Thread: repair corrupt system files after scannow cmd couldn't repair

repair corrupt system files after scannow cmd couldn't repair

I have some problems on my Vista computer due to some corrupt files. After searching for solution i found people saying to run SCANNOW command. Hoping it will fix the problem i tried to do the same. Ran the command as an Administrator, it completed successfully but the corrupted files were unable to be repaired. This time somebody told me that i should insert Vista installation Disc and repair them from recovery console.

But this laptop came with Vista pre-installed and they haven't provided me any vista dvd/cd. From where can i get the same? Does Microsoft have a recovery cd to download, or is there any way I can repair these files without this CD? Thanks for all your helps.

Re: repair corrupt system files after scannow cmd couldn't repair

You dint got the CD because it is an OEM Vista edition. Most of the manufacturers wont provide your Windows installation CD but they do provide you Recovery disc. If not than they use to have built-in recovery software on the laptop. You should try searching for the same. If you dint get it, read the manual documentation supplied with the computer. By the way Microsoft dont have any such thing for download.

I am in exactly the same boat, I ran the scannow command, but the corrupted files were unable to be repaired. I'm told I need to insert the CD in order to repair them, but my like you, my Dell laptop did not come with a Vista CD.
    There must be a way to repair these files without this CD?
    Someone please help the old Grey Man

I dont know who told you that you will need the Vista DVD for repairing corrupt files, but i can he was wrong. Windows Vista never asks for installation DVD to repair the files because it has all those required files on the hard drive itself.

You can get more info about the same in this Microsoft KB Article describing: Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista

Alternatively you can copy the following command in a Notepad and save it as .bat extension:

findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Whenever you will run this batch file, it will create a text file, sfcdetails.txt, on your Desktop which you can read with Notepad.

"run from your desktop"? how does that work? the primary (only?) reason for using sfc/scannow would be because windows gui did not start properly.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch2 View Post
    "run from your desktop"? how does that work? the primary (only?) reason for using sfc/scannow would be because windows gui did not start properly.
    You could always use a different solution ,if the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:
    1. At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      1. takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
      2. For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:
      1. icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
      2. For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.
    3. Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:
      1. Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination
      2. For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

to EINSTEIN_007

well... those commands are not functional in the command prompt under the repair mode. regedit and notepad are available, however.