Thread: CHKDSK

How do I run this. I've just ried the usual chkdsk c: /f at the command prompt and it says....

"Access is denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode"

What do I do?

Re: ChkDsk

In Windows Vista most of the tools and programs run with Standard User privileges though you are logged in as an Administrator. Hence you need to first run the Command Prompt as an Administrator. You can do this by typing CMD in Start Menu. Right Click the Top resulted CMD and select "Run as Administrator." This will open Command Prompt with Administrator privileges. Now run the command CHKDSK and it should work fine.

Hey guys i have a very similar problem. Whenever i try to run "chkdsk" on my Vista system, it tells me that CHKDSK is scheduled for next boot. But next time when i boot, Vista boots normally apparently without running chkdsk. I need to run it any how as i have some problem with my system. So i wanted to know if there is any way to force it to run? Please help.

If you have a Vista installation DVD, perhaps try booting from that. Then use the "Repair your computer" > "System Recovery Options" > "Command Prompt" on the DVD. If C is where Vista is installed, type:

chkdsk c: /f

Here is what you need to do. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories. Here right click Command Prompt and select Run as Admin. Now simply copy the following lines and Paste them after the prompt.

sfc /SCANFILE="C:\Windows\System32\chkdsk.exe"

Press Enter.

sfc /SCANFILE="C:\Windows\System32\autochk.exe"

Press Enter.

That sit. If everything goes fine you will receive a confirmation message from Windows Resource Protection regarding each file.

Chkdsk

When I try to run CHKDSK, I get the screen below. I then try to run CHKDSK /f. At the next boot chkdsk does not run to repair the corrupt files; it just goes to a normal boot. The fact that there are corrupt files, it prevents a System Restore. I would like to know how to repair the corrupt files short of doing a reformat of the drive.

Re: CHKDSK

here's what worked for me...

Right-click the command prompt shortcut (Accessories start menu folder), and
    select "Run as Administrator".

I'm posting this here because this was the first result from my search.
    Special thanx to Charlie42!