Thread: Removable disc: Do you want to scan and fix?

Removable disc: Do you want to scan and fix?

I am using a 160GB external drive as well as Flash drive. I was using this with XP since years without any problem. But whenever i connect any of these device with my new Vista desktop, first i use to get an pop message saying:

"Removable disc: Do you want to scan and fix?"

Now no matter i click on Yes or NO, next time when i connect the device again, the pop-up appears again. This is not getting annoying. I wanted to know if there is any way i can turn this feature permanent off or to make Vista remember which devices are already scanned? If yes, please let me know. Many thanks.

Re: Removable disc: Do you want to scan and fix?

There is no any compulsion in Vista that you will receive that pop up for each and every external USB drive. That pop up prompt only appears when your drive has one of the files corrupted. However you can disable this message, the best method i can suggest you is better Scan your device atleast once. This will fix the corrupted file as well. And if still you get the same problem then probably your USB stick is corrupted and might need to be replaced.

Thanks for your help Gonzo, as i already mentioned, i did Chose YES and scan the device but still the pop up keeps appearing. You may be right about my flash drive has went corrupted. By the way i guess that the message appears whenever one removes a memory stick without the "safely remove hardware wizard". Do i need to buy a new flash drive?

Just try this out. All you have to do is a checkdisk and NOT a scandisk on the drive. "chkdsk M: /f" where M is the currently assigned drive letter. This is simply more BS from Vista and Microsoft. There most likely is NOTHING wrong with your drive and scanning it will confirm this.

This seems to be a problem with a lot of USB drives and Vista.

I have this problem as well sometimes. It usually happens when I insert
    my iPod.

It has Something to do with the computer not the flash drive, because if
    i put my flash drive in my dads vista business computer , its asks if i
    want to scan and fix.
    But on my vista ultimate 32bit laptop it doesnt?

I got a new toshiba laptop using windows vista and my ipod/itunes worked fine. It's only been 2 months and now windows comes up with the stinkin' scan and fix bar everytime and itunes won't recognize my ipod anymore. I've done the whole apple support discussions thing and tried it all. I've even uninstalled my old web cam software and disabled the hi speed usb controlls. (I reenabled them too) I've uninstalled itunes and reinstalled the latest version. I've even reset my ipod and deleted all my music on it that i didn't have on my new computer!!!! The times my ipod WAS recognized on itunes it wouldn't let me restore. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions??????

my usb pen drive has a problem .

I have this problem as well sometimes. It usually happens when I insert
    my mercury usb pen drive of 4 gb.

It has Something to do with the computer not the flash drive, because if
    i put my flash drive in my vista home computer , its asks do u want to
    want to scan and fix.
    But on my vista ultimate 32bit laptop it doesnt?

And yes it drives me nuts

think it you turn off/disable the autorun service it will stop that popup
    but it will also turn off autorun