Thread: windows can't check for updates

windows can't check for updates

Ok so I know this is a common problem, but I've spent a week searching on the web to fix this and nothing is working. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, and it can't check for updates, nor can Windows Defender update. To add to that, update.microsoft.com redirects me to google, and if I try to download any other things from Microsoft, it says "failed to connect".

The part I find strange is that it is only Microsoft that seems to be blocked. I was able to install other virus software, such as Avast, and Ad-Aware, and my Norton 360 was able to update. Now, I scanned thoroughly with all these programs, and I even scanned with Microsoft OneCare, which was able to run surprisingly, and OneCare found 2 Trojans, but my 3 other virus programs found absolutely nothing on my system.

If anyone can help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated. I just want to find out why I can't update my Windows stuff.

Thanks for the help

MowGreen Guest

Re: windows can't check for updates

The system can not update because it is still infected. Strongly suggest
    that you seek assistance at a reputable anti-malware forum:

hi there i had same problem for a week and could not get updates for windows (vista home premium unfortunately!!) and windows defender.
    i managed to get it going fine today by luck really......

first of all download the free trial of Tune up Utilities 2009 (google it) 30 day free trial (its also ad/spy free). once installed on the screen where it says SOLVE PROBLEMS click there then you get a menu that says fix computer and display problems press this. another menu will appear with a scroll bar on its right side, Scroll down and check (tick) next to last box at bottom it should read WINDOWS UPDATE DOES NOT WORK SINCE A PREVIOUS RESTART IS REQUIRED

Once you have done that close tune up restart computer and hey presto all updates should work again as normal.
    (let me know if anyone else has success from this diagnosis thnx)

Ken Blake, MVP Guest

If Tuneup Utilities fixed a problem for you, you were indeed lucky.
    Although I don't know much about that particular program, all such
    programs, which purport to optimize and clean up Windows, are
    ineffective, dangerous to run, and should be avoided.

as i said it was by luck and i test everything with several anti ad spy virus ware programs before i install anything.
    i am not trying to promote any application or anything just thought what worked for me may help others! i know what its like not to be able to receive updates, did my head in for a week or so. Besides the program is fully functioning for the first 30 days of use and can be uninstalled easily if it works or it doesnt. cheers, andy.