This is only a problem I have in Vista. I have Vista Ultimate.
What happens is that every time I play a video I get this occassional
stutter. These are not shows I'm recording or anything like that from Vista;
these are music videos that are downloaded. I know the problem isn't the
video itself b/c the stutter does not happen in the same spot all the time.
The steps I have taken so far to fix the problem are:
1. I noticed the OS came with a driver for my video card. I found the
driver specific from nVidia and installed it. I have a Leadtek PX6600 GT-TDH
but it's just a modified nVidia card.
2. The OS comes with a default plug-n-play monitor driver. I have a Dell
P793 monitor so I downloaded the most recent drivers from the Dell website.
3. I verified that DMA is turned on for all hard drives.
4. I checked Event Viewer for any hardware failure messages... nothing.
5. Verified disk defragmentation is taking place. Currently scheduled to
run every Wednesday at 1am. I always leave my computer on so it did run.
6. I verified these videos all play just fine in Windows XP.
My take on the situation is that it's a driver problem. Not sure how else to
diagnose and fix the problem at this point.