Thread: Windows Vista having trouble preserving screen resolution.

Windows Vista having trouble preserving screen resolution.

I am using Windows Vista on my computer. My default resolution is 1280 x 1024. The lowest resolution available is 800 x 600. Whenever I set the resolution on 1280 x 1024 it remains when the computer is on. But if I reboot my computer or start it after a long time then the resolution is changed to 800 x 600. The resolution is not being preserved by my computer; does anybody know what the problem can be?

Re: Windows Vista having trouble preserving screen resolution.

This sort of problem is created due to problem in CMOS battery. You can try replacing the CMOS battery. It is inexpensive and can be easily found around at your local computer shop or hardware shop. If you had kept your computer off for a long time, the battery must have lost its power. To charge it again you need to keep your computer turned on for 10 to 12 hours at a stretch. This battery is directly connected to motherboard and helps to preserve settings like date & time, resolution and so on after the computer is turned off.

You can locate the CMOS battery on motherboard of your computer. It is shaped like a coin. See to it that if it can be removed easily. If you are unable to remove it seek professional help. The manufacturer of motherboard does not give the details of battery, so collect as much information about the battery available on its body or on the label underneath it. You have to find the battery of same CMOS number as on the body of your current CMOS battery.

The problem can also be caused due to malfunction in graphic card. Maybe you had got error like ‘cannot find nvldvm.dll’ which you must have ignored. If this is the case than the driver of your graphic card has become corrupt. Try updating drivers for graphic card and see if it helps. If still the problem persists, remove the graphic card and see if the problem occurs again. If it occurs, then something must be wrong with O.S.

I had seen this problem in laptops. So if you are referring your laptop as computer than, there are possibility is that you are not providing proper ventilation for internal heat to escape. When the heat level in laptop’s internal increase, it starts to put parts on halt. So in this process, maybe your graphic card is being deprived of full functionality causing your resolution to change. Try placing laptop in open surroundings rather than in closed surroundings.