Thread: Need to replace dll in System32 with different version trusted ins

Need to replace dll in System32 with different version trusted ins

Hi I am using Windows Vista since a month. I also read somewhere about windows resource protection in this new operating system. But due to make some apps work I need to replace a version of ir50_32.dll with a different version. I know this file resides under C:\Windows\System32 folder. As far as I know when I was using Windows XP, the installation setup use to take care of this automatically but that doesn’t seems to be working in Vista. I guess Vista directory is a protected resource and only TrustedInstaller has full control over the files.

Another problem I am facing with this new OS is whenever I try registering or unregistering using regsvr32 the existing ir50_32.dll file, it gives me an error message saying “Registration has failed with error 0x8000ffff.”

This is getting very annoying t. Can somebody here please tell me how can I find out whether ir50_32.dll is registered? Also please let me know how can I update the protected file on Vista? Thanks for all your helps.

RE: Need to replace dll in System32 with different version trusted ins

Hello Naa'Il, just try out the following steps:

• Right click My Computer icon on the desktop and select Manage.
    • Click Local Users and Groups from the left pane choose Users
    • Right click your user account and select proprieties.
    • Now go to the Member Of tab and check if you account its part of the Trusted Installer group.

You should be in the trusted installer group otherwise you will keep facing those problems. If you are not in that group then simply click Add and choose the group you want to be member off.You should check if your user account its in the Trusted Installers group. Hope that helps.

RE: Need to replace dll in System32 with different version trusted

Thank you very much for your help Winckle. I tried going through your process but there's a new problem. Seems like my dont have any user or group under the setting that you have mentioned called TrustedInstaller. Now what? It is a special group that has control over protected resources on windows and is different from xp.

Re: Need to replace dll in System32 with different version trusted

Surely this problem will exist for _any_ COM COMponent or DirectShow filter? But then how do big programs such as Microsoft Office 2003 manage to install - they register hundreds of controls? I believe there are some flags you can set in the new MSI 4.0 to assist, but don't see how this can work with existing apps.