Thread: Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working

Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working

I tried searching help on Web regarding my problem but dint found anything helpful, hence need some urgent help from you all guys. I am a Windows Vista desktop, want to install Ms Office 2007 on the same. But whenever i start the setup, it ends up with an error message saying:

"Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working."

I dont know where is the problem. When i checked the Event Viewer, this is what i found listed over there:

"Faulting application setup.exe_Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper, version 12.0.4518.1014, time stamp 0x454280c5, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004d830, process id 0xc24, application start time 0x01c7449f6ad7ef39."

Thanks for all your helps in advance.

Do you have a valid version of Office and Vista? I get the same error trying to install Office 2003 and Quicken 2007. Did you ever find a solution? I am having the same problem, did you ever find a fix? Loading the Office CD into the other DVD/RW drive did work. Also was able to load Quicken 2007 from there and not the other drive. Wonder what that's all
    about?

To make sure the problem is not with the drive or CD, you should try installing Office using a different drive. I have seen it many times where the program would install without incident if I used one of my other cd/dvd drives. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, it's a DVD R/RW
    that has the problem installing.SO the first thing you need to test is changing the drive. Let us know the result.

Re: Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 2003 with "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP) turned on for all programs and services then that is the most likely cause. To check your DEP setting in Windows Vista do the following:
    • Click the Start button and select "Control Panel".
    • In the left pane of the Control Panel click on "Classic View".
    • Double-click on the System icon.
    • In the left pane click on Advanced system settings. You will probably get an UAC prompt asking to verify that you wish to continue. Tell it yes.
    • Click the "Settings…" button under Performance on the Advanced tab of the System Properties screen that is displayed.
    • Select the Data Execution Prevention tab on the Performance Options screen that is displayed.
    • If you have "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" already selected then you need to either change the setting to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services" or add *autorun.exe* to the exception list. To add *autorun.exe* (depending on which you are using) to the exception list do the following:
    • Click the "Add…" button at the bottom of the screen.
    • You will then see an "Open" dialog. You need to navigate to the folder that *autorun.exe* is in and select the program.

Once you have added *autorun.exe* to the exceptions list click the OK button. You will need to restart Windows before the change takes effect. Once you have completed the steps above Windows should allow installatio to run with DEP turned on.

AFTER DOING THIS AND INSTALATION IS COMPLETE REMOVE AS IT CREATES A SECURITY PROBLEM IF LEFT IN

But it doesn't work....

The message :
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: setup.exe_Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper
    Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014
    Application Timestamp: 454280c5
    Fault Module Name: setup.exe
    Fault Module Version: 12.0.4518.1014
    Fault Module Timestamp: 454280c5
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000396a
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 1964
    Additional Information 2: 49a907fa5d05106178bafcfeedcb73dc
    Additional Information 3: 2971
    Additional Information 4: a1fdba9a6246433d2126a9c596ae0d20

It's still appear....
    How to solve this problem?

I too have the same problem on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit RTM (was an upgrade from Vista Home Premium 32bit where Office Ultimate 2007 was already installed).

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-18T06:12:00.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>111671</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>amarion-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>setup.exe_Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper</Data>
    <Data>12.0.4518.1014</Data>
    <Data>454280c5</Data>
    <Data>OSETUP.DLL</Data>
    <Data>12.0.4518.1014</Data>
    <Data>454176a8</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>002768b0</Data>
    <Data>23c0</Data>
    <Data>01ca1fc5fe981d85</Data>
    <Data>E:\setup.exe</Data>
    <Data>E:\Ultimater.WW\OSETUP.DLL</Data>
    <Data>09cb047c-8bbe-11de-ba86-001d60c1292a</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

This worked perfectly... thanks so much... I've been scratching my head for about 3 months now until I found this... you should get a job in Microsoft!!

sounds nice!!
    however, the problem of mine has not been solved. i cannot set up Office 2007 on the windows vista home basic, also, the other program's setting up is hard to install. when i install programs other than office 2007 and 2010, i need to install 2 or 3 times, but for the Ms Office, no matter how many times i tried to install, still it does not work saying Microsoft setup bootstrapper has stop working, a problem caused windows to stop working. windows will notify when solution is found.

also, for my windows 7 ultimate, it has no problem when installing programs, but when i connect phone to ovi suite, everything is alright except images and videos because when i go to images and videos on ovi suite, it says a problem caused windows to stop working, windows will notify when solution is found..

millions thanks in advance for any one who could help providing me the solutions..

have a nice day everyone... :-D

again, "Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working"

first it says "windows is collecting more information about the problem. This might take several minutes..."

then it says "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

can anyone help me???
    the windows is Vista Home Basic
    Last edited by blissful rainbow; 11-10-2010 at 12:31 PM.

THIS WORKED FOR ME FOR INSTALLING OFFICE PROFESSIONAL 2007 - GOOD LUCK :)

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 2003 with "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP) turned on for all programs and services then that is the most likely cause. To check your DEP setting in Windows Vista do the following:

Click the Start button and select "Control Panel".
    In the left pane of the Control Panel click on "Classic View".
    Double-click on the System icon.
    In the left pane click on Advanced system settings. You will probably get an UAC prompt asking to verify that you wish to continue. Tell it yes.
    Click the "Settings…" button under Performance on the Advanced tab of the System Properties screen that is displayed.
    Select the Data Execution Prevention tab on the Performance Options screen that is displayed.
    If you have "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" already selected then you need to either change the setting to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services" or add *autorun.exe* to the exception list. To add *autorun.exe* (depending on which you are using) to the exception list do the following:
    Click the "Add…" button at the bottom of the screen.
    You will then see an "Open" dialog. You need to navigate to the folder that *autorun.exe* is in and select the program.

Once you have added *autorun.exe* to the exceptions list click the OK button. You will need to restart Windows before the change takes effect.
    Once you have completed the steps above Windows should allow installatio to run with DEP turned on.

AFTER DOING THIS AND INSTALATION IS COMPLETE REMOVE AS IT CREATES A SECURITY PROBLEM IF LEFT IN

HOPE THIS HELPS

thank u so much for ur reply, but i could not find the file autorun.exe, is it inside the folder Office 2007? oh, i install through software folder not CD or DVD.
    by the way, i have tried to check on "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services", still, it does not work... :-( i dont know what to do then..

Quote Originally Posted by topazale View Post
    This worked perfectly... thanks so much... I've been scratching my head for about 3 months now until I found this... you should get a job in Microsoft!!
    Could you please tell me how to do with the code? i have encountered the same issue, but i dont know how to use this solution which made me so anxious to hear that it worked perfectly...

If you have installed an unlicensed version of Office and the trial period has run out you may need to have MS remove it for you. Go to this site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301 and run the "Fix It For Me" for the version of office. It will remove all traces of the version of office you have installed. You can then re-run the installer and it will work.

Dears,
    kindly be informed that i faced this message and it was a virus in my source programs and not a problem from the operating system.
    Thanks,
    Baher M. Samir