Thread: Winload.exe error

Winload.exe error

While on my pc the other day a message came up saying that that the pc had encountered an error and was restarting. When it restarted it wouldn't boot up properly and just goes to an error message screen as follows:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3 Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

No software had been installed recently and no updates either as far as i'm aware. I was just browsing the net when it happened.

The computer came with vista already installed and there was no disc. I thought we'd made a recovery disc for the pc but I can't find it anywhere so there's no recovery disc either. Is there any way to fix the problem without a disc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Re: Winload.exe error

You can use Bootable EasyBCD disk to solve your issue. EasyBCD can repair the Windows bootloader, change your boot drive, create a bootable USB, and many more. This is the best possible solution to solve your issue. If you are unable to find/create any bootable EasyBCD disk then you will have to probably install another OS (Windows OS) by using the dual-boot feature and follow the below instructions:
    • Install Windows XP
    • Navigate to: EasyBCD > Bootloader Management > Re-install Vista/7 bootloader > Write MBR
    • Restart your system into Windows 7
    • EasyBCD > Add/Remove Entries > Select the entry type with Windows XP in its description and give it a name > Add the Entry
    • Let EasyBCD autoconfigure. Reboot and confirm a dual-boot between the two OSes.

Would it be possible to create a bootable usb for vista to load and repair it without the windows disc. How would you go about doing it? Thanks

Hello, try to search it on internet and I am sure that you will get many different websites which will guide you to utilize Bootable USB. For more explanation enter” how to make bootable USB” title in the Google search and then you will get different websites which will give you the appropriate steps to perform this. Go through all this steps I am sure that it will solve your issue. Try this and let me know it’s working or not. Thank you.

I've had a look around and the only ways of making the USB is either with a windows disc or with the windows files on the pc, neither of which I can access. I do have a windows 7 disc and was thinking about upgrading it anyway. Would I be able to upgrade to windows 7 from vista leaving the files and programs intact while the vista error is occurring? Or will it need a full wipe and new installation? I know it's best to back up the files anyway but in theory should it work? cheers
    Last edited by woodsey6; 25-05-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Problem is fixed now. Had backed everything up and tried upgrading to windows 7 but it wouldn't work without windows starting normally. I was about to wipe it and install 7 from scratch and thought I'd try the repair option using the 7 disc which worked. Thanks for all the help offered