Thread: Can't switch users

Can't switch users

I had upgraded to Windows Vista from Windows XP. The upgrade process was fine but somehow I am facing a problem with creating user account. I had created 2 accounts in the same. In which one is admin and the other one is limited. Now there is a issue with user account switching. First at the time of creating new account I got some errors. It was gone on reboot. But when I try to switch between accounts the system freezes on the welcome screen. But it works fine when I restart the pc and login to an specific account individually.

The issue lies with corrupt user profile due to which you are unable to switch between different accounts. That is why it is always recommended that you must run a setup from scratch. Never upgrade or install windows over your existing operating system. Or else you get this kind of problem. You just install windows vista back again and do not forget to wipe out everything. Clear format the partitions and then test back. I think that would be more than enough to fix the issue.

It is right. The problem lies with corrupt user profile. It is essential that you must simply run a clean setup which will fix the issue and it is one of the best way to get rid of problem you are facing. Just boot from vista disc and then run a clean setup. Format the partition first so that any other pending files in the system are wiped out. In this way all damage files will be replaced. Some time files from old system are not compatible or not proper due to which you get the problem.

Re: Can't switch users

According to me the problem lies with invalid registry settings. I am not really aware about the exact process to fix that but you can simply use a good registry cleaner software here. Ample of them are available on the web and can fix the problem you are facing. You can download a free tool from internet and use that also. I think that will be quiet enough to fix the problem. Some damage settings are common cause of issue. Just get the registry fixed and the issue will be resolved.

I had also got the same issue. I tried many things but nothing worked. I use Windows key + L to lock the desktop. But when I click on any account the system freezes and it works only after reboot. My system was old so I used system restore which worked. But that was for less time. Then I simply ran a repair setup which was enough for fixing the issue. So you also do the same thing. Use the Vista disc to install everything back properly from scratch and then test back.