Thread: Windows Sidebar Repair/Reinstall - MVP/MSFT Help needed

Windows Sidebar Repair/Reinstall - MVP/MSFT Help needed

I am using Windows Vista since couple of months. Recently I tried to uninstall a program from my system which also uninstall an older version of Java from my computer I think due to which my Vista sidebar was messed up. As per troubleshooting I tried restoring my system to earlier point using System Restore but that dint fixed the issue. I even tried installing the most recent version of Java but that dint helped. I tried many more things, all remained unsuccessful.

At last I inserted Vista installation DVD, browsed to Install.wim and restored C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar folder. It did restored something but now whenever I run sidebar.exe it does nothing. It just wont start. I cannot see it running in Task manager process, neither I get any error message. Somebody suggested me to run Process Monitor, I did the same and captured all the data created when I attempt to start Sidebar. I would have posted that log here but this newsgroup wont allow me to do the same.

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong and how can I fix it? I have tried everything I know, no ideas left. Hope you guys have something. Thank you.

It would have been great if you can send us the data captured by Process Monitor anyhow. If you want you can mail me the same, it will help me lot to analyze the problem. Anyways, until then you should go through this process. It has helped several people with the same problem:

• Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".
    • Type these commands one by one:

Regsvr32 atl.dll
    Regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sbdrop.dll"
    Regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\wlsrvc.dll"

Let me know if the problem still exists.

Thank you very much for the help Scott but there seems to be some problem. I tried going through the process you suggested but when i click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator, i found that the root directory is still in c:\Users\Wilma. Here i wanted to know whether i need to change directory to cd:\ first, then type the commands?

Please reply. I think this will really fix up the sidebar issue.

Re: Windows Sidebar Repair/Reinstall - MVP/MSFT Help needed

i seem to also have problems with my sidebar. I just got my computer back from a bad malware attack called anti-virus soft... and now my sidebar isn't functioning right. It says "service not available" for the stocks gadget and the Brociety gadget i have. how can i fix this problem? i am running on windows vista. and have all my virus/spyware/malware up to date.

vista side bar working. But gadgets aren't view properly. Any Solution???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2580 View Post
    It would have been great if you can send us the data captured by Process Monitor anyhow. If you want you can mail me the same, it will help me lot to analyze the problem. Anyways, until then you should go through this process. It has helped several people with the same problem:

• Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

Regsvr32 atl.dll

I just wanted to say thank-you i have been trying or 3months to get my sidebar working again and after following these steps and restarting my computer i finally have it back!
    So Thanks again =)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2580 View Post

Regsvr32 atl.dll

Dear Mr. D.Martin! I also tried to implement your kind advice. But in my case it did not help and also did not make harm. My problem is that standard gadgets "RSS News Headlines" and "Currency rates" do not work properly (it seems that they do not get information from outside). Sidebar for Windows Vista. Please, advise. Thanks in advance. Rgds.
    Last edited by maksus; 19-04-2011 at 11:28 PM.