Thread: How to do file sharing with Windows Vista SP2

How to do file sharing with Windows Vista SP2

Hello friends, i am not able to do file sharing with my desktop windows vista SP 2, I was able to share with the help of network using a Windows xp laptop to access my Vista SP1 tower, was having no issue with it. When i have installed the Vista SP2 RC, then i was not able to share anything with it. Giving me message not having the permission to use other network resource. It was working fine before doing the upgrade. I have tried the Vista SP2 Beta but that has also not worked for me, so came back to Vista SP1. I am able to access my Windows XP laptop from Vista SP2 RC tower, but not able to access the Vista SP2 RC tower from the laptop. Can anyone help me with problem, thank you.

Re: How to do file sharing with Windows Vista SP2

Got the same issue which you are getting now, i was not able to connect with Vista Home Premium and XP Home SP3, i was trying to connect it with the local network. When i have done the upgradation of Windows Vista to SP2, then i was not able to access the Vista system from XP system. I was use to get the window of asking user name and password on XP. But the main point was i was not using any passwords on any of my machines. I am having only single user on both of the machines. I have turned off the password protection file sharing on vista machine also, then also file sharing did not worked at all. Whereas you will be able to access the Windows XP machine from Vista SP2 machine. So i have to install the service pack 1 on Vista machine and then it has worked normal and i would also say that you also better use it.

I have also come across the same problem which you are having it right now, i have also done the upgrade of Vista Ultimate to SP2. So trying to access the Vista machine from XP SP3 machine then it was not able to access it. When i try to find the problem from all the shared folder, then i have challenged for credentials, but giving a valid username and password to them, then also was not working it was rejecting it. So i also search for the error in the event logs, or by the firewall software then there was no errors about it, so need to to install SP 1 back on the system to make it work, you also try to install SP 1 and keep it as it and it work properly for you. If you are having already pre-Vista SP2 installed then also it work properly.

I would suggest that you check the network settings of your both system, and make sure that you are having the network discovery turned on, on the Vista machine, you better check that.

I would suggest you to try some of the below mehtod which might be helpful for you and make it work, if those method does not work then you can try to install SP1 again on Vista system,

• Copy the dfsc.sys file (c:\windows\system32\drivers) from the running matching and you better copy it to SP 2 machine (might have same location), also you need to rename the file before doing the update.
    • When you will be renaming it then you won't be allowed to do it. For that you need you start in safe mode and rename it or you can change file permission owner to admin and then rename it

Quote Originally Posted by Evoldo View Post
    I would suggest that you check the network settings of your both system, and make sure that you are having the network discovery turned on, on the Vista machine, you better check that.
    I have done Network Discovery check and it was already turned on and both machines are on the same home subnet. While I was in Network Settings, so when click on Diagnose Network Connection Problems and then it has reported no errors were found, when I tried to access the failing remote share again, it just worked !

I had the same problem with the WinXPPro (SP3 w/ all .net updates installed) machine I set up with 2 4TB spanned drives for video file sharing in my home network. The other Vista and Win7 machines kept demanding a username/password (even though I had none on any of the machines at that time) and kept saying bad username/password after I created them on the XP machine just for that purpose.

Then I saw a TechForum note about resetting my LAN Manager authentication level. Seems the default Vista and Win7 LAN Manager authentication settings don't work w/ XP.

Try going into Administrative Tools/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options, then reset Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level to "Send LM & NTLM responses". You should then be able to hit the guest account on the XP machine (I already had mine enabled with a simple password from a previous attempted work-around).

But Vista Home Premium doesn't have a Local Security Policy function in Admin Tools or the Control Panel, or SECPOL.msc or GPEDIT.msc. Fortunately you can change most of the Local Security Policy settings from the registry. Using MS's Security Policy Settings spreadsheet for Vista, I was able to determine which Registry Key corresponded to the Local Security Policy setting I needed to change; for LAN Manager authentication, the key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel. I then looked up that key using REGEDIT reset the Value manually and it worked like a charm.

The only challenge left was figuring out what numerical value corresponded to the setting I wanted (there are 6 possible settings shown for LAN Manager authentication level in Win7 Pro's LSP). The MS spreadsheet doesn't detail the options for each setting. So I looked up the value for the corresponding key in my Win7 machine's registry (0) and reset my Vista key to match.

The only not-happy spot is getting Vista to remember the requisite XP machine’s account and password data when I reboot. Win7 only asked for them the first time and logged on automatically after that, but I have to reenter it each time in Vista.
    Last edited by GarySF; 25-01-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Wrong URL for MS Policy Setting docs