Thread: Set Associations control panel

Set Associations control panel

When I try to open Word or Excel (I have extremely important stuff in these programs) I get the following message: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel. How can I access Work and Excel? I have tried to reinstall but still get this message. I have class reunion stuff that I need to access in the next week.

Re: Set Associations control panel

You have to also have the Program that the file is written in installed on your Computer. If a .doc file, you need Word or a Word Viewer, etc, etc:

.doc or .docx file extensions need Word or a Word Viewer to read them.
    .xls need Excel.
    .pps need PowerPoint

Here are download links for free Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint Viewers:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Re: Set Associations control panel

Thank you, but that is apparently not the problem since I just downloaded the viewer and I still can't open the programs. I bought the 2010 Suite a year ago, and it worked fine until about a month ago. A friend loaned me her Office Suite 2009 disk that she bought for $20. I downloaded it, and the programs worked for about 2 or 3 weeks. Now, I can't open Word and Excel again.

Since the programs did work, and the disk wasn't cheap, I must have all the right extensions. I took my computer in to my tech to have him check for a virus. No virus, and he said something about the program may have ended and I should reinstall the Suite, which I did without success.

If I don't find a solution soon, I will need to talk to the tech at Staples and see if he has a solution. If you have any more ideas that would help, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks, again.