Thread: Search Protocol Host...

Search Protocol Host...

I am using this Vista 32bit system from a week now. Since two days I am facing some problem with the same. After working good for four days my computer started slowing down and it became so slow like it is crawling. I need to wait about 15 seconds to open a folder after clicking them. While troubleshooting when I checked the Task Manager I found that there is a process named something like “Search Protocol Host” which is eating more than 95% of my resources. I don’t know what is it related to but when I terminate this process my PC becomes normal.

But this don’t remain longer as after a minute or two, the process appears again and my starts crawling. Any idea what is the problem and how can I fix the same? By the way what is Search Protocol Host?

RE: Search Protocol Host...

Wow, i thought i was alone with this problem but seems like i got a Company. Even i started using Vista just a couple of weeks ago and facing the same problem. No matter how many times i kill that process or restart the computer, it appears again and again to slow down my system. I can't get it to go away... did you have any luck?

Its been more over 3 weeks i posted the issue but no solution so far. Also it sounds bit strange to me that we are the only two people with this problem. I cant figure out how to turn off search indexing... anyone know anything about that?

You are guys are not alone with that problem guys, count me in too but in my case it is bit different. Many times while working i get a pop up on my display saying "searchprotocolhost.exe has stopped working." It seems when I am doing some type of SEARCH on my computer weather it is with windows media player or for files in Windows Explorer, the computer tries searching the hard drive but comes with saying searchprotocolhost.exe has stopped working.

If I do a ctrl alt del and then go to task manager then click End Task well that don't work for me either. So if any one comes up with any ideas let me know please!

Hi this is Windows Vista build 5472. Earlier I was using Vista Beta2 and never had this problem but since I upgraded it to this build, my Windows Search Protocol Host use to crash every now and then. And due to this I am not able to do anything on this system. As a troubleshooting I also tried setting the Search Service to Manual but that doesn’t seems to be working.

Hope somebody can help me out here or I have no other choice to revert back to XP.