Thread: Can't find CD driver??

Can't find CD driver??

I have a Windows XP desktop computer on which i am trying to install a fresh Vista RTM version. While running the setup it gets freezed on about 6% of the progress. I am trying to install it from the DVD which was burned with Vista ISO.

I have tried running the setup about 5 times but yet the same result, it gets hand searching for drivers. I dont have any idea what is wrong. Even running the setup from second burned DVD wont fix the problem. I dont know what is it searching for. Can anyone please help me out with this?

Re: Can't find CD driver??

I have a bit confusion with your post. As your subject title says "CD driver", what exactly do you mean? Is it CD or DVD writer driver? If yes, let me tell you that most of the CD/DVD writers wont have drivers but they firmware updates. So i will suggest to update your DVD writer's firmware if Windows XP is still running on that particular system. If you have formatted the same then let me know what CD or DVD writer you're using.

Apart from this, you said that vista setup hangs looking for driver. But if they don't use a driver they aren't "hanging looking for a driver." Anyways, just try out these few troubleshooting and let me know what happens:

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2 http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;320553

Well the problem is not with your DVD or ISO files friends, problem is with your DVD Drive/writer. I had a similar problem in past where the setup use to get stuck in between for CD driver. After lots of troubleshooting finally i managed to fix the problem by replacing LG DVD writer with a ASUS DVD writer. If you have any alternate drive, try changing the same.

Thank you very much for your helps guys. You were correct problem was with the hardware itself. As suggested by you guys i tired installing a new DVD-RW and now it works fine. Thanks for the tips though..

Thats good to hear. But can anyone please tell me that aren't the drivers in this case in the firmware of the cd drives and not in either XP or Vista? Somewhere i have read that the new Windows Vista is showing narrower tolerances and there are several hardware products which works fine with Windows XP but not with Vista. Do you have cables you can swap out to
    check with?

Yeah, you are correct to some extent Spiritual. As far as i know about Windows, drivers for all cd/dvd drives use to be cdrom.sys. And if XP can read it comfortably and at the same place Vista cannot detect certain drives after installation is most odd indeed. Let see what happens in future.