have a high speed network on which I download a lot. But from last few days I am facing a weird issue. My laptop goes to sleep mode automatically if not used for 20 minutes. Which mostly happen in lunch. Other than this I had configured my emails in outlook and using a download manager to get some video clips. Day before yesterday my laptop went to sleep automatically. When I open the lid it gave me error that Outlook cannot receive email. Also the download was stopped. The download speed was 0. I restarted my laptop and then started all again. Everything started working well. My desktop is also wifi and I am using Windows XP on that. This kind of problem never appeared on that. What should I do know. My internet gets disconnected automatically after sleep mode.

Re: Cannot access internet after sleep mode

It looks like a hardware fault. I have a Desktop at my home which has the same issue. It also has Windows Vista Home Premium. It looks like the issue lies with this operating system. When I wake my system from sleep mode the internet does not work. I am not sure about the hardware fault, as in my system I had called the service provider who fixed everything.

Thanks for the reply. But if this is some kind of hardware fault what should I do. I am not aware about fixing that. I had checked the wifi settings which shows me powerful strenght. I need some more ways to make this thing work. Is there anyone who can provide me a more detailed way of troubleshooting the wifi connectivity while waking up from sleep mode.

Try to connect and reconnect the wifi. It looks the wifi is not able to turn on when you awake the laptop from sleep mode. To some extent this can be or can't be a hardware fault. The best thing you can do is update your wifi drivers. Just for testing purpose arrange a RJ-45 cable and connect it to the laptop. Hook the internet connection and put your laptop on sleep mode. Now again check that the net is working or not. If still there is a problem carry your laptop to service center.

First of all John I cannot use a RJ-45 cable on my laptop as I am on wifi network. The router is setup in different room and it will be a waste of time and money to bring that much wire to my room. So I am going to ignore the physical connection setup here. Second the issue only appears on sleep mode. The wifi lights remain on. Restarting is a pain. I hope there will be people who would be facing the same kind of issue. I am rightnow working on driver things. I hope this will work.

For maximum laptop there is wifi on/off button provided. This will help you to fix the issue. Try to turn the wifi off and then back on. It would be detected and show you the connection. I had a similar issue on my old Windows XP laptop. As the laptop is quiet old so this kind of issues are quiet common. I had did the driver update also but that did not worked out much. The internet connectivity can be affected due to number of users. Your laptop might not be able to gain a proper IP address from the router. Put that on a static ip and then check. Run latest Windows Update to find appropriate fixes.

Driver update does not seem to help much. I am not able to figure out why this kind of issue appear in new laptop only. I am getting a bit doubtful about the hardware inside it. I hope that can fixed to some extent if I carry it to the service center.

Windows is famous for this kind of issues. Especially with nVidia drivers. It does not work well when it comes from sleep mode. But somehow there no fix available yet. You have to use that as it is. Now there is a small utility that you try. It is called as Network Magic. It helps you to configure the internet connection and revert back your settings from sleep mode. It had worked for me a number of time. Somehow the laptop tries to get new settings when it comes out from sleep mode for wifi. This thing is being affected. Updating drivers mostly work for money. Try this Network Magic utility and then try back.

You can blame the hardware for that. If it is new it will be fixed with service center. I had a dual boot computer. I am working on this issue for long time. I had installed Linux on one side and Windows on the other. The issue is in Windows, but not in Linux. So it looks like the problem lies with the driver you are using. Try to update that. Getting a new firmware update for bios will also help you.

No internet after resuming from standby.

I face this issue with hibernation. I keep my system on hibernation when I am not using it. It allows you to get back my pending work instantly. When I turn on the system back the wifi stops working. Also my system works very slowly. The performance is hampered to great extent. I am also using Windows Vista. After restarting things went back to normal. I am also trying to locate a solution that can help me to fix this issue. I hope there will be someone who has worked on that.

Re: No internet after resuming from standby.

I am too started facing the similar issue in my laptop. But it is a bit weird. The wifi disconnects on wifi, but also it takes a too much time to detect the network on reboot. My laptop also has Windows Vista Home edition. There quiet numbers of threads that I had seen on Microsoft forums also related to the same issue. It was mostly based with Vista only. While those who were working on XP were very rare. Drivers are responsible for the same to some extent, but still updating or getting new drivers does not help out much. I am also facing wifi connectivity failure in between. I can keep on loosing connection and not able to determine how to get this thing work properly.

RE: No internet after resuming from standby.

Thanks everyone for reply. I had tried Network Magic that works well. I had used this tool to repair my wireless connectivity and it really worked very well. I had tried to reconnect with this a number of time and each time it worked well. It can be temporary fix not a permanent solution. It is also good for managing network instantly.

You're not alone!

I am facing this connectivity breakage issue in two system. One lies with me and the other one with my friend. We both have identical system running on Windows Vista. Now the issue lies with the wire less adapter I think. I had gone through some website which clearly stated that this is a hardware problem. You cannot do much in that. I had also sent a number of reports to Microsoft, but there is no clear reply on the same.

Re: You're not alone!

Does the antivirus can be a reason behind that. Because when I turn of my antivirus connection the wifi is never interrupted. I found at the time of fresh installation. I had formatted my computer. For getting new updates I launched Windows update. The laptop went to sleep mode automatically. But on resume it was working still. After that I installed McAfee and then the problem started appearing. It looks the antivirus has some services which is either not compatible or affecting the connectivity.

RE: You're not alone!

That is actually a good point. There can be chances that the antivirus might be the cause behind this. I had never thought about the same. But test fail in my system. I am using QuickHeal and I had disabled that for some time. But still the same issue. It does not look a software level issue. I hope that the wifi adapter in the laptop is not working well. After going through a long list of troubleshooting, still I am not able to get the right fix for it.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast