Thread: How do I Uninstall the DVD Maker and Reinstall it?

How do I Uninstall the DVD Maker and Reinstall it?

I recently installed Windows Vista Beta on one of my desktop. I have some DVD making of job. After Installing Vista, its default Windows DVD maker worked fine for few days but stopped working. I tried several things but nothing worked. Few guys told me that uninstalling and reinstalling it may fix the problem but I am not able to see it anywhere in installed programs or in Windows Features.

How can I re-install Windows DVD Maker? Any Idea? Please help.

Re: How do I Uninstall the DVD Maker and Reinstall it?

I haven't used Windows DVD Maker so far hence i dont have any p[personal experience with it but as far as i know DVD maker is a feature of Vista and not a separate component. Also in VIsta Microsoft has provided option to tunr on / off very few things and DVD maker is not in the list. In order to see this features which can be turned on and off Click Start > Control Panel > search for "feat" and click "Turn on or off Windows features". See if it helps you in anyway.

That is really very disappointing for me and other Vista users as you would have no way to fix or reset it separately from the system if it is not working. I hope that not to be the case.Anyways, thank you very much for your help.

I would just like to request Microsoft to please create operating systems in a more modular fashion, so public can install the "core" OS but then option it up, if they want to, with all the additional modules like DVD Burning, IE7, WMM6, WMP11, MS security, MS spyware and MS antivirus, etc, don't integrate these applications deep into the OS as you have been doing since 1995, its just annoying, and many folks and indeed EU regulators wish you would just make the OS more modular.

If you keep going the way you are, that is that a PC owner really does not need any third party software for routine computing tasks, you will find that the regulators will come gunning for you at the bequest of the third party software lobby.

Alright. Here is some more information on the said problem. To me it seems like the problem is with improper Codes installation on this system. I can say this because when i open DVD maker only with Images it wont crashes and works properly and at the same time if i open it with video, it crashes immediately.

So what i am thinking now is to first uninstall and re-install Windows Media player, then installing K-Lite or any other compatible Codec file. What do you guys think about this? Am i going to do right thing? Could it be codec problem?

I think you are right. Because Windows always need a Codec to do anything related to DVD stuffs. So probably you may need to install DVD decoder (mpeg2 codec). I don't know why MS can't just ship it with the OS. Funny thing is when I look at the Technical Support link in the Help > About page for WMP 11 my installed DVD codes appear to be from Microsoft. They look like this on that page:

Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder msmpeg2vdec.dll 11.0.5366.6176
    CBVA DMO wrapper filter cbva.dll 6.0.5384.4
    Microsoft MPEG-2/DD Audio Decoder msmpeg2adec.dll 11.0.5370.6191

You should be able to drag-and-drop files to DVDs, multi-session style. You don't need a codec to treat the DVD as filesystem disk. But of course, you can't watch those DVDs on a TV ;-)