Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot access internet after sleep mode

Re: You're not alone!

Now I cannot say much in this. But I had seen a number of laptops that were facing issue with wifi connectivity. Most of them were due to sleep mode. After waking them up from sleep mode the internet does not work. By manually turning on/off works. Maximum laptops were having nvidia drivers which is famous for compatibility errors with Vista. While XP works like charm. Even though a old operating system, it offers a better compatibility support. I had checked a number of time, that the hardware failed to connected when the laptop come up from sleep mode. It does not means your laptop hardware is a failure. No the issue lies with the operating system you are using.

Cannot access internet after sleep mode

The same issue also appeared in Windows XP. It is not just Vista related issue. My laptop has Windows XP Professional installed. It is a old system, and was working fine. I had installed ZoneAlarm in my system. I want a bit better protection. The setup and configuration was fine and there were no errors. Now when I connect my wifi the internet works. But after resuming from Sleep Mode the same thing appears. I am not at all able to access the internet after getting laptop wake from sleep mode. This has became a complicated to handle now. I had removed ZoneAlarm but the issue still lies. So I am not able to figure our whether this issue lies with hardware or antivirus.

I also can't access the internet after laptop wakes upfrom sleep mode

This is a very broad issue and common with many laptop. My uncle has a laptop. It has integrated sigmatel wifi adapter. Most probably at the time of surfing things went well. The wifi is slow but it is reliable. Last night he forgot to shutdown his laptop. It went into sleep mode automatically. In the morning when he turned on the wifi failed to connected. I had checked the tool which is mentioned in this thread. It is called as Network Magic. This tool is a crap. It does not helped much. I had dropped a number of email to HP to find the reason behind the issue.

Re: I also can't access the internet after laptop wakes up from sleep mode

I want to highlight one more thing here. This has been missed by many. This is a bit different problem. I am trying to use wifi Internet on a different Vista computer. I had disabled the sleep mode permanently. Now the laptop does not receive any connectivity when I try to use IE7. This might sound as weird but, it is what happening to me. The wifi is connected and it shows powerful signal strength. But to some extent I have to reconnect a number of time to get a stable connectivity. I removed IE and installed the most recent version. But that too does not worked out much. Is there any other thing which is responsible for the same.

RE: No internet after resuming from standby.

I had did a bit of workout on the same. I had take a number of assumptions making clear every error one by one. I have a Toshiba laptop in my system with Vista in it. I have a integrated wifi adapter from realtek, but due to that sleep mode issue I bought a external adapter. Now this would work well I think. I kept the laptop on standby, but still when on resume the same thing appeared. It does not reconnect on its own. I had checked the settings, updated the new drivers and also modified automated connection. But still once the laptop went to sleep mode the wifi does not connect after waking up. This looks like a bug in the operating system itself.

Re: Cannot access internet after sleep mode

I am too dealing with the same. Showed my laptop to number of different technicians but that does not really helped out much. After waking the laptop from sleep mode my Internet gives me error saying that failed to connect. Only after a clear reboot things went back to normal. Its a time waste to carry a system that needs to reboot everytime and then the Internet connection is restored back. It is quiet well irritating.

RE: I also can't access the internet after laptop wakes up from sleep

This looks like some kind of major fault in HP laptops. Because I too have the same issue and the wifi does not works after resuming from sleep mode. It had happened to me a number of time and because of which I had stopped using sleep mode anymore. I just restart my computer and it works well. I issue is the internet gets disconnected on its own. I had checked the driver and hardware status which shows that it is working well. So somehow this can also be limitation of Vista. Does anyone tried to test that on XP on the same laptop on which the problem appeared.

RE: I also can't access the internet after laptop wakes up from sl

My laptop is facing a bit different issue. We have a Dell Inspiron laptop at our office which is kept for employee usage. It has Windows Vista installed in it. It works fine and mostly we use to share internet through a cable. Now as it is moved we had turned on wifi to access internet. The laptop is turned on and kept at the corner and used sometime only. So ample of time it lies under sleep mode. But on resuming the internet connectivity fails. The wifi shows in the range, but pages does not open. I can configured to check office mails in a gap of 10 minutes. That keeps the laptop working. But there should be kind of solution for the same.

Re: I also can't access the internet after laptop wakes up from sl

Somehow reconfiguring your internet might help you. Many wifi routers have timeout settings. This settings allows disconnection when the network is not accessed for prescribed time. The same is applicable for Vista also. I had faced this thing in a old system which lies on the office network. Due to timeout settings my net broke quiet frequently and works back on reconnection. A kind of very annoying thing on laptops.

vista network working after sleep mode

I had one of the standard problems with the network not being available after sleep mode.
    Fixed this by going to the NW controller's advanced settings and turned on the "Wake from Shutdown" mode.
    Hope this helps a little.

If you are connecting through a network card go into Device Manager and open Properties for the network adaptor and on the Power Management tab make sure the power saving option is unchecked.

This should resolve the issue in 90% cases

I'm having the same problem. My HP laptop, running Vista, drops its network settings after waking from sleep mode. It's not just losing its connection, NWmanager actually says the settings have changed. This didn't start until about 10 days ago, maybe 2 weeks tops. I had to reinstall my network each time. Strangely, doing a system restore to 2 weeks prior brought the network back without me having to make any changes. Also, the system restore points showed 2 Vista updates right about the same time I started having the problem. I don't know if they're related, but all of it leads me to believe Microsoft pushed out a patch to it's already sketchy Vista OS that caused the system to drop it's network settings when waking from sleep mode. It doesn't seem to happen when I completely shut down the system though. Of course, I'm sure MS will say it's not a Vista problem. We all know how reliable Vista is (rolls eyes). Must be why they're getting ready to release Windows 7 so soon. Ah...reflections of ME...

RE: Cannot access internet after sleep mode

I had some conclusion on this issue. I had gone through the entire discussion. My DAD owns a Vista laptop by HP. He had called me saying that the wifi is not working. I got a guy who is quiet a good in computers. He tested the laptop for around 2 days and tried to find the answer. He was succeeded in finding the issue. He said the issue lies with the wifi adapter inside laptop. We changed that and the problem is solved. As the laptop was out of warranty so we prefer to spend some amount making it work fine. This issue was also common when my DAD use internet through cable connection. Which still exist. Now the internet does not disconnect when the laptop is resume from sleep mode.

samol Guest

It is not possible for everyone to change the wifi adapter. It is quiet a waste of money for new card. I had given my laptop to the service center a dozen time, yet they are not replacing the wifi adapter. They think the issue lies in the operating system and are not giving right support. However if you use your laptop frequently better disable sleep mode. There is no way to fix the issue. I had also installed XP and tested the same, the problem is not gone. There is one more settings that I want to provide here which might fix the issue in some newer models. Go in Power Option located in Control Panel and then click on Power Plans. In that click change plan settings and set never option for Put the Computer to Sleep.

Thanks for that answer. I was thriving hard to get from this issue. Well I just keep the laptop on sleep mode to save some of my battery power. It would be well helpful in many cases when you are out. But if you disable that, the laptop still works even when the laptop lid is closed. It can be a temporary fix according to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast