Thread: Printer Always Offline

Printer Always Offline

I am having two pc here. Once has windows xp installed and the other one has windows vista installed. But there is a bit issue with printer sharing among this two systems. I am having a linksys router. I had shared the printer. Whenever I start my Vista pc I found the printer always as offline. I am not able to get the reason behind the problem I am facing. Can anyone here help me how to get rid of the problem I am facing. I had installed the printer and it is connected to the windows xp pc.

Re: Printer Always Offline

The printer only goes offline when the other pc is turned off. And when you turn it on the printer is back online. There can be some problem with sharing. It is recommended that you must simply try to checkout the properties here which will be more appropriate in fixing the problem. Just check the settings back, add the printer in your pc and set it as your default pc. I think that will be enough to fix the issue. If still this does not work then re-install the drivers back.

Re: Printer Always Offline

How are you sharing the printer. You said you are had connected the printer to the pc. I will recommend you to simply connect the same to switch or to the router itself. Just connect it and enable printer sharing. Once it is connected the printer will be turned on 24x7 and you will be able to use it on every pc. That is the best way of sharing the printer. Ample of time when the pc turns off the printer goes offline. I will also recommend you to test the driver once.

It is looks like some kind of drivers issue to me. I will advice you to simply try to add the same once again and then test back. You have to install the vista version of driver in Vista and XP version in Windows XP. If there is a incompatibility between the drivers you will get this kind of problem. It is right that if you connect the printer to the switch or router then it will work more appropriately. This is one of the best way to fix the issue.

I'm having a similiar problem. I just installed Vista Home Premium, and hooked up my new Lexmark z645 to my PC for the very first time, after installing vista. I downloaded the Lexmark z645 drivers from Lexmark, and during the setup process I was able to print a test sheet. However, now when I try to print any documents the printer is put in 'Offline' Mode in the Control Panel / Printer window, and only queue's the documents while printing nothing. I tried to run 'printmanagement.msc' as suggested above, but windows is unable to find the file. Help please!