Thread: delete "system volume information"

delete "system volume information"

I am having a new computer. It was having windows xp before. Then I upgraded to Windows Vista. Everything here looks to be working fine. I am using Retrospect backup software. I use to tool to make a copy of all files from my old pc and then moving them to the new one. After copying I deleted all the files. But here nothing works. I can delete everything here except system volume information. I am not able to get rid of the same. Can anyone help me here to fix the problem I am facing.

The folder that you are talking about contains files associated with restore points. So when you copied the files you must have neglect that. The file is not getting deleted because system restore is still turned on. You have to first turn it off and then you can wipe it. Try to boot your system in safe mode first. Then right click on the partition and click on Properties. There you can find settings associated with system restore.

Try this. Disable system restore first. That will be more helpful I think. Just first disable system restore and then run Disk Cleanup. In that select everything. Log files, Offline files, etc and run it. This might clean the folder. If this does not work then you can use some third party system cleaner also. That will be simply more helpful. It is one of the most easiest way to fix the problem. CCleaner is quiet popular tool in cleaning system.