Thread: Getting “EventID 513 Capi2” error after windows vista boot up

Getting “EventID 513 Capi2” error after windows vista boot up

I have recently installed windows vista in my system and I don’t know why I am getting “EventID 513 Capi2” error after windows vista boot up, I have checked out for the same and I have found people mentioning that I will have to get required permissions for the Registration folder as the 'system writer' is not listed in the vssadmin list, is there anyone who can help me out with this??

Re: Getting “EventID 513 Capi2” error after windows vista boot up

I have recently installed windows vista in my system and I don’t know why I am getting “EventID 513 Capi2” error after windows vista boot up, I have checked out for the same and I have found people mentioning that I will have to get required permissions for the Registration folder as the 'system writer' is not listed in the vssadmin list, is there anyone who can help me out with this??
    If you are getting error CAPI2 513 with the Details as AddCoreCsiFiles :
    • RtlConvertNtFilePathToWin32Path() failed. Then just follow the below steps:
    • First get the Ownership of FileMaps in c:\windows\winsxs\Filemaps and after that just Grant access to yourself fort Filemaps folder, incase if you get any error just ignore it by cancelling it and then proceed
    • Now create a new empty directory somewhere and then the move the FileMaps there and when you again get an error saying “System Error:There are no more files” then move half of the files from the c:\test back into c:\windows\winsxs\filemaps and then test with the vssadmin list writers.
    • Repeat this process until you are able to find out which file is causing the error and after you get it then just delete the same and then just put the permissions of the filemaps directory as it was and then reboot.

Just try it out and see if your issue is solved or not.

Even I have been facing the same and I have found out the same solution in other forum as well and have tried out the same but then it is just not making any difference, I have tried this solution several times but then I am not able to get rid of the error. Is there any other solution that I can try out to get this solved??

I have been getting the same error for every back up and I get it when I am trying to run the vssadmin list writers, I have found that the issue is because the System Writer is not listed and so but the I have not yet found a solution to place 'system writer' back onto the approved list. I have tried the above solution and other than that I have also tried to get back to the Windows Installer 4.5 Hotfix but then the issue still exist, Is there anyone who has an idea about the main cause if this issue?? Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know the following:
    • Which windows os you are using and is it SP1 or SP2 ?
    • Which was the previous version of the os that you were having, I mean that was it vista or something else?
    • Can you just mention the steps so that I can reproduce the same error and then try to help you out with it?

I am running Exchange 2007 SP1 on Server 2008 x64 enterprise edition and in my case I am getting the above error when I am trying to do a complete system backup, I also get the same error when I am using the vssadmin list writers command, where the "System Writer" is not listed, I have also found that the Exchange VSS writer is having "retryable error" listed as well. Do I need to post the steps for system back up, I mean that you might be knowing it already??

I have checked out for the same and I have found that the solution for this issue is to adjust the permissions for the winsxs folder, If you want then you can try out the below batch file across your domain and see if it is helping:
    Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a
    pause
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    pause
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    pause
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant BUILTIN\Users:(RX)
    pause
    net stop cryptsvc
    pause
    net start cryptsvc
    pause

Hey I have just now tried the above batch file as well but then even it is not making any difference and the System Writer is still missing and I am still getting the same error message as well.

I have tried out a workaround and the problem seems to have been solved, this is what I had done:
    • I had ran process monitor in order to access the vssadmin list writers and during that I noticed that it was checking the files in windows\winsxs\Filemaps
    • After that I just made a test system in virtual pc and then just cleared the Filemaps directory and I also copied the files that where in the production box and during that I got the same error message again.
    • Later I eliminated some files and then I was left with one that was causing the error, which was programdata_microsoft_windows_defender_definition_updates_default_44e57bb5c1e3d0e8, so after deleting the same I was not getting the same error again.

I have been trying the same but then I am still getting the error can you just mention the steps in detail which you have used to identify the corrupt file, I mean that I have found that there are similar corrupted on my systems, any further help for the same will be appreciated.