Thread: vista 5744 on dell c640 laptop 512mb ram, NO ethernet drivers available

vista 5744 on dell c640 laptop 512mb ram, NO ethernet drivers available

I have a Dell C640 laptop with 512MB of RAM. I am using Windows XP on this since years successfully. Now I downloaded Windows Vista build 5477, uninstalled Windows Xp and successfully installed Vista without any problem. But the problem I am facing now is Ethernet Card is not getting detected on this laptop anymore. I guess this is because missing drivers but when from where can I get the same? Please help.

re: vista 5744 on dell c640 laptop 512mb ram, NO ethernet drivers available

Vista has huge problems with Drivers. It requires all compatible drivers to run properly but as their is yet no Final version of Vista released, many manufacturers dont have the drivers yet. You will need to wait until Dell publishes the driver on their official website.

Hello Doran. What makes you think that the problem is because of missing driver? Cna you tell me what card is it and did you tried searching it any where on the web? As per me i have never seen the NIC card driver not picked up on setup in Dell's with 3COM's for example every build 5472 to present. To me it looks like that the card wasn't recognized because while installing Vista 5744 on the Dell the card driver didn't load. Better before asking for help you should give a try searching for the drivers for your NIC card, download it, and the run it as admin and try to install it. Hopefully you will get the proper drivers on web.

Not a gloomy scen! as such. the drivers on the dell c 640 page on support.dell are valid for Vista and Windows 7. they are installed from the device manager route and after clicking the update driver; the path of the extracted driver folders should be given . in this case it can be as simple as
    C:dell (check also sub folders). the windows would search the driver and install it.

you are done.

Naqi
    karachi

In the same procedure you can choose the option of search automatically. The services scans your system, removable media and disc for drivers and install the same on appropriate location. It works most of the time when the driver files appropriate and manual work is avoided. If this does not work then Driver Protector is a tool that can help. It is a nice and easy use tool.