Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

cannot communicate with primary dns server - Vista Suspend/Sleep/Standby issue

Vista Help

Old 09-03-2007

cannot communicate with primary dns server - Vista Suspend/Sleep/Standby issue

Since I upgraded my system to Windows Vista Home Premium (from XP), I started facing internet connections issues after waking up my system from Sleep Mode or Standby Mode. When it comes back from any of these modes, I use to get an error message saying ?cannot communicate with primary dns server? but when I use to check my connection, I see my IP Address and DNS servers are proper.

After struggling with this problem finally I found a solution which fixed the problem permanently. So If anyone of you guys facing the same problem and looking for solution, just go through the following:
  • Right click ?My Computer? icon from the desktop and select Manage.
  • Click Device Manager from the left of Computer Management Window.
  • Right click your network adaptor and select properties
  • Click Power Management tab
  • Select "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

That?s it. Problem fixed.

Old 29-04-2013

Re: cannot communicate with primary dns server - Vista Suspend/Sleep/Standby issue

Thanks for sharing that useful info Destiny. Here is yet another solution that helped me to fix the same problem.
  • Go to the Control Panel.
  • Select Classic View in the left pane.
  • Double-click Power Options.
  • Go to the current power plan and select Change advanced power settings.
  • Select Change advanced power settings.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the list.
  • Expand Multimedia settings.
  • Expand When sharing media.
  • Click on the setting so that it changes to a dropdown.
  • Select Allow the computer to sleep.
  • Click OK.
  • Close the Edit Plan Settings window.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags: ,