Thread: No delete for sync partnership

chris Guest

No delete for sync partnership

I'm running Vista Ultimate and wish to remove a sync partnership with
    a network share. When I open up the Sync Center and click the
    partnership, there isn't a delete option. Any idea how I can remove
    this? Please, it's driving me crazy.

Me too, i'm having exactly the same problem.
    Disconnecting does not do anything.... once you reconnect the drive it shows
    all the syncs again.... this is such a pain in the ass, and nearly crashed
    my hard drive

prob I cant delete the disconnected share... so its forever in my sync folder..
    delete is greyed out....
    Id either have to connect back to the shared, or find it hidden somewhere on my local drive...

I gaveup and disabled the whole Offiline service...
    Offline is a sloppy unreliable mess....
    what a dumb concept.. copy/ pasting is easier and safer..
    and ot dpesnt kill system resource like offline does..

also if you run sysinternals procmon (free & no install needed)... you will see a a million processes relating to offline files... BIG MESS

ITinerant Guest

Re: No delete for sync partnership

If I'm understanding correctly, try this...

In Windows Explorer or "Computer" select Explore and right click on mapped
    network drive and select "disconnect".
    That should delete your sync partnership I believe. I hope I understood
    your problem correctly.

Seems like this would work -- after all the "check-mark" is the universal computer symbol for "click me again to turn me off/revers this action" --- apparently though, microsoft missed that meeting, or more likely they did a half ass job on the operating system -- because they were to focused on preventing piracy. Which would be ironic considering it was cracked and pirated the same month it came out.

Sure vista has a FEW neat features -- but all in all -- this is what I would have expected in 2003-2004. XP camp out in 2001 -- In the 6 years from 95-2001 we saw Win95/Win98/Win2K/WinMe/WinXP -- so 5 versions going from 95 to XP. Then in the next 6 years -- we go from XP to vista?!?!? Half the cool features can be done with third party software on XP, and have been included in Mac and Linux operating systems for about a year or two prior to Vista.

I was really hoping that the fact microsoft was taking thier sweet freakin time with vista, would mean that they would actually have thought stuff through. How foolish of me to ever have ANY faith whatsoever in microsoft's ability to make anything good! (aside from keyboards -- they make pretty good keyboards -- that about the ONLY positive thing I can say about them)

Sorry for that rant -- I had to vent a little....

Anyway - back to the point at hand -- when you try to "uncheck" the "always availaible offline" -- NOTHING happens -- it just stays checked. BRILLIANT MICROSOFT!!!!

And from the looks of things so far -- I think we all might just be stuck, until they release a patch to fix the problem, or someone strolls along and tells us the backdoor way.

gerard.nicol@tapetrack.com Guest
    I was also looking for an answer to this problem.

I think I have the answer.

It appears you can not remove a sync partnership until you have
    resolved all discrepencies.

If you select each descrepency and resolve it by either deleting the
    local or remote copy you can then select the share and delselect the
    sync option.

It appears that it has been a while since someone posted to this thread. After doing a Google search, I stumbled across this forum thread. I want to thank all the contributors of this thread as all suggestions have helped me more than words can describe. I have a few other things to add as well as to describe the result of following all the provided suggestions.

Steven Bland’s method of removing offline files works well if you need to remove specific Offline Files from the Sync Partnership list. In the event that you want to remove ALL files/sync partnerships, disable Offline Files, and then click on the “Disk Usage” tab and click the button labeled “Delete Temporary Files”. This will automatically remove all Offline Files for you. You can re-enable Offline Files if you desire and re-establish any desired sync partnerships.

I found the answer to this problem. In Sync Center on the left select the link for "Manage offline files". The next screen will give the option of stop syncronizing. Rebooting is required for this to take effect. After the reboot, the sync partnership is no longer active.

I tried Sync Center once, then tried to remove with no luck. After no reply from MS support (no surprise), I poked around and found a way to disable.

In control panels, select Offline Files. Here you are able to delete and clean up temporary local files and disable the offline files feature. After a restart, there are no "partnerships" and no systray application running.

You need to do it manually.
    Go to C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace

and then delete the server or folder that you want to remove from you partnership, and reboot.

It's possible that you have to take ownership of certain folder.

Ex: to take ownership of the folder CSC

- right click the CSC folder, chick properties.
    - click security
    - advanced
    - owner
    - edit
    - select or add your username to the list
    - put a check mark in "REplace owner on ..."
    - OK

Do this for the folder that you are not allowed to see.,,,

I did this and was able to delete the offline files I didn't want but subsequently I think something is messed up now. I can't seem to be able to add new share to "Make Available Offline", as well "Offlinecreate new , but I think I have messed out Offline File "Disk Usage" is off. It just sees 99GB. I assume I need to set things back to the original permissions. Do you know what that maybe?

Steven Bland Guest
    I experienced the same symptoms as described in this thread:
    unability to remove a sync partnership

Followed suggestion from jotr25 to remove the sync folder from c:\windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace

It worked: sync partnership was no longer there but at this point i had the same problem smoothmoosehad: Offline folders no longer worked.

I got it to work again by restoring the permissions on folder c:\windows\CSC to its original settings: simply by following the same prodedure as cited by jotr25 but then removing myself from the permission entries list and making sure the checkbox include inheritable permissions from this object's parent was checked. In this way the folder regained it's original security settings and after a reboot offline folders worked again

Start -> Offline Files -> View your offline files -> select the folder, hit delete

I think this is a case of really bad UI design. They should have given access to this function in Sync Center.

Believe it or not, many devs will tell you that Vista is the first time in Windows that the internals are better than the presentation. (Most people, not even most "IT experts" know this to be true...)

edit: okay, that didn't work. The Vista Help isn't very helpful either:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...13f6a1033.mspx
    Some sync partnerships may not offer an option to delete the partnership. If they don't have this option, try opening the program or location where you set up the sync partnership to see if you can turn it off or delete it using that program or location.
    What they mean by "try" is totally beyond me.

The Sync center team blog is absolutely useless as well: http://blogs.msdn.com/synccenter/arc...commentmessage

Two posts in two years. Great. Not answering a single question from their customers. I'm beginning to wonder if they got fired or something for this blunder.

https://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/740161.htm

Following jotr25 post related to CSC folder, I could see that this is where
    the offline content is stored. However, I thought there has to be an easier
    way.

This worked for me:
    1 - Control Panal -> Offline Files -> "Disable Offline Files"
    2 - Click the "View your offline files." (rather than opening CSC folder
    mentioned above.)
    3 - Delete folders you no longer sync
    4 - Go back to the Offline Files window and click OK
    5 - Restart computer
    6 - Control Panal -> Offline Files -> "Enable Offline Files"

I will post again if I find a shorter method.

I just searched for solutions to this problem, and I wanted to share my experience with this problem, and the solution I found.

I had a problem with a sync partnership in windows 7 against a sql server 2000 that was installed together with a program installed a while ago. The program was uninstalled, but the sync partnership was still there. I searched in the registry and in the file system for pieces of the sync partnership, but nothing found.

I disabled offline files, found out that sql server file folder was still resideing under program files, tried to delete files, but ended up with 2 dll-files that failed being deleted, because they were in use in sync center.

I used cmd as admin, and unregistered the dll-files with regsvr32 /u nameofdllfile.dll for the both files, one was uninstalled, the other failed. I rebooted, and no sync partnership was showing in sync center, I was also able to delete the whole sql folder in program files.

This solved my problem. Hope this can help others with the same problem.

ive had the same problem and after reading this forum and had a play i found out an easy way to solve this problem.
    got to
    control panel switch to control panel home not classic veiw
    then additional options
    then network and internet { in the list on the left }
    then windows mobile device center
    then end partnerships with devices
    bingo all done hope this helps cos it bugged me for ages
    Last edited by benace; 21-06-2010 at 07:01 PM.

I don't even understand what this sync feature is and I'm an engineer. It just popped up yesterday and I want to get rid of it. I want it out of the tray. I set it for hidden and rebooted and it was invisible, but now the icon is back.
    Why would it try to sync my 16 gig ready boost flash drive? I have a little 4 gig stick I always keep plugged into my hub and it tried to sync it to something too. It didn't try to sync my 320 gig mini HD that is always plugged into the powered hub.
    I have an H-P Notebook (another nightmare) running Vista Home Prem 64 bit.
    I chased it down to it's origin with a computer search utility I have but I was only able to delete half of it. Perhaps I'll run it down again and take ownership then see if I can delete the remainder of it.
    I don't even see it in msconfig or I'd just turn it off like other junk on this machine. I'm tired of having to perform restores and recoveries so I just turn them off if my expansive collection of utilities can't remove or destroy them. I have utilities that nearly remove the solder from the board but they dig so deep that they often cause other problems.
    Incidentally, you guys are hilarious to read, you sound like I do when I'm pissed about the stupidity and/or negligence of companies and incompetent engineers. I personally like Vista because you can get your hands greasy with it unlike 7 which I had and sold. It was too consumer oriented. But design and build the OS and programs right before you market it, H-P, Microsoft, et al.