Thread: Windows Live Messenger has stopped working.

Anthraxx Guest

Windows Live Messenger has stopped working.

I keep getting the above error in Vista Home Premium. It also says "A problem
    has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the
    program and notify you if a solution is availible."

The only other programs I have installed are iTunes, Firefox and Rocket Dock.

Initialy the error said I was missing msvcr71.dll, so I had a friend email
    it to me, then I put it in System32. He is also running Home Premium.

Eyespy1 Carland Guest
    I'm getting the 'stopped working' message for Internet Explorer as well as
    for Live Messenger. It could be that the two apps use some code in common
    so if one won't work both won't work.

I have a workaround for Explorer. Mozilla Firefox works fine. The event log
    data is not helpful. I'm not even sure the failure information is getting to
    Microsift.

Today I got the same error from Windows Calendar.

You can avoid the messenger problem a few ways:
    You can right click on the icon, and click "run as administrator," or,
    right click on the icon, and there should be a "run as administrator"
    checkbox somewhere. Worked for me.

Acer laptops and Windows Live Messenger

All Acer users, please look at this website for a patch for the MSN Messenger problem. See the following info…

Product
    Notebook
    Related Products
    Desktop
    Issue
    MSN Live Messenger v8.1 has a problem starting in Windows Vista
    Download
    eDataSecurity_2.5.3032.zip
    File Size: 37872.584 KB
    Solution

This article applies to Windows Vista systems ONLY.

WLM has been working fine for the wk or so i have had my HP laptop, although now it is consistently coming up with the "windows live messenger is not working" error message, followed by "windows needs to close the program and will notify you of a solution"
    However, it will log me in and then log me straight out with this error message.
    i have been through multiple forums to find solutions, and so far NOTHING has worked. One solution given was reported to have worked for everyone, not for me! I have uninstalled and reinstalled WLM many times, and its still not working. I am becoming increasingly frustrated with it. I logged in using a different email address and it worked for a total of 5 minutes before displaying the same error.

My windows live (msn) has been working fine ever since I had my computer 2 months ago. For the first time I have tried to do a video call on my msn and I get the message "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solutio is avaliable."

I have no idea of how to fix it...I have scanned norton...but nothing has changed..I have also deleted msn and re-installed it...

Swaine77 wrote a site for acer computer owners having this issue. However, no where does he give the site. And, yes, I have an acer, and yes the same exact error message of Windows Live Communications Platform has quit working. PLEASE HELP!! I tried several of the solutions before stumbling onto this one and none are working. Am also getting the associated printer error now appearing. HELP!!!

I have the same problem, i can't log in whit my account but i can log whit my wife's accunt, so i really dont know what's happening...
    and I get this message:

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB01D.tmp.version.txt
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBEBE.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC2B5.tmp.hdmp

I've been trying to fix this for the last 3 days, I really need some help....anyone???

sheriffdude Guest
    ok try turnning off ur sharing files i had a lot of stuff in mine .turned it off and it has not crashed and been on all day so far so good ..i think it has to do with the files trying to sinc all the time maybe there is a limit to how much u can share ..and it does all seem to run faster i was sending a pic file the other day took ages now sennding fast ..so give it a go ...turn it off

hi pursacat i dont know if you seen my post but have you got a lot of stuff in yr shared folder if so turn it of ..and when you say you can log into your husbands account is this on the same computer ..as if so that is verry strange maybe a problem with ur username or password ..as he will have same settings as you if its on a other computer well thats ok ..if not try and sighn on on a diff
    computer just to make sure that ur password and user name are ok ...if you dont have stuff in ur shared folder just leave it on ........

well dave i don't think that matters do you as we all USE short texts
    into days life and what really matters here is that turning OFF the
    shared folders works
    so unless you have had a great brain wave on fixing some 1 ns problem
    may be you should keep your derogatory remarks to your self dave ..and
    stop wasting my time with such dribble as to what/ of /and NO meanS who
    cares .......and whats more why dont you f off or is that f of ya get me

know ..or no what i mean ..WHEN YOU GET DOWN TO IT IF I FIX TE PROBLEM
    IT WILL HELP

If you are running the latest version, so that shouldn't be a problem.

What I advise you to do is;

1. Uninstall WLM using the WLM Installer.
    2. Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)
    3. Install the cleanup utility, run it, and remove the WLM Installer Information via the cleanup utility.
    4. Re-download the installer from the WLM website. (http://messenger.msn.com)
    5. Re-install WLM.

i dont normally post anything on forums, but ive been getting this "windows live messenger has stopped working" error for a while now and finally got it resolved.

All i did was uninstall all the toolbars from my 'programs and features' in control panel. Im pretty sure the toolbar which was conflicting was the Kewee toolbar but just to be safe i removed them all. Give it a try and let me know if it helped.

remove the program and install it again

Its Says Windows Live Messenger has Stopped working-

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

It'd be nice to know what the error message that comes up says! Then we can
    figure out your problem and provide you with help.

Nothing has worked for me. I have spent 2 days on every message board, help desk, MSN (and they are useless). I have uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled with an MSN cleaner. I have done a registry scan and clean. I can sign on to my husband's MSN messenger but not mine. I have version 9 WLM. I have tried uninstalling and re installing version 8.5. This is what I keep getting. Someone PLEASE help me!!

UPDATE:
    I found this advice on another forum and it worked, sort of. I was able to log in to MSN on my husband's account. But I was not able to log in with mine. I will keep working on this til I get it resolved. Any suggestions would be great. Here is some help I found:

Clear your proxy settings in Internet Explorer:
    1. Start Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
    4. Clear the Automatically detect settings check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Then:

Check Internet Explorer security settings:
    3. On the Advanced tab, in the Security section, make sure that the Check for server certificate revocation check box is cleared. Also, make sure that the Use SSL 2.0 and the Use SSL 3.0 check boxes are selected.
    4. Click OK.

Apply Changes.
    Close Internet Explorer
    Run Windows Live Messenger and You Are Ready To Chat Again!!

SOURCE:
    Well actually I can sign in on his account from my computer. I can't sign in with either of mine. And when I tried to create a new account, for some reason MSN said I had reached my maximum of accounts for the day. It was my only attempt at making one. I can't sign in with my account on his either. Either ways, I do know that the last thing I posted here did work with one of my accounts. In all honesty, I think the new WLM is the worst yet. It's a pain to get rid of and even still it leaves traces on the PC that is hell.

Oh yeah I did turn off shared files. And did everything else that was suggested. The problem is, even when I create a new account, it might last a week before I am locked out again. I can sign on to any other MSN, like my hotmail.

Today some people from my messenger list told me that my old account that I havent' been able to get into was sending them virus emails. I logged into the email and changed the pw. Well today as I was using my new account on WLM, it kept saying I was being logged out because I had signed in at another location. This happened at least 5 times until I logged into my hotmail to change the pw. I wonder if my accounts are just being hacked into...

I am starting to think MSN isn't worth all this trouble. But it has the best web cam feature I have ever seen. It is real time. But the voice part cuts out if me and a friend open a browser. I guess there is no true flawless instant messenger out there.

I finally found something that worked. After trying everything listed on 4 pages of Google searching, I found this thing called Uni Blue registry cleaner. I dl the full workable version and ran it. After it cleaned up nearly 600 registry errors, my MSN has run fine since. If it ever acts ups, all I have to do is scan for errors and fix them. I suggest anyone who has had this problem to try this. The only problem I am having now is my themes no longer show up. Altho I have uninstalled and reinstalled they aren't there. This is a much smaller issue compared to not being able to log in at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails issues-msn-jpg   msn-issues-jpg  

I have the same problem, well I tried pursacat's solution and it works:

**Note: I ignore the clear proxy part as I do not use the proxy**

Check Internet Explorer security settings:

3. On the Advanced tab, in the Security section, make sure that the Check for server certificate revocation check box is cleared. Also, make sure that the Use SSL 2.0 and the Use SSL 3.0 check boxes are selected.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Close IE

I have a different problem to everybody else. Everybody else's computers seem to log them in for a few seconds and then disconnecting. Mine isn't even doing that. When I click sign in, it says it's signing me in, but before it can finish it minimizes to the task tray. And when I click it to open again, it vanishes. It's been doing this since i was pretty much FORCED to download the new version of windows live. Also, when i click tools > options to see if I could change anything, most of the options had been greyed out and i couldn't change anything and my user name was replaced by chinese lettering. Any help would be greatly appreciated

i also faced tis problem ,but after i visit baidu i find an effective way,
    u may try :
    1)open ur C:/programme files/windows live/messenger
    2)find the MSNEncryptM.dll or some people is ....32.dll
    3)delete it then restart ur wlm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled-jpg  

Death Guest
    I have just had the experts fix my computer vie remote and the only thing they found wrong was my picture was an old one and windows couldn't recognize it.
    They deleted it and every thing is now okay. Hope this helps

I'm sure it won't help the OP, being as they posted in 2007.
    Probably gave up on computers long ago.

Re: Windows Live Messenger has stopped working.

Hello this problem has also plaqued me. The solution is
    1. Download Zap Messenger and delete every instance of messenger via add remove programs or change programs in Vista. Delete everything "live" eg office live add on etc
    2. Download Windows live messeneger 8.5
    3. Install this program and bam MSN WORKS AGAIN NO ERRORS.

All other supposed "FIXES" Do not work with vista I have tried everything. Version 8.5 beta still works witout forcing you to upgrade before you can sign in. MSN PLUS still works with this version. 100% working. This is the fix until microsoft gets off their a$$es to fix the new messenger.

keubo123 where did you find a copy of windows live messenger 8.5? I keep coming up with newer builds

Thanks Doug

You can download the original standalone setup installer for Windows Live Messenger 8.5 from external link here. You first need to uninstall the latest version first by going into: Start
    control panel
    add&remove programs
    'windows essentials'
    remove

so I loaded the 8.5 version and it opens OK but wants to force me to upgrade when I start it up. Will that not lead me back to the same problem?

How do I prevent the upgrade or do I need to prevent it?

Doug