Thread: Cannot put Vista Computer on sleep mode

Cannot put Vista Computer on sleep mode

Facing sleep mode issue with my new HP laptop. I has Windows Vista in it and it is just 5 days old. I did not got chance to work on it, but I notice a weird issue. My laptop turns on from sleep mode on its own. It happens automatically. I was surfing web, and then for some work when I went out, I kept the laptop on sleep mode and placed the lid down. After when I came back and open the lid it was still on. It looks there is some issue with the system. I had contacted HP Customer Care to fix the same but they are not able to do that. After hours of conversation I cannot get expected result. They had suggested me to restore my laptop on default settings, get new drivers and even run system restore. But nothing worked out. Also I had disabled the screen-saver and disconnected the Internet. But still nothing is working. It does not sleep at all. As per the hp guy there is some application on the laptop which is interfering the sleep mode, but he is not able to find which one. Can anyone guide me on the same.

This looks like a clear issue of hibernation. But yet there is no fix. This is quiet common with Vista computers. My girlfriend has face the same things and she had spent hours to make that thing work. I found HP guys a bit weaker in fixing this stuff. I hope they have a valid solution for this. I had seen a number of discussion based on the same. Where I notice this problem normally arises due to usb hubs. Because of them the system is unable to enter in sleep mode. Is there anything connected to your computer. Disconnect them. There one more thing you can try. Right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager. In that right click on the usb hubs and click on Properties. Look for Power configuration and choose Allow Windows to turn off this device. The same is also applicable for other hardware like NIC, modems, bluetooth, etc. Do that for all usb root hubs and I think the issue will be resolved.

I had the same problem for a long time now. I'm runnig Vista on my machine and after reading your post, it gave me an idea.
    I changed my power settings for my mouse and keyboard (device manager).
    Come to find out it was my mouse that kept my comp. from going into sleep mode. Now I just us my keyboard, and it works fine.

If this thread is still alive, I have a question of which to ask you technical junkies. I have tried all what you said however I can not figure out how to change these power settings of which you speak of. When I opened "Properties" from "Network adaptors," I could not find the power settings tab. My question is like the question above posted by charla13, but first, how can I get to this power settings tab? When I open "Properties" of "Network adaptors," all I get is a singular tab labeled "General."

My computer wouldn't stay asleep when my modem/router was turned on and I was connected to the internet until I did this.
    I don't know if this will help anyone but I just thought I would share it.
    Do the following:
    control panel
    device manager
    "click on" nvidia nforce networking controller
    "click on" power management
    (uncheck) allow this device to wake the computer

But do yourself a favor and write everything down that you check or uncheck so if it doesn't work you can go back and fix it to how it was.

In Device Manager, open the Network Adapter Properties. Select the Power Management Tab, and uncheck the box Allow this device to wake the computer (or something like that). This was causing my PC to constantly wake up.

I have a new HP computer with an Intel processor and for some reason it stopped wanting to sleep. I had the same problem as charla13, it would wake up immediately after it went to sleep. I knew something was making the computer wake up so I unplugged everything one by one from my computer and found that the internet cable was causing it to wake up. For a few weeks now I have been unplugging the internet cable form the back of my computer before I put it to sleep mode, but it’s a pain. I tried what ttom and tralfaz said about going under Network Adapter, and it worked. For me, I had to go under “control panel” then “device manager” and then under “Network adapter” and then I opened the properties for my internet cable which was called “Intel(R) -2 Gigabit Network Connection” and when i was under the properties of that, i went under “power management” and unchecked the box labelled “Allow this device to wake my computer”. So again, thanks a lot for the help.

You need to right click on the specific network adapter card under Network
    Adapters (there may be several, choose the one you are working on) and
    choose properties. Then you will see all the tabs.

re: Cannot put Vista Computer on sleep mode

Great tips, all of these. Thanks.

For me the solution was to disable (uncheck)
    "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
    under the Mouse under Mice in Device Management.

This was XP not Vista, FWIW.

Also, it would only lightly sleep, with the CPU fan still running.
    I had to get hold of dumppo.exe from MS and run the command
    dumppo admin minsleep=S3
    to enable proper sleep.

I hate people that just post useless comments, it really adds to the frustration other people are experiencing, trying to fix a problem. If you don't have a solution, just shut the hell up.

Anyways, where was I?

I solved this problem by unplugging a USB device that was in constant communication with my PC, IE: a game controller or web cam, in my case it was the Guitar Hero game control guitar. Why this kept my PC from sleeping is beyond me.

There are also other settings I discovered while digging for a solution that you could also try:
    (Vista)
    START/CONTROL PANEL/POWER OPTIONS/ CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS

Then find the CHANGE ADVANCED PLAN SETTINGS link. From there you can expand all of the different settings for all your devices separately.

I had faced this thing some months ago and to fix that I had made some changes. Now I do not clearly remember. There is some settings in Device Manager which prevent your computer from entering safe mode. You have to disable the settings for hardware that says allow this device to wake computer. If you disable this, then the sleep mode will work quiet well.

Hello and thank you all for the tips.

I have Win7 PRO X64 home brewed.
    I was having the same issue.
    I tell pc to stand by and it wakes right up.

For me the solution was to to disable (uncheck)
    "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
    under the Mouse and under Mice in Device Management
    , as well as under the Keyboard and under Keyboard in Device Management.

As described above in davidpie post the only difference for me was to do the same for my keyboard as well. I just use the power button to wake the system up. No big deal....

Many thanks davidpie ...

~Milosz,

I had the same problem with my vista 32 bit computer. the problems seemed to show up after upgrading to exporer9. my computer would wake up after 20 seconds or so. through trial and error I narrowed the problem down to the internet input. the computer stayed asleep if I first unplugged the internet. what fixed the problem for me was to open the device manager, click on modems, click on the pci device, click on the power management tab, remove the checkmark from the "allow this device to wake up the computer" box. it sleeps like a baby now. I just hope it doesent think of another wake up in the future.